[sci.space.shuttle] Sun synchronous orbits

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (12/08/88)

I understand why the sun synchronous orbit is desirable for spy photography,
but wouldn't there be exploitable weakness in it too?  If all your pix
of the Leningrad shipyard show it at 2PM local, aren't there games they
can play with light and shadow to camouflage stuff?
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

wats@scicom.alphacdc.com (Bruce Watson) (12/10/88)

In article <8143@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> I understand why the sun synchronous orbit is desirable for spy photography,
> but wouldn't there be exploitable weakness in it too?  If all your pix
> of the Leningrad shipyard show it at 2PM local, aren't there games they
> can play with light and shadow to camouflage stuff?
> --

They can play games at 11am local.   ;-)

karn@jupiter..bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (12/10/88)

>I understand why the sun synchronous orbit is desirable for spy photography,
>but wouldn't there be exploitable weakness in it too?  If all your pix
>of the Leningrad shipyard show it at 2PM local, aren't there games they
>can play with light and shadow to camouflage stuff?

There undoubtedly is. I'm not an expert on photoreconnaissance; I'm more
familiar with remote sensing when you don't have humans actively trying
to defeat what you're doing.  But you might well have multiple satellites
that come over at different local times, e.g., one morning satellite and
one afternoon satellite, as is done with the low altitude polar orbiting
weather satellites.  You can also get multiple pictures of a site during
a single pass from a variety of perspectives, even when the lighting is
(essentially) constant. See the KH-11 pictures of the Soviet shipyard
in Deep Black (an excellent book, by the way).

Phil

ftoomey@maths.tcd.ie (Fergal Toomey) (12/13/88)

In article <8143@dasys1.UUCP> tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>I understand why the sun synchronous orbit is desirable for spy photography,
>but wouldn't there be exploitable weakness in it too?  If all your pix
>of the Leningrad shipyard show it at 2PM local, aren't there games they
>can play with light and shadow to camouflage stuff?

Quite so. I remember seeing a TV program about this some time ago.
Apparently the cunning ruskies in Leningrad or some place used to
haul out giant rubber submarines just when the american spy satellites
came overhead. The americans were completely fooled until a storm
came up and blew the rubber subs onto the piers.