[net.unix-wizards] sendmail problem

serge%ucbcory%berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (10/14/83)

From:  Serge Granik <serge%ucbcory@berkeley>

	My machines are having problems with sendmail.  The program
refuses to recognize the at sign (@).  If I try to mail to user@machine
it comes back, saying: "user@machine ... unknown user".  Any idea as
to what is going on, and how to combat this treachery?

							serge@ucbcory

craig@BBN-UNIX.ARPA (08/08/84)

From:  Craig Partridge <craig@BBN-UNIX.ARPA>

	After several months of happy operation sendmail has started
losing messages.  Specifically, the behaviour I am seeing is that
sendmail accepts the message, queues it, and says it has sent it
(according to syslog messages), but the remote host's log never even
indicates that my host ever attempted a connection.  This is now
happening for every outbound message.  Inbound messages are handled
and delivered correctly.  I've tried rebooting, running higher logging
levels -- nothing.  Has anyone every seen this before?  (I'm running
4.2 on a SUN workstation).

	If it of any use, only two changes in my network/mail world
have occurred in recent weeks: -- /usr/lib/aliases was changed (an
alias was removed) and the host (bbn-loki) was recently registered
with the NIC.

Craig Partridge
craig@bbn-unix

gertjan@txsil.UUCP (12/20/84)

After searching numerious hours I decided to show my weakness and to ask
help for my following bug:

in sendmail I get currently the message after every mail to another user:

	Cannot open /dev/console: Bad filenumber

	I am totally confused because this seemed to be caused by
	the functioncall: fopen(e->e_df, "r") in `putbody()'
	my sendmail tries to open /dev/console for reading but why???

	It may be caused by /bin/mail because I have Mlocal to /bin/mail
	in /usr/lib/sendmail.cf

	biff y does not work anymore

This problem occured after shuffeling with the hostname/uucpname.

Anybody familiar with this problem?

				: gertjan vinkesteyn, SIL DALLAS
	..{allegra,ctvax,ihnp4,rice,uiucds,unmvax}!convex!smu!txsil!gertjan

The ``Cannot open /dev/console: Bad file number'' error is usually caused
by accidently deleting the ``localhost'' entry in /etc/hosts.  Sendmail
logs errors to syslog, but it gets to syslog by opening a connection on
``localhost'', and if it can't do that, it complains about the console.

Makes great sense, doesn't it?

I hate sendmail.
--
(This line accidently left nonblank.)

In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

gertjan@txsil.UUCP (12/26/84)

>From: smu!convex!allegra!decvax!mazama!stew (Stewart Levin)
>To: decvax!bellcore!allegra!convex!smu!txsil!gertjan
>Subject: Re: 4.2 biff etc.
>
>We had the same problems about a year ago when we brought up 4.2.  Someone
>else fixed the /dev/console problem ... I think it was the same fix needed
>to bring up biff (putting your localhost alias at the very top of /etc/hosts.)

That pretty much fixed our problem! Thanks

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (12/29/84)

> After searching numerious hours I decided to show my weakness and to ask
> help for my following bug:
>
> 	Cannot open /dev/console: Bad filenumber
>
> 	biff y does not work anymore
>
> This problem occured after shuffeling with the hostname/uucpname.

These both come from not being able to find the address of the local
machine from the hostname file.  If you're not on a network, then
what's being used is the "loopback" net where your address is
127.0.0.0

--
Ed Gould
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed

jnelson@trwrba.UUCP (John T. Nelson) (01/06/85)

	Anybody familiar with this problem?

Are you kidding?  I've been "familiar" with this problem for
several months.

	After searching numerious hours I decided to show my weakness
	and to ask help for my following bug:  in sendmail I get
	currently the message after every mail to another user:

	Cannot open /dev/console: Bad file number

	I am totally confused because this seemed to be caused by
	the functioncall: fopen(e->e_df, "r") in `putbody()'
	my sendmail tries to open /dev/console for reading but why???

There are other instances of "Cannot open" something in sendmail.
Another one is an attempt by sendmail to open the console for
logging delivery (see sendmail/lib/syslog.c).  Berkeley left
the DEBUG switch on and thus the ifdef EBUG caused sendmail to
always try to log the message to the console.

Another problem is that recompiling sendmail seems to rely on
sccs which we don't have so I can't modify sendmail just yet.

	biff y does not work anymore

Our biff failed as well.

	This problem occured after shuffeling with the hostname/uucpname.

Ours occured immediatly after we installed the mail software
distributed by Symbolics to support their Chaosnet system.
Installation of this software also required shuffling of the hostname.

			seismo!hao!hplabs!sdcrdcf!trwrb!trwrba!jnelson
			- John