[sci.space.shuttle] "Beyond the Energia crisis"

jon@cernvax.UUCP (jon) (11/16/88)

This is a resume of an article which appeared in the English newspaper The
Guardian  on  Tuesday  15th  November  1988.   It  was  written  by  David
Whitehouse but the article does not give  any  further  information  about
him.  Mr  Whitehouse believes that the Soviet shuttle is a planned copy of
the American shuttle and goes on to give his reasons.

He starts with a brief history of the Soviet space program.  One  thing  I
found curious was claim about the demise of the Soviet moon project.

  "The superbooster designed to put a Russian on  the  Moon  first  didn't
   work.  A  damage-limitation  exercise was started.  They didn't want to
   go to the Moon they said.  What they intended to do along was to  build
   space stations.  Curiously the West believed them."

This is the first time I have heard that  the  Russian  ever  had  serious
plans to land a man on the moon.  Is it true?

On the design of "shuttleski" he says

  "In the early Seventies many in the USSR weren't convinced that  the  US
   shuttle  would  work.  But they decided they dare not take the risk, so
   the USSR had to have one too."

  "The  shuttle  design  effort  was  centered  at  Ramenskoye   airfield,
   south-east  of  Moscow.  It  had  the  best  wind  tunnel and computing
   facilities in  the  country.  It  was  also  secure.  Work  was  spread
   between  almost  all  the  major  design  teams,  the Korolev team, the
   Glushko Bureau and the Moscow Aviation  Institute.  Just  as  NASA  had
   done  a  few  years  before,  they  went  over ever possible design and
   variation of the space shuttle and decided they could not build any  of
   them."

  "They knew that their technology was inferior to that of the US but they
   had  kept  up  making better use of the technology they had.  Now there
   was the possibility that the gap between them would be just too  great.
   There was only one possible course of action."

  "There is an office at Ramenskoye whose job it was to  obtain  all  NASA
   documents, reports, evaluations and photographs of their shuttle.  With
   such freely available, high quality data, the decision was made to  use
   it  to build a Soviet space shuttle that looked almost exactly like the
   US one.  Billions of roubles, many years and much face would be saved."

  "But there were three major problems.  The computers  available  in  the
   USSR  weren't up to the job of controlling the shuttle; they lacked the
   technology to make fused silica material used to protect the outside of
   the  US  shuttle  from heat; and they couldn't build a re-usable rocket
   motor of the power  and  reliability  of  the  three  US  shuttle  main
   engines."

  "The answer to  these  problems  was  to  abandon  the  idea  of  having
   re-usable  rockets  on  the  shuttle and place them on the booster that
   takes the shuttle into orbit.  This  has  some  design  advantages  but
   economy isn't one of them.  The computer problem had to be tolerated in
   the hope that a major  internal  effort  to  improve  the  quality  and
   reliability  of  Soviet  computers  would  be adequate.  The insulation
   problem was solved by obtaining data on how the  US  made  the  shuttle
   tiles - and eventually a sample."

He then goes on to describe the Soviet shuttle as it is now, this is  well
known  to readers of this newsgroup so I won't repeat it.  He finishes off
as follows -

  "And so today, as it heads for orbit for the first time, there  will  be
   much jubilation in the USSR.  But there will be other emotions."

  "Some will worry that it smacks a little too much of  prestige  and  not
   enough  of  function  -  a combination that lost them the Moon.  Others
   will say that they have now got a  shuttle  like  the  Americans  which
   makes  them  level  and  level is the worst possible position they will
   allow.  Yet others will wonder what use they can make of  this  vehicle
   now  that  they've  got it.  They've never been in that position before
   but this is the type of problem the Soviets are good at solving."

What I was left wondering  after  reading  this  article  is,  who  is  Mr
Whitehouse  (A  fictitious  name  maybe :-)), and where did he get all his
information.  The whole article smacks of sour grapes to me.

Anyway I've just seen the launch itself on Swiss TV ... well I didn't  see
the  shuttle  clear  the  launch tower, just a lot of smoke.  Then a quick
switch to the control room, then another switch  to  the  shuttle  gliding
into  land.  As  the  Swiss commentator said, they may be able to launch a
shuttle like NASA, but they don't how to produce good news coverage of it.

