[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Facilities

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (01/18/89)

Bevis King writes:
> [ Shuttle to moon discussion ]..[ Turn around time is ] nowhere near
> up to the turn-around required to launch a second shuttle in time to
> pick up the returning crew.

  What's the critical point in the shuttle processing routine which limits
  the turnaround time ( i.e. how long does the Orbiter spend at each station
  in the procedure, how fast can SRBs and ETs be processed, etc. )

  I realize there is only one active launch pad (?), one VAB, etc., but which
  of these causes the longest delay ?  If NASA was going to build A new
  building, which would most significantly reduce the turnaround time ?

In article <40ebe2ca.298d@dl298d.engin.umich.edu> sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken  Sheppardson) writes:
>  What's the critical point in the shuttle processing routine which limits
>  the turnaround time...

Probably orbiter processing time before stacking (i.e. still in the
Orbiter Processing Facility rather than the VAB), but I could be wrong.

>  I realize there is only one active launch pad (?), one VAB, etc., but which
>  of these causes the longest delay ?  ...

None of these things is a bottleneck, really.  There are two pads, although
39A is inactive right now due to lack of demand.  There are, I think, three
mobile launchers.  The VAB has four bays, each of which could be used for
stacking a mission (three were active at times during Apollo), although
the two that are now used for storage might need some minor work first.
The Orbiter Processing Facility has two servicing bays.  There are at
least two, and I think in fact four, control rooms in Launch Control
(although again, they're probably not all fully equipped nowadays).
There are even two crawlers.

The big bottleneck, I would say, is simply the horrendous amount of
manpower that goes into turning the orbiters around after each mission.
Little things like the continuing shortage of spare parts don't help.
--
Allegedly heard aboard Mir: "A |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
toast to comrade Van Allen!!"  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tif@cpe.UUCP (01/20/89)

Someone had described a proposal for getting to the moon like so:
shuttle takes up rocket, shuttle lands and readies for launch while
rocket goes to moon and comes back, shuttle launches and rendezvous
with rocket to bring it back.

The problem mentioned was that a shuttle could not be turned around
fast enough to make the rendezvous.

Written  9:13 pm  Jan 18, 1989 by utzoo.UUCP!henry in cpe:sci.space.shuttle
>[...] There are two pads, [...] There are, I think, three mobile launchers.
>The VAB has four bays, [...] The Orbiter Processing Facility has two
>servicing bays.  There are at least two, and I think in fact four,
>control rooms in Launch Control. [...] There are even two crawlers.
>
>The big bottleneck, I would say, is simply the horrendous amount of
>manpower that goes into turning the orbiters around after each mission.

So, now that I have supporting evidence:  Why couldn't it be done with
two shuttles?  Both of them ready to launch before either of them launches.

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif

phil@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Phil Ritchey) (01/21/89)

What does VAB stand for?

Phil

willisa@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mark Willis) (01/21/89)

In article <1989Jan19.031325.21177@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>None of these things is a bottleneck, really.  There are two pads, although
>39A is inactive right now due to lack of demand.  There are, I think, three

I thought it was because 39A was being upgraded (again), or am I wrong?

		Mark
		----
--
ARPA:    willisa@cs.glasgow.ac.uk         |   JANet: willisa@uk.ac.gla.cs
USENET:  mcvax!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!willisa   |   Voice: +44 41 not telling!

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (01/22/89)

> What does VAB stand for?

The VAB ( Vertical Assembly Building ) is a huge building originally
constructed to assemble Saturn Vs.  It's the building with the big
garage doors and the big American flag ( and since 1976 I beleive a
large red white and blue star )  It's now used to assemble ("stack")
the Orbiter, External Tank (ET) , and the Solid Rocket Boosters (SRBs) on
the crawler which takes the Shuttle to the pad.

In article <2070003@hpcilzb.HP.COM> phil@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Phil Ritchey) writes:
>What does VAB stand for?

Early on, it was the Vertical Assembly Building, so-named because
it was somewhat of a departure from the old practice of assembling
rockets horizontally.  It was renamed the Vehicle Assembly Building at
one point, although the old term continued in use for a long time.
--

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (01/23/89)

In article <2070003@hpcilzb.HP.COM> phil@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Phil Ritchey) writes:
>What does VAB stand for?
>
>Phil

Phil, VAB stands for Verticle Assembly Building. That is the large building
(largest building in the world, I believe) that is at the Cape used for
stacking the Orbiters with their fuel tanks. The building was originally
used for stacking together the 365-foot Saturn 5's and smaller Saturn 1-B's
during the Apollo program. You hear many people call it the "Vehicle"
Assembly Building I suppose because the stacking isn't done like a Saturn
5 any more. I still like the original name of Verticle Assembly Building.

Peter Jarvis........Physio-Control.......Redmond, WA.

jkl@csli.STANFORD.EDU (John Kallen) (01/24/89)

In article <2453@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
>Phil, VAB stands for Verticle Assembly Building. That is the large building
[VAB stuff deleted]

>Peter Jarvis........Physio-Control.......Redmond, WA.

What's a "verticle"? I would think "Vertical" Assembly Building would make
more sense :-)

The VAB is *big*, but wouldn't whatver the Soviets use to stack their
Energias be bigger?  Does anybody know anything about how they
assemble, say, Buran?

John.
_|_|___|___|____|_\|___|__|__|_jkl@csli.stanford.edu___________________________

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (01/24/89)

In article <7233@csli.STANFORD.EDU>, jkl@csli.STANFORD.EDU (John Kallen) writes:

> The VAB is *big*, but wouldn't whatver the Soviets use to stack their
> Energias be bigger?  Does anybody know anything about how they
> assemble, say, Buran?

I believe Buran is assembled HORIZONTALY and erected at the pad, which
is traditional for Soviet spacecraft.

Right ?

--
                                             Ken Sheppardson
                                             Aerospace Engineering Department

smile@cisunx.UUCP (Patty Maurer) (01/25/89)

In article <2070003@hpcilzb.HP.COM> phil@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Phil Ritchey) writes:
>What does VAB stand for?
>
>Phil

Vehicle Assembly Building
(I saw it on my vacation there this summer--the sucker is huge!)

patty

--
smile@pittvms.BITNET
...!pitt!unix!smile.UUCP

hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) (01/25/89)

In article <7233@csli.STANFORD.EDU> jkl@csli.UUCP (John Kallen) writes:
>The VAB is *big*, but wouldn't whatver the Soviets use to stack their
>Energias be bigger?  Does anybody know anything about how they
>assemble, say, Buran?

Horizontally, the same way that they assemble all their launchers.
Among other advantages of this system, the building doesn't have to be
so big.

In the December issue of Spaceflight are a number of pictures of Buran;
one of them shows the stacked Buran/Energia system leaving the assembly
building.  The stack is reminiscent of the Orbiter/747 combination.
--
John Hogg			hogg@csri.utoronto.ca
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/25/89)

jkl@csli.UUCP (John Kallen) writes:
> Does anybody know anything about how they assemble, say, Buran?

	There is a photo in the latest (Jan 89?) SciAm showing a
Buran/Energia "stack" laying on its side.  Presumably this means it's
assembled horizontally and then tipped up on its end.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

In article <2248@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> willisa@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mark Willis) writes:
>>None of these things is a bottleneck, really.  There are two pads, although
>>39A is inactive right now due to lack of demand...
>
>I thought it was because 39A was being upgraded (again), or am I wrong?

