[sci.space.shuttle] Freedom of information

mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) (03/21/89)

In article <4806@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugthomps@sunybcs.UUCP (Gregory Thompson) writes:
>In article <11254@ut-emx.UUCP> mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>>Considering how meaningless "security" and technology restrictions are these
>>days (i.e., public-knowledge except the public shouldn't know about them),

>Security and techonology restrictions are by no means "meaningless".

Oh, yes they are--consider the export restrictions on certain types of
software, or the restrictions on DES.  Do you REALLY think that this has
caused the opposition to break stride?  I sure don't.  All it does is
provide a level of *political* discrimination, a mechanism to legally
restrict what countries we DO have influence over can use.  It also
discourages domestic debate.

>Consider the level of knowledge that you *think* you have.

Again, if my level of knowledge has been obtained through published
sources, I will take it for granted that the "opposition" has access to
it, too.  Does anyone really doubt that the Russians have a lifetime
subscription to Av Leak?  :-)

>>I think we're mostly adults here.  I would be surprised if people working on
>
>Considering the fact that it is adults who give away the overwhelming
>majority of secrets,the fact that we are adults in any sense of the word
>is rather gutted of meaning.

Right--and have the contracts and "reminders" given to those adults in any
way affected their decision to betray their country?  Do you really think
that broadcasting slogans and "think straight" propaganda will really make
a difference?  Oh.

Personally, I take the view that a contract is between the person who
signs it and the employer.  If the employee gives his word that he won't
divulge secrets, then he should be held by it--and be prepared to face
the consequences.  I do NOT, however, see anything to justify those over-
enthusiastic puppy-dogs who run around criticising information on the
basis that if it sounds "mysterious" or they have never heard of it, then
it MUST be classified information.  That is precisely the mentality this
country needs less of.

>>Dorsett, who's never had a security clearance, and hopes never to have one.
>How do you feel qualified to comment?  I don't know your history, but
>if you have never had a security clearance, then what do you know about it??

Oh, I get it--if you give me a shiny badge and a some level of a "secret"
clearance, I'll be permitted to comment.  I reject your thesis that one has
to be a member of the club to comment intelligently.

Cheers,

Robert Dorsett, wondering which databases he's gotten into THIS time...:-)
Internet: mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!walt.cc.utexas.edu!mentat