Did anyone see anything more than this?  I mean the shuttle we saw landing
might not be the same one. :-)

|   Jon Caves         UUCP        - {uunet,...}!mcvax!cernvax!jon      |
|   Division DD,      EAN         - jon@priam                          |
|   CERN CH-1211,     EARN/BITNET - jon@cernvax                        |
|   Geneva 23,        JANET       - caves@cern.cernvm                  |
|   Switzerland.                                                       |

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) (11/17/88)

From article <880@cernvax.UUCP>, by jon@cernvax.UUCP (jon):
About Dave Whitehouse's article in the Guardian:

> This is the first time I have heard that  the  Russian  ever  had  serious
> plans to land a man on the moon.  Is it true?

Yes, most analysts believe the evidence is very strong. The Zond missions
in 1968-1970, in which a Soyuz was sent round the moon with animals instead
of a human crew on board, then recovered back on Earth, is considered
a dead giveaway. Soviet statements prior to Apollo 8 in Dec 1968 were
quite explicit about there plans for a landing, and Soviet cosmonauts
at the 1967 Paris Air Show told their American counterparts that
they had been practising helicopter flying for moon landing training.
In addition, the widespread reports that three Saturn V class boosters
exploded on the way to orbit in 1969-1972 seem fairly solid, especially
given the old launch pad now seen next to the Energia pads, whose existence
was deduced from Landsat photos in the early 1970's.

> On the design of "shuttleski" he says
[Whitehouse summarizes the development of the Soviet Shuttle mainly based
on gossip of varying levels of credibility that has appeared in Aviation Week
over the past ten years]

> What I was left wondering  after  reading  this  article  is,  who  is  Mr
> Whitehouse  (A  fictitious  name  maybe :-)), and where did he get all his
> information.  The whole article smacks of sour grapes to me.

Dr. Whitehouse is an X-ray astronomer at the Mullard Space Science Lab
in the UK (or at least he used to be, he now seems to be mostly writing
space articles in the UK press). He usually gets his information from NASA
press releases and from Flight International and Aviation Week, just like
most other people. His information does not seem to be based on the information
that has appeared in the Soviet press.

Jonathan McDowell

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (11/18/88)

In article <880@cernvax.UUCP> jon@cernvax.UUCP (jon) writes:
>This is a resume of an article which appeared in the English newspaper The
>Guardian  on  Tuesday  15th  November  1988.   It  was  written  by  David
>Whitehouse but the article does not give  any  further  information  about
>him.  Mr  Whitehouse believes that the Soviet shuttle is a planned copy of
>the American shuttle and goes on to give his reasons...

I wonder less about Mr Whitehouse's bona fides than I do about his
source.  You have to ask yourself, who would that source be?  Here we
are right after the successful launch, and this reporter surfaces with
what is presumably intended to be read as an "insider account" of how
the Soviet shuttle was built... the conclusion being, they're
hopelessly behind us [!] and so were forced to steal our plans.  Now,
who would be - or APPEAR to be - in a position to know this kind of
stuff?  Perhaps a disgruntled Soviet engineer... although any Soviet
rocketeer who (a) was active recently enough to have been working on
the orbiter project, which is generally thought to have been born in
1982, yet (b) had become a disgruntled whistle-blower since that time,
would seem unlikely to be given the opportunity to unburden himself to
Fleet Street.  Who else?  Why, "Western intelligence sources" in the
inimitable phrase.  Not only is it plausible that the USG would wish to
place their own "spin" on what would otherwise be an undiluted
publicity and engineering triumph for the Soviet space program... it
would be downright lazy of them not to do so!  I would expect nothing
less for my covert tax dollar. :-)

UK papers take a few days to appear here in NY, I will keep my
eyes open for this article.
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

bob@etive.ed.ac.uk (Bob Gray) (11/18/88)

In article <880@cernvax.UUCP> jon@cernvax.UUCP (jon) writes:
>.....   [The article]  was  written  by  David
>Whitehouse but the article does not give  any  further  information  about
>him.  ....

Dr David Whitehouse is the BBC radio correspondant on space
matters.

>  "There is an office at Ramenskoye whose job it was to  obtain  all  NASA
>   documents, reports, evaluations and photographs of their shuttle.  With

i.e. do research first to find out  what work other
people have already  done on the idea.

It would have been very strange if they hadn`t done this.

>What I was left wondering  after  reading  this  article  is,  who  is  Mr
>Whitehouse  (A  fictitious  name  maybe :-)), and where did he get all his
>information.  The whole article smacks of sour grapes to me.

Dr Whitehouse is usualy a very well informed and objective
reporter. The above excerpts, if representitive of the whole
tone of the article, which I haven`t seen, looks a lot like
someone trying to convince himself that the Soviets haven`t
really done anything new, that they just keep stealing
everything from the west.

>Anyway I've just seen the launch itself on Swiss TV ... well I didn't  see
>the  shuttle  clear  the  launch tower, just a lot of smoke.  Then a quick

Plus low cloud and drizzle. Bad weather doesn`t stop Soviet
launches.

>switch to the control room, then another switch  to  the  shuttle  gliding
>into  land.  As  the  Swiss commentator said, they may be able to launch a
>shuttle like NASA, but they don't how to produce good news coverage of it.
>
>Did anyone see anything more than this?  I mean the shuttle we saw landing
>might not be the same one. :-)

There was a lot more. there were shots from when the shuttle
was picked up by the cameras after re-entry  through the
approach and touchdown, and various close up shots of
officials and ground crew posing for photographs under the
nose. Presumably after it had cooled off.
	Bob.

nobody@tekecs.TEK.COM (-for inetd server command) (11/22/88)

In article <880@cernvax.UUCP> jon@cernvax.UUCP (jon) writes:
>He starts with a brief history of the Soviet space program.  One  thing  I
>found curious was claim about the demise of the Soviet moon project.
>
>  "The superbooster designed to put a Russian on  the  Moon  first  didn't
>   work.  A  damage-limitation  exercise was started.  They didn't want to
>   go to the Moon they said.  What they intended to do along was to  build
>   space stations.  Curiously the West believed them."
>
>This is the first time I have heard that  the  Russian  ever  had  serious
>plans to land a man on the moon.  Is it true?

I recall reading in "Chariots for Apollo" (the NASA history of the
Moon program) that the Soviets soft-landed a probe on the Moon.
It scooped up some soil, and successfully returned it to Earth!
This all happened just a year or so before the U.S. manned Moon
landing.  Anyone else know more about this?

Kendall Auel				   ^ ^
					  /O O\
Tektronix, Inc.				  | V |
Information Display Group		/  """  \
Interactive Technologies Division	/ """"" \
(kendalla@pooter.GWD.TEK.COM)		 /|\ /|\

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) (11/22/88)

From article <10654@tekecs.TEK.COM>, by nobody@tekecs.TEK.COM (-for inetd server command):
> I recall reading in "Chariots for Apollo" (the NASA history of the
> Moon program) that the Soviets soft-landed a probe on the Moon.
> It scooped up some soil, and successfully returned it to Earth!
> This all happened just a year or so before the U.S. manned Moon
> landing.  Anyone else know more about this?

No, the probe actually flew the year after the US landing. Luna-16
flew to the moon and back in Sep 1970, bringing home a small amount
of lunar rock. They tried once earlier, while Armstrong and Aldrin were
actually on the Moon! Luna-15 tried to land in Mare Crisium to upstage
Apollo 11's triumph.. but it crashed. Eagle landed at Tranquility
after Armstrong took over direct control to avoid a similar fate.
But I won't get into 'uses of humans in space' here, we've talked about
it enough lately. Luna-20 in 1972 and Luna-24 in 1976 also returned
a few hundred grams of lunar material (much much less than the Apollo
missions), while Luna-18 and Luna-23 failed in similar attempts.

Jonathan McDowell

thomas@irisa.UUCP (Henry Thomas) (11/23/88)

In article <10654@tekecs.TEK.COM>, nobody@tekecs.TEK.COM (-for inetd server command) writes:
> I recall reading in "Chariots for Apollo" (the NASA history of the
> Moon program) that the Soviets soft-landed a probe on the Moon.
> It scooped up some soil, and successfully returned it to Earth!
> This all happened just a year or so before the U.S. manned Moon
> landing.  Anyone else know more about this?

Yes. The russians send in the first half of the '70s two unmanned buggies
on the moon: Lunakhod 1 & 2.
"Lunakhod" was a platform carrying a remote-guided buggy which picked up some
soil and went back to earth. By the way, the laser reflectors carried by
the Lunakhods were french ones.

Talking about russians, the first man-made object to land on Mars was
russian. It's name was "Mars 3" and it happened in '67 (not sure of the date).
"Mars 3" was a kind of dart which plunged in the martian soil and then begin
to emit measurements. Less than 60 seconds after, the signal died.
Anyway, it was before VIKING I & II. The russians then concentrated their
efforts on venus.
By now, they says that Energya can send 30 tons toward Mars...

Henry Thomas			    | Phone:  99.36.20.00 extension 549     |
Equipe API			    | Fax:    99 38 38 32		    |
IRISA				    | Telex:  UNIRISA 950 473F	            |
Campus Universitaire de Beaulieu    | E-mail: thomas@irisa.fr	            |
35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE	    | UUCP:   ...!mcvax!inria!irisa!thomas  |