[sci.space.shuttle] Letter to NASA

jall@freja.diku.dk (Mogens Jallberg) (03/17/89)

I do not know how I shall post this letter to be sure it gets to the right
person, so I hope that either the right person subscribe to
sci.space.shuttle or that some kind person who does knows where to write to
will forward it to the right person.

My problem is as follows: When Discovery was launched this time, I wanted to
use the dial-a-shuttle facility provided from NASA. Unfortunately the
phone number I obtained through an article in this newsgroup (NSS Hotline
Update) a few days ago, was unable to be dialed from overseas. The number
was 1 900 909 NASA. The operator (in Denmark) told me that it was possible
to fix a line, but it would be outrageously expensive.

My request is: The next time NASA decides to provide a dial-a-shuttle
number, please let it be a number which is callable from overseas
(especially Denmark).

I thank all helping hands in advance.

Mogens Jallberg.

phil@hypatia.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (03/28/89)

In article <4542@freja.diku.dk> jall@freja.diku.dk (Mogens Jallberg) writes:
>My problem is as follows: When Discovery was launched this time, I wanted to
>use the dial-a-shuttle facility provided from NASA. Unfortunately the
>phone number I obtained through an article in this newsgroup (NSS Hotline
>Update) a few days ago, was unable to be dialed from overseas. The number
>was 1 900 909 NASA. The operator (in Denmark) told me that it was possible
>to fix a line, but it would be outrageously expensive.

The 900 area code exchange is a very special beast.  Any "1-900" number in
the U.S. has an extra per minute charge associated with it.  This charge
is not the usual long distance charge, it is a charge fixed by the company
establishing the number (not necessarily the phone company) and a portion
of the charge goes back to that company.  By contrast, the charges for a
normal long distance number all go the phone companies.  This special set
up may be why you can't call it from overseas.  Is it not also true that
"1-800" numbers (which are toll-free to the caller) cannot be called from
overseas?  This would probably be the same kind of thing.  And there's
probably nothing that can be done about it---they probably cannot (or will
not) afford to set up a "standard" phone line to provide this service.

			William LeFebvre
			Sun-Spots moderator
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University