[sci.space.shuttle] TDRS / Shuttle Video

fireman@tippy.uucp (03/14/89)

  Looking at the STS-29 Mission Map, I noticed that TDRS West and East
have a large overlap of coverage over N/S America, and a lack of coverage
around the Indian Ocean/India area.  Is there a reason they don't move
one over a bit to cover that area?
  Also, watching JSC TV of the TDRS-4 deployment, the video had to wait
to be seen but audio was coming.  Is there a reason for not having video
and audio all the time (except when there is LOS, of course)??

        Rob Dale -- tippy!Fireman@newton.physics.purdue.edu

In article <11000005@tippy> fireman@tippy.uucp writes:
>  Looking at the STS-29 Mission Map, I noticed that TDRS West and East
>have a large overlap of coverage over N/S America, and a lack of coverage
>around the Indian Ocean/India area.  Is there a reason they don't move
>one over a bit to cover that area?

I think it's because they want to keep both of them in good line-of-sight
of the ground station at White Sands.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu