[sci.space.shuttle] New Shuttle Name

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt) (04/12/88)

My wife gave me a very appropriate name last night, and I said
I would post it:

CHALLENGER VII

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (04/13/88)

From article <222@aplcomm.UUCP>, by jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt):

> My wife gave me a very appropriate name last night, and I said
> I would post it:
>
> CHALLENGER VII

NASA has retired the name "Challenger".

-dg-

--

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu    or:   dave@clutx.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet            uucp: {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt) (04/13/88)

In article <721@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) writes:
>From article <222@aplcomm.UUCP>, by jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt):
>> My wife gave me a very appropriate name last night, and I said
>> I would post it:
>> CHALLENGER VII
>NASA has retired the name "Challenger".

I know.  But the reason they retired it, to honor the deceased, is
exactly the reason that I believe this should be used.

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5

jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu (Jay C. Smith) (04/13/88)

The obvious choice is "America."

The name has a nice sound to it, and as a replacement "Challenger" --> "America"
works well, too.  Remember Apollo XVII?

If "Columbia" ever needs replacement, that shuttle should be named "Eagle,"
right?

And then there's "Constitution," which was the name originally intended
for "Enterprise."  It could make a comeback.

I remember when "Star Wars" (the movie, not SDI) fans were trying to get
one of the shuttles named "Millenium Falcon."

Jay C. Smith                  uucp:     ...!mcnc!ncsuvx!ncspm!jay
Domain:	jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu    internet: jay%ncspm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

cjl@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles Lord) (04/14/88)

In article <826@ncspm.ncsu.edu>, jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu (Jay C. Smith) writes:
> And then there's "Constitution," which was the name originally intended
> for "Enterprise."  It could make a comeback.

I still feel ST fans got short-changed when they named a non-
orbital shuttle "Enterprise".  I say name the glider
"Constitution" and name the new shuttle "Enterprise"!!!

Charles Lord
cjl@ecsvax.UUCP
cjl@ecsvax.BITNET

fireman@tippy.uucp (03/21/89)

Repinted from USA Today, Tuesday, March 21, 1989.

SCHOOLS COMPETE TO NAME SPACE SHUTTLE

  NASA has announced state winners in its "Name the Shuttle" contest to
christen the replacement for Challeneger.  Most popular: Endeavour (or
Endeavor) and Resolution.  Nationwide, 6,100 teams - 71,650 students -
entered in grades K-12.  The names had to be those of exploration ships and
accompanied by a classroom project reflecting the choice.  NASA chooses a
final winner the first week of May.

AL - Eagle, Victoria
AK - Resolution, Resolution
AZ - Endeavour, Victoria
AR - Calypso, Endeavour
CA - Adventure, Phoenix
CO - Endeavour, Endeavour
CT - Endeavour, Nautilus
DE - Phoenix, Nautilus
DC - Victoria
FL - Endeavour, Victory
GA - Phoenix, Endeavor
HI - Resolution, Nautilus
ID - Endeavor, Horizon
IL - Endeavor, Endeavour
IN - Endeavor, Desire
IA - Endeavour, Endeavor
KS - Victoria, Endeavor
KY - Victoria, Resolution
LA - Victoria, Endeavor
ME - Endeavor, Griffin
MD - Dove, Endeavor
MA - Endeavor, Victory
MI - Victoria, Horizon
MN - Endeavour, Calypso
MS - Endeavour, Endeavour
MO - Adventure, Resolution
MT - Adventure, Resolution
NE - Resolution, Phoenix
NV - Investigator, Resolution
NH - Calypso, Polar Star
NJ - Nautilus, Calypso
NM - Victory, Endeavour, Victory
NY - Endeavor, Resolution
NC - North Star, Calypso
ND - Endeavour, Victoria
OH - Resolution, Victoria
OK - Endeavor, Rising Star
OR - Pathfinder, Victory
PA - Blake, Endeavour
RI - Horizon, Nautilus
SC - Endeavor, Endeavour
SD - Endeavor, Calypso
TN - Phoenix, Godspeed
TX - Endurance, Endeavor
UT - Victoria, Nautilus
VT - Trieste
VA - Godspeed, Adventure
WA - Deepstar, H.M.S. Chatham
WV - Godspeed, Deepstar
WI - Calypso, Adventure
WY - Resolution, Nautilus

joe@hanauma.stanford.edu (Joe Dellinger) (03/22/89)

Well, since we've got
Atlantis, Columbia, Discovery, Enterprise, there is only ONE possible
choice from the list!

In article <11000010@tippy> fireman@tippy.uucp writes:
>PA - Blake, Endeavour
      ^^^^^

AND it reminds us of Blake's 7, too, and how their ship(s) ended.
\    /\    /\    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\.-.-.-.-.......___________
 \  /  \  /  \  /Dept of Geophysics, Stanford University \/\/\.-.-....___
  \/    \/    \/Joe Dellinger joe@hanauma.stanford.edu  apple!hanauma!joe\/\.-._

cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (03/24/89)

It doesn't fit the criteria setup by NASA (name of a past or present ship of
exploration) but I feel it would be appropriate and meaningful to name the
new shuttle after Gus Grissom.  Or would that be morbid?  We name aircraft
carriers after dead heros.

