[sci.space.shuttle] Dynasoar

jim@foobar.hf.intel.com (Jim Garver) (03/17/89)

In article <94193@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> macs@sun.UUCP (Manuel Cisneros) writes:

>but as for the nature of the beast, I think that the Shuttle is considered
>more of a lifting body than a delta wing aircraft, which the Blackbird is.
>Shuttle= TAKE OFF on top of a rocket, go really high, orbit the earth a few
>times, glide back (with no chance for a go-around), land on a runway) that
>it is very likely that the two don't share a whole lot of technology.

Okay, what was the nature and mission of the DYNASOAR?  I believe this was
the next step after the X-15.  The whole airforce program to fly into
space was cancelled and the focus shifted entirely on rockets, if I remember
correctly.  Was Kennedy responsible for this policy change?  Where would
we be now if the airforce program had continued?  Probably already flying
hypersonic airliners maybe.

--
Jim Garver                     <tektronix!psu-cs | uunet!littlei>!foobar!jim
 WA7LDV & N3170N                             jim@foobar<.hf.intel.com|.uucp>

In article <274@foobar.hf.intel.com> jim@foobar.UUCP (Jim Garver) writes:
>Okay, what was the nature and mission of the DYNASOAR? ...

Nature?  Small spaceplane launched on an expendable booster.  Mission?
Well, that's a good question.  A very good question.  And that has more
than a little to do with its cancellation -- the USAF simply couldn't
come up with a convincing use for it.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ahiggins@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Andrew Higgins) (03/20/89)

From: jim@foobar.hf.intel.com (Jim Garver)

> Okay, what was the nature and mission of the DYNASOAR?  I believe this was
> the next step after the X-15.  The whole airforce program to fly into
> space was cancelled and the focus shifted entirely on rockets, if I remember
> correctly.  Was Kennedy responsible for this policy change?  Where would
> we be now if the airforce program had continued?  Probably already flying
> hypersonic airliners maybe.

Interesting that you should ask now, because we just passed (on December
10) the 25th anniversary of Dyna Soar's cancellation.  I believe that Robert
McNamara (Sec. of Defense) had much of the responsibility for cancellation.
The funds earmarked for Dyna Soar were redirected to the Air Force's Manned
Orbiting Lab (MOL) which was seen to complement the Gemini program, rather
than compete with it.  Needless to say, the MOL was was a doomed project as
well.
--
Andrew J. Higgins	             | Illini Space Development Society
404 1/2 E. White St apt 3            | a chapter of the National Space Society

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (03/21/89)

In article <274@foobar.hf.intel.com>, jim@foobar.hf.intel.com (Jim Garver) writes:
> Okay, what was the nature and mission of the DYNASOAR?  I believe this was
> the next step after the X-15.  The whole airforce program to fly into
> space was cancelled and the focus shifted entirely on rockets, if I remember
> correctly.  Was Kennedy responsible for this policy change?

I think Eisenhower is to be credited (?) with ruling that the American
manned space program *must* be run by a civilian agency.

In article <94977@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
> In article <274@foobar.hf.intel.com>, jim@foobar.hf.intel.com (Jim Garver) writes:
> > Okay, what was the nature and mission of the DYNASOAR?  I believe this was
> > the next step after the X-15.  The whole airforce program to fly into
> > space was cancelled and the focus shifted entirely on rockets, if I remember
> > correctly.  Was Kennedy responsible for this policy change?
>
> I think Eisenhower is to be credited (?) with ruling that the American
> manned space program *must* be run by a civilian agency.

Wrong-o.  DynaSoar and MOL were both alive years after Eisenhower
retired.  Try LBJ.

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (03/22/89)

In article <94977@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
> I think Eisenhower is to be credited (?) with ruling that the American
> manned space program *must* be run by a civilian agency.

There's a wonderful book, ``The Political History of the Space Program'',
that I'd recommend to all readers of this book.  It is quite true that
Eisenhower *tried* to keep the space program civilian, but failed in
the face of the public reaction to Sputnik.  The story is quite fascinating.

First, in the 1950s there were two separate efforts in this country to
launch a satellite, the Army's Explorer program, using a converted Redstone
missle, and the Navy's Vanguard, which was designed from scratch as
a satellite launcher.  Despite pressure from the military -- which knew
around 1950 or 1951 how valuable spy satellites could be (there was a
Rand Corporation study) -- to move forward, Eisenhower favored Vanguard.
His reasons weren't entirely altruistic, of course.  First, it was
assumed that the USSR would claim that an American satellite was violating
Soviet air space (and they did indeed make that claim a few years later).
If the first American satellite was purely scientific, and under the
auspices of the International Geophysical Year, it would be much easier
to defend.  And that, of course, would set a precedent.  For that matter,
if the Soviets launched first, that would be an even better precedent.
It's easy for the U.S. to launch a satellite that doesn't pass over the
Soviet Union; the converse is much harder.  Thus, certain people in
the administration didn't even care much if the Soviets ``won'' the
race to orbit.  Finally, the book claims that Eisenhower was concerned
with the centralization of technology and innovation that would be
concommitant with a militarized space program.  To my way of thinking,
that claim is not as well supported by the evidence, but it's still
worth thinking about.

Anyway, the Soviets did launch first, and the U.S. public panicked.  This
was made even worse when the first Vanguard blew up on the pad.  Ike
gave the go-ahead to von Braun and the rest of the Army team; they launched
their converted missle successfully before Vanguard got off the ground.

Another tidbit from the book:  a primary purpose of the civilian space
program was military technology development.  More precisely, the Powers
that Be in the Pentagon realized that if there was another war, it would
not be possible to develop a state-of-the-art aerospace industry from
scratch.  Engineers (and for that matter factories and manufacturing
techniques) take years to train; there would be no time to build up the
necessary cadre in time to make a difference in the next war.  Thus,
they felt, the government had to maintain the industry just to keep the
design capacity available.  The civilian aircraft industry was fine, but
there were many aspects they weren't interested in.  And a large-enough
defense aircraft procurement policy was politically unsupportable.  The
space program, though, would push the state of the art, and could masquerade
as pure science.  And of course, the military did have their own uses
for orbiting satellites anyway.

		--Steve Bellovin

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (03/25/89)

Several people have written me asking for a precise citation to the
book I mentioned earlier.  It's ``The Heavens and the Earth:  A
Political History of the Space Age'', by Walter McDougall, Basic Books,
1985.  I believe it won a Pulitzer Prize.

steve@eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) (03/28/89)

In article <11347@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:

>Anyway, the Soviets did launch first, and the U.S. public panicked.  ...

>Another tidbit from the book:  a primary purpose of the civilian space
>program was military technology development.  ...
> ... And of course, the military did have their own uses
>for orbiting satellites anyway.

   The public had good reason to panic.  By 1957 large boosters had existed
for some time, and even larger boosters were in the offing.  What the
soviets accomplished was not just a neat trick and technological first
of putting a satellite into orbit -- they had demonstrated that they
had solved the guidance problem of putting a hunk of metal into a
desired orbit.  This meant that they could also put a nuclear warhead
up, and probably drop it down onto our heads.  For the first time, the
continental US was under direct threat of nuclear attack.  Indeed, this
was something to panic about.

   We have had a space research program that has largely been civilian,
but military objectives and goals have been there since the beginning.
--

						   Steve
					(the certified flying fanatic)