[sci.space.shuttle] Moronic TV news coverage

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (03/14/89)

After watching another shuttle launch and flipping desperately between
channel 4 and CNN, I very much wish for a channel that would tell
the commentator to SHUT-UP during the launch.

CNN loves to play video games and share the NASA video feed (shrunk to
a tiny box) with a mugshot of some moron telling me useless crud.

Channel 4 had some bimbo saying things like: "Their waiting for the
visibility to get better than 7 miles per hour". Or gems like "The
Challenger successfully underwhent SRB seperation". Arrrrgggghhh.

Can't I PLEASE hear and see the NASA feeds? Do we have to have the
lowest common denominator?

I fondly remember the days when good 'ol Walter Cronkite would
cut over to the NASA feed at t- 1 minute and STAY there until near
orbit was acheived.

Please, please folks write your major networks and tell them to
shut the f**k up!  NASA folks, help!

    Paul K. Rodman
    rodman@mfci.uucp
    __... ...__    _.. .   _._ ._ .____ __.. ._

tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com.ogc.edu (03/15/89)

In article <704@m3.mfci.UUCP> rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) writes:

>After watching another shuttle launch and flipping desperately between
>channel 4 and CNN, I very much wish for a channel that would tell
>the commentator to SHUT-UP during the launch.

In Portland, OR (Rogers Cable TV) there were two channels that had pure
NASA feeds (NASA Select?).  These were a local cable access channel and
(more importantly) CSPAN-II, one of the congressional channels.  I know
that the local channel was set to start the NASA feeds at 12:30 am pacific
time.  I don't know when CSPAN-II started their coverage, but there was NO
ancher person overdubbing, other than the official NASA lady (which you
would get even if you had a direct downlink from NASA Select.  Check to see
if your local cable has CSPAN-II (I watched it over the local channel because
the local had a jumpy picture).

Tim Forsyth
Intel Corporation
OEM Platforms Operation
Hillsboro, Oregon
tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com

mcp2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael C Polinske) (03/16/89)

In article <518@gandalf.littlei.UUCP> tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com.ogc.edu writes:

   In Portland, OR (Rogers Cable TV) there were two channels that had pure
   NASA feeds (NASA Select?).  These were a local cable access channel and
   (more importantly) CSPAN-II, one of the congressional channels.  I know
   that the local channel was set to start the NASA feeds at 12:30 am pacific
   time.  I don't know when CSPAN-II started their coverage, but there was NO
   ancher person overdubbing, other than the official NASA lady (which you
   would get even if you had a direct downlink from NASA Select.  Check to see
   if your local cable has CSPAN-II (I watched it over the local channel
   because the local had a jumpy picture).

I don't know about the lauch coverage, but I do know that a public
access channel on our cable system has a continuous coverage of the
shuttle mission.  They have done this one time before also but I do
not believe they do this for secret missions.  In the corner of the
screen it shows something like this:

SCHOOL CABLE TV
NASA [LIVE]

It shows this even when I know that I saw it early.  so the cable
system must put it in.  I was wondering what network carried such
continuous, uncommentated (word?) coverage of a space flight.

   Tim Forsyth
   Intel Corporation
   OEM Platforms Operation
   Hillsboro, Oregon
   tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com

--
|snail mail: Michael Charles Polinske	|email:	mcp2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	|
|	     5730 North 68th St.	|			       	|

werme@Alliant.COM (Ric Werme) (03/17/89)

In article <704@m3.mfci.UUCP> rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) writes:

>After watching another shuttle launch and flipping desperately between
>channel 4 and CNN, I very much wish for a channel that would tell
>the commentator to SHUT-UP during the launch.

I just turned down the volume and dialed 900-909-NASA for Dial-A-Shuttle,
a service of the National Space Society (202-543-1995).  I forget how much
it costs, but it beats listening to TV morons.
--

| A pride of lions              | Eric J Werme                |
| A gaggle of geese             | uucp: decvax!linus!alliant  |

mflawson@uokmax.UUCP (Michael F Lawson) (03/19/89)

In article <704@m3.mfci.UUCP> rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) writes:

>After watching another shuttle launch and flipping desperately between
>channel 4 and CNN, I very much wish for a channel that would tell
>the commentator to SHUT-UP during the launch.
>
>Can't I PLEASE hear and see the NASA feeds? Do we have to have the
>lowest common denominator?

I agree.  The network commentators seem to know little about what they're
talking about.  I wish some electronics whiz would come up with a cheap
dedicated satellite receiver to only receive NASA Select.  I hate to buy
a whole satellite receiver system JUST because I want to see that channel,
but I have been seriously considering it.

Mike Lawson
mflawson@uokmax.uucp

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (03/22/89)

In article <2733@uokmax.UUCP> mflawson@uokmax.UUCP (Michael F Lawson) writes:

>I agree.  The network commentators seem to know little about what they're
>talking about.  I wish some electronics whiz would come up with a cheap
>dedicated satellite receiver to only receive NASA Select.  I hate to buy
>a whole satellite receiver system JUST because I want to see that channel,
>but I have been seriously considering it.
>
>Mike Lawson
>mflawson@uokmax.uucp

A "cheap, dedicated" TVRO will need practically everything an
"expensive, general pupose" TVRO has, except perhaps a tuning button.
You'll need a dish, LNA, receiver and monitor. Just because you only
want to watch a single channel won't cut down the cost of the thing.
Plus, there is plenty of space stuff on other channels as well, so why
limit  yourself to NASA Select?

All of the Ariane launches are covered live on Spacenet, and there
are rumors that an All Space cable channel is in the works. Not to
mention access to PBS broadcasts that arn't distributed in your area.

The NASA signal is pretty strong, so you might be able to get away with
a small (6' to 8') dish.

I've been watching Select since STS-2, and feel it was worth every cent
of my system.

mike
          *** mike (cerbral GURU, insert M&Ms to restart) smithwick***
"The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them!"

[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

thomas@mvac.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (03/22/89)

> From: werme@Alliant.COM (Ric Werme)
> I just turned down the volume and dialed 900-909-NASA for Dial-A-Shuttle,
> a service of the National Space Society (202-543-1995).  I forget how much
> it costs, but it beats listening to TV morons.
     I saw that number in a newspaper article and called it as well.  Really
     something to listen to.  According to the article (and verified by
     my phone bill), the cost was $0.50 for the first minute and $0.35 for
     additional minutes.  I remember that because I figured out that it would
     be cheaper to call a long distance number from where I was to Texas
     cheaper than to call 900 series number.

                         - tom
(Nope, Reply will *not* work.  Choose one from below to use for replying to
uucp:     ...!udel!mvac!thomas          ! "..so when the machine truncates
Internet: mvac!thomas@udel.edu          !  excess bits, it throws them under
          or                            !  the raised floor." -- Fred Felber
          thomas%mvac.uucp@udel.edu     !  (so THAT's why there are raised
                                        !   floors in computer rooms...)