				Serge Wallagh
From: wallagh@tjalk.cs.vu.nl (Wallagh Serge R)

In article <2099@botter.cs.vu.nl> wallagh@cs.vu.nl () writes:
>Until now, I've been told , only during 30% of the flighttime communication
>with the ground was possible...
>
>Question: Why was it only 30% until now. I guess that when the shuttle flies
>over Rusia, there might be a gap in communication, but only 30%???
>Wheren't there any satelites upthere already, who could do the job?

For data relay as well as voice, it's not an entirely trivial job.  In the
beginning, launching a complete set of relay satellites for itself was to
be one of the shuttle's first jobs.  In practice, an upper-stage failure
on the first such launch delayed further ones until the problem could be
straightened out.  The second relay satellite was Challenger's payload.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

fireman@tippy.uucp (03/22/89)

  By the way, 30% was too low.  The new satellite won't change coverage,
it has been at about 80% since the last mission when they deployed a TDRS.
The only place where there is no coverage is around the Indian Ocean area,
where they lose the signal for about 10 minutes.  The satellite just
deployed will replace one of the current TDRSs, and that satellite will be
moved and become an on-orbit spare.

       Rob Dale - tippy!fireman@newton.physics.purdue.edu

johnson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (03/22/89)

In article <1989Mar20.191412.23335@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In the
>beginning, launching a complete set of relay satellites for itself was to
>be one of the shuttle's first jobs.

If my memory is right, there were originally to be 3 TDRS in orbit.  Six were
build and 2 each (one was a spare) were given to the French and another country
(my memory fails me here) as well as 1 to be launched on the shuttle.  The
French dropped their 2 plus one borrowed from the US on the ocean floor.  Or
was this another satellite I'm thinking of?

--
Wayne Johnson                 (Voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.             (E-MAIL) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) (03/22/89)

From article <1194@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM>, by johnson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson):
> If my memory is right, there were originally to be 3 TDRS in orbit.  Six were
> build and 2 each (one was a spare) were given to the French and another country
> (my memory fails me here) as well as 1 to be launched on the shuttle.  The
> French dropped their 2 plus one borrowed from the US on the ocean floor.  Or
> was this another satellite I'm thinking of?

No, it is another satellite you're thinking of.  The only TDRS on the
ocean floor is the one we dropped there with Challenger.  TDRS is an
entirely U.S.  project.  You may be confused with GTE's Spacenet
satellite or one of INTELSAT's satellites, both much smaller US built
commercial comsats which were delivered by Ariane to the Atlantic Ocean.
Possibly you are also thinking of the Global Atmospheric Research
Program which had an international set of weather satellites in
geostationary orbit.  Two were American, one European and one Japanese.
(the Europeans built their own, we didnt have to 'give them' any.  The
Japanese bought two from us but the replacements they use today are
mostly home built).

At the moment for reasons which totally escape me, there are to be only
two operational TDRS in orbit plus a spare, rather than three operational
ones which would give full coverage. TDRS-E and F are on the manifest to
go up in a few years as backups.

Jonathan McDowell

In article <1194@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> johnson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) writes:
>If my memory is right, there were originally to be 3 TDRS in orbit.  Six were
>build and 2 each (one was a spare) were given to the French and another country
>(my memory fails me here) as well as 1 to be launched on the shuttle.  The
>French dropped their 2 plus one borrowed from the US on the ocean floor.  Or
>was this another satellite I'm thinking of?

I think you're confusing TDRS with something else.  The US has never given
any of them away, and the Europeans have no booster that could launch one.
The only TDRS on the ocean floor is the one that was aboard Challenger.
The other three that have been built are all in orbit (although the first,
launched by an early shuttle flight, is not in good shape), and at least
one more is planned.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tca@ut-emx.UUCP (Tobin C. Anthony) (03/29/89)

The reason that there are only two operational TDRS satellites is for sheer
economic reasons.  NASA only wants to have one TDRS ground station and they
want to keep it at White Sands.  Both TDRS spacecraft can see White Sands
from their positions.  Having a third TDRS would require an additional
ground station on the opposite side of the Earth from White Sands.  The
logistical implications of maintaining this site and have it communicate
with WS must have been cost-prohibitive.  The TDRS system covers 85% of
satellite orbits anyway.

Tobin C. Anthony
tca@gunaco.ae.utexas.edu

sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Stuart Warmink) (03/30/89)

In article <11563@ut-emx.UUCP>, tca@ut-emx.UUCP (Tobin C. Anthony) writes:
> [..............] NASA only wants to have one TDRS ground station and they
> want to keep it at White Sands.  Both TDRS spacecraft can see White Sands
> from their positions.  Having a third TDRS would require an additional
> ground station on the opposite side of the Earth from White Sands. [...]

In theory, the 3rd TDRS could communicate with White Sands via one of the
other two TDRSs. In practice, as Tobin said, 85% coverage is good enough,
especially considering the extra cost of launching and maintaining an
additional TDRS.

By the way, does anyone know if TDRS-D has reached its operational position
yet, or is it still being checked-out?
"PENTAGON OFFICIALS ARE CONCERNED ABOUT  |  Stuart Warmink, Whippany, NJ, USA
AN ANTIMATTER SHORTAGE"  ("WHAT'S NEW")  | sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (att!cbnewsl!sw)
-----------> My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer <-----------

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (03/30/89)

In article <354@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Stuart Warmink) writes:
>In theory, the 3rd TDRS could communicate with White Sands via one of the
>other two TDRSs. In practice, as Tobin said, 85% coverage is good enough,

Besides....with 100% coverage, the flight controllers would *never*
be able to take a bathroom break  :-)

(They normally take their breaks during Loss Of Signal times).

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>