Well, sort of kind of.  39B has had some improvements that 39A lacks, and so
39A is, more or less, in need of upgrading.  Nobody is hurrying to do it,
though, and NASA in fact doesn't feel it can spare the money to do it now,
because there isn't enough traffic for both pads to be needed.
--
Allegedly heard aboard Mir: "A |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
toast to comrade Van Allen!!"  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <7233@csli.STANFORD.EDU> jkl@csli.UUCP (John Kallen) writes:
>The VAB is *big*, but wouldn't whatver the Soviets use to stack their
>Energias be bigger?  Does anybody know anything about how they
>assemble, say, Buran?

It's said to be bigger in volume than the VAB.  It's not quite as
impressive, because Energia and Buran are stacked horizontally and
erected on the pad.  The transporter/erector is quite something;
talk about heavy machinery...
--

marcus@illusion.UUCP (Marcus Hall) (01/27/89)

In article <7233@csli.STANFORD.EDU> jkl@csli.UUCP (John Kallen) writes:
>The VAB is *big*, but wouldn't whatver the Soviets use to stack their
>Energias be bigger?  Does anybody know anything about how they
>assemble, say, Buran?
>
>John.

The Soviets stack the Energia horizontally, roll it out to the pad on a
rail system, then erect it on the pad.  This is done whether or not it is
launching Buran or any other shuttle.  For shuttle launches, the shuttle
is set on top of the (horizontal) Energia.  They do not require buildings
the size of the VAB.

The VAB was built back when we were building real rockets :-)  If it were
built to fit the shuttle needs, it would have been much smaller.  The VAB
was designed to support a launch rate of 12 Saturn Vs a year.  It was built
with 4 high bays and the design allowed for adding 2 more if needed.  I
believe that the VAB was sized based on a guess of the eventual size of
the Saturn V (although it wasn't known as that at the time) and allowed
growth for the anticipated size of follow-on vehicles.  As it turned out,
the Saturn V was about as big as the VAB could handle and if the Nova had
been built it wouldn't have fit in the VAB.

For shuttle stacking, we use 2 high bays (while one shuttle is launched,
there is usually another SRB set being stacked, by the time that a shuttle
is mated to a stack, another is starting stacking operations).  The other
2 bays are used for storage.

marcus hall
marcus@illusion.UUCP

In article <89Jan25.095342est.9381@ois.db.toronto.edu> hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) writes:
>Horizontally, the same way that they assemble all their launchers.
>Among other advantages of this system, the building doesn't have to be
>so big.

Well, actually, it has to be just about as big if you've got the same
number of bays, it just doesn't have to be as high.  Horizontal assembly
does have disadvantages, too:  the erection process puts considerable
stress on the vehicle, and (as some recent minor accidents to shuttle
payloads and shuttle hardware before stacking demonstrate) there is
more risk of accidental damage because workmen end up working *above*
the hardware instead of beside it.  NASA thought about this at some
length before using vertical assembly for the Saturn V.
--

In article <378@illusion.UUCP> marcus@illusion.UUCP (Marcus Hall) writes:
>The VAB was built back when we were building real rockets :-)  If it were
>built to fit the shuttle needs, it would have been much smaller.  The VAB
>was designed to support a launch rate of 12 Saturn Vs a year...

More, actually, although it depends on which study you look at; the early
6-bay studies assumed 26 per year.

>... the VAB was sized based on a guess of the eventual size of
>the Saturn V (although it wasn't known as that at the time) and allowed
>growth for the anticipated size of follow-on vehicles.  As it turned out,
>the Saturn V was about as big as the VAB could handle and if the Nova had
>been built it wouldn't have fit in the VAB.

No, the VAB could have taken most of the more orthodox Nova designs, which
were still in the running when the VAB specs started to solidify.  If you
look at a photo of a Saturn emerging, note that the VAB doors are quite a
bit higher and wider than the Saturn.  Internal things like work platforms
were more specifically built for the Saturn, of course, but they would be
easier to change later.

What really killed Nova, or at least made its advocates fight an increasingly
uphill battle, was the choice of the existing Michoud plant for first-stage
assembly.  Its ceilings were not tall enough to take anything with more than
about five F-1s in the base.