[sci.space.shuttle] Discovery Launch: Two questions

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (03/15/89)

I have two questions (really one) regarding the Discovery launch:

1) Was this the first time a female has been used as the "voice of launch
   control?"

2) What happened to ? Harris, the person who's always done it before?

No sexist implications meant, just curious...

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.

marcus@illusion.UUCP (Marcus Hall) (03/16/89)

In article <0bPJm86JXU1010F4LgU@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:
>I have two questions (really one) regarding the Discovery launch:
>
>1) Was this the first time a female has been used as the "voice of launch
>   control?"
>
>2) What happened to ? Harris, the person who's always done it before?
>
>No sexist implications meant, just curious...
>
>					William Kucharski

Hugh Harris has been the most frequent PAO (Public Affairs Officer) in recent
times, but there have been several others recently.  Lisa ? was rotated into
that position just because it was her turn this time.  I get the impression
that it was primarily the media that hyped her job, although I'm sure that
NASA is constantly on the lookout for something to make each launch unique.

marcus hall	(I'm terrible with names, but I think I got this one right!)
marcus@illusion.UUCP	..!mcdchg!illusion!marcus

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (03/16/89)

In article <0bPJm86JXU1010F4LgU@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:
> 1) Was this the first time a female has been used as the "voice of launch
>    control?"

Yes.