Craig
ARPA: 	cew@venera.isi.edu
PHONE:	(213)822-1511 ext. 111
USPS:	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 1100
	Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (03/24/89)

In article <11000010@tippy>, fireman@tippy.uucp writes:

> Repinted from USA Today, Tuesday, March 21, 1989.
> PA - Blake, Endeavour

Blake?  Could someone mail me information about a research vessel named Blake?
I can only think of the british SF series.  Thanks.

david rickel
decwrl!sci!daver

sandra%defun.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Sandra J Loosemore) (03/25/89)

Hmmm, I guess Cook must be a popular subject among school kids.  I
found it a little surprising that the names on the list were primarily
those of *British* ships.  I suspect that, if the contest had been
held three years from now, the most popular nominations would have
been Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria!  On the other hand, I suppose there
would be an uproar if they named the shuttle something like Mirnyi or
Kainan Maru.

Two other striking omissions from the list: Beagle (made famous by
Darwin) and Fram (sailed by Nansen and Sverdrup in the Arctic and
Amundsen in the Antarctic).

-Sandra Loosemore (sandra@cs.utah.edu)

bob@etive.ed.ac.uk (Bob Gray) (03/27/89)

In article <40467@sci.UUCP> daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) writes:
>Blake?  Could someone mail me information about a research vessel named Blake?
>I can only think of the british SF series.  Thanks.

I cannot believe that they actually put this suggestion on
the list of possible shuttle names.

There is space for a crew of seven on a shuttle, isn't there?

The media will have a field day. :->
	Bob.

ncc1701@pawl.rpi.edu (Mark O. Chadwick) (03/28/89)

Interesting list of names.  Personally, in partial deference to the crew of
the Challenger, I would personally like to see Phoenix as the name of the
new shuttle.  Not to be irreverent or anything, but sometimes it helps to be
reminded of those who gave their lives for such a big cause.

-Mark

ncc1701@pawl.rpi.edu       | Live long and prosper, Spock
USERGDES@rpitsmts.bitnet   | I shall do neither.  I have killed my
 (Mark Chadwick)           |    captain...and my friend

jmsc@inesc.UUCP (Miguel Casteleiro) (03/28/89)

In article <998@rpi.edu>, ncc1701@pawl.rpi.edu (Mark O. Chadwick) writes:
> Interesting list of names.  Personally, in partial deference to the crew of
> the Challenger, I would personally like to see Phoenix as the name of the
> new shuttle.  Not to be irreverent or anything, but sometimes it helps to be
> reminded of those who gave their lives for such a big cause.

   How about ChallengerII, with that name the first Challenger and their
crew would be reminded forever.

--
                                                                      __
 Miguel Casteleiro at                                            __  ///

mears@hpindda.HP.COM (David B. Mears) (03/30/89)

I took all the names listed as state winnners, sorted them, and counted
the number of occurances of each and they are listed below sorted in
reverse order by count.  You'll notice that if you count the two
spellings of `endeavor' as a single name, then it comes out far ahead of
the others.  If NASA's final choice is at all based on these numbers,
then it's not hard to guess what our next shuttle will be called.

BTW, it would sure be nice if someone were able to post status reports
on the building of the new shuttle like the one's Peter Yee has been
posting for the existing shuttles.  Anyone know if such a thing is
available anywhere?

David B. Mears
Hewlett-Packard
Cupertino CA
hplabs!hpda!mears
--------------
  15 Endeavour
  15 Endeavor
  11 Resolution
  10 Victoria
   7 Nautilus
   7 Calypso
   5 Victory
   5 Phoenix
   5 Adventure
   3 Horizon
   3 Godspeed
   2 Deepstar
   1 Trieste
   1 Rising Star
   1 Polar Star
   1 Pathfinder
   1 North Star
   1 Investigator
   1 Griffin
   1 Endurance
   1 Eagle
   1 Dove
   1 Desire
   1 Chatham
   1 Blake

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (03/30/89)

There still seems to be a lot of confusion and indecision as to what the
new shuttle should be called.
I still maintain that we should use the time-honoured method, and adopt
the name "FOO". Alternatives: BAZ, BAR. "FOOBAR" would probably be in
rather poor taste.

;-) :-) 8-) %\v   etc

Andy

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, UK
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

tneff@well.UUCP (Tom Neff) (04/05/89)

I'm still disappointed no one nominated my favorite name for the
new Shuttle - THRESHER.  ;-)

Thank heavens PHOENIX was a minor also ran.  Some people don't seem to
get it - the Phoenix was doomed to die in flames *again and again
forever*.  Not once then everything's OK.  Again and again forever.
Maybe this is someone's idea of a good fate for the Shuttle but it
ain't mine!

One other note - by rights those totals for ENDEAVOUR and ENDEAVOR
should be merged to 30 and the name adopted by acclamation.  Sticks
nicely to the "early alphabet" series of initials too.
--
Tom Neff                  tneff@well.UUCP
                       or tneff@dasys1.UUCP