[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle C

seldon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Walker and Hal Jr.) (03/30/89)

   I was just wondering...The cargo canister is supposed to be expendible but
what about the three good shuttle engines that are in it's tail?
How are those recovered?

 Joe Walker
 U.S. Mail:                       E-Mail:
   Dartmouth College                BITNET:LoneGhost@D1.dartcms1.bitnet
   H.B. 219, Hanover N.H. 03755     UNIX:Seldon@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU
               !{harvard,linus,inhp4}!dartvax!eleazar!seldon

In article <12810@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> seldon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu writes:
>   I was just wondering...The cargo canister is supposed to be expendible but
>what about the three good shuttle engines that are in it's tail?
>How are those recovered?

They're not.  By current plans, they will be engines that have already
flown their rated life (about 10 missions) on the shuttle, and hence
are ready for the boneyard anyway.

Earlier shuttle-based-heavylift schemes put the engines and electronics
in a pod with a heat shield and parachutes.  It could be done, but it
would add complexity and development cost, and it is not as attractive
today as it was when the engines were expected to last 50 missions.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu