[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Summary - Part II

slr@skep2.ATT.COM (Shelley.L.Rosenbaum.[ho95c]) (04/03/89)

Wow!  I didn't expect such a positive response.  Here are the
summaries for the 7th through 12th flights.  I'll be getting to the
others in time...

STS-7:  Challenger
Launched 6/18/83 7:33 a.m. EDT KSC
Landed 6/24/83 6:57 a.m. PDT Edwards AFB
Robert Crippen (CDR), Frederick Hauck (PLT), John Fabian (MS1),
Dr. Sally Ride (MS2), Dr. Norman Thagard (MS3)

Largest flight crew launched on single spacecraft; continuing
validation of RMS (deployed and retrieved Shuttle Pallet Satellite,
SPAS-01); Anik C-2 (Telesat Canada) and Palapa B-1 (Indonesia)
deployed; Space Adaptation Syndrome (SAS) experiments carried out.
Planned landing at KSC cancelled due to bad weather there.

STS-8:  Challenger
Launched 8/30/83 2:32 a.m. EDT KSC
Landed 9/5/83 12:41 a.m. PDT Edwards AFB
Richard Truly (CDR), Daniel Brandenstein (PLT), Dale Gardner (MS1),
Guion Bluford (MS2), Dr. William Thornton (MS3)

First night launch and landing of shuttle [ed. note:  I saw
the launch--*spectacular!*]; Insat-1B (India) deployed; RMS
tested with Payload Flight Test Article (elbow, wrist, and
shoulder joints evaluated); biofeedback experiments conducted;
six rats in Animal Enclosure Module observed; Continuous Flow
Electrophoresis experimentation (fourth shuttle flight for this
experiment); Development Flight Instrumentation Pallet; Getaway
Special canisters; testing between TDRS and shuttle using Ku-band
antenna; continued SAS investigations.

STS-9:  Columbia/Spacelab-1
Launched 11/28/83 11:00 a.m. EST KSC
Landed 12/8/83 3:47 p.m. PST Edwards AFB
John Young (CDR), Brewster Shaw (PLT), Owen Garriot (MS1),
Dr. Robert Parker (MS2), Dr. Byron Lichtenberg (PS1),
Dr. Ulf Merbold (ESA; PS2)

First flight of crewmembers working around the clock; first
flight of ESA- and NASA-sponsored Spacelab; researched
areas of atmospheric physics, earth observations, space plasma
physics, solar physics and astronomy, and materials science and
technology; SAS studies continued.

STS-41-B (flight 10):  Challenger
Launched 2/3/84 8:00 a.m. EST KSC
Landed 2/11/84 7:17 a.m. EST KSC
Vance Brand (CDR), Robert "Hoot" Gibson (PLT), Bruce McCandless II (MS1),
Ronald McNair (MS2), Robert Stewart (MS3)

First untethered spacewalks using MMU (McCandless, Stewart);
SPAS-01 first satellite to be refurbished and flown again;
robot arm's Manipulator Foot Restraint used; Westar VI and
Palapa B-2 satellites deployed (but PAM rocket motor failures
left them in low Earth orbits).

STS-41-C (flight 11):  Challenger
Launched 4/6/84 8:58 a.m. EST KSC
Landed 4/13/84 5:38 a.m. PST Edwards AFB
Robert Crippen (CDR), Francis "Dick" Scobee (PLT),
Dr. George "Pinky" Nelson (MS1), Dr. James van Hoften (MS2),
Terry "T.J." Hart (MS3)

First in-orbit capture, repair, and redeployment of free-flying
spacecraft (Solar Max--attitude-control system and coronagraph/
polarimeter electronics box replaced); MMU, Manipulator Foot
Restraint, and EVA power tools used operationally; "direct
insertion technique" used to place orbiter into space; Long
Duration Exposure Facility (LDEF) deployed; IMAX movies filmed.

STS-41-D (flight 12):  Discovery
Launched 8/30/84 8:41 a.m. EDT KSC
Landed 9/5/84 6:37 a.m. PDT Edwards AFB
Henry Hartsfield (CDR), Michael Coats (PLT), Judith Resnick (MS1),
Richard Mullane (MS2), Steven Hawley (MS3), Charles Walker (PS1)

First Discovery flight; Leasat 2, SBS-4, and Telstar 3 deployed;
heaviest payload into orbit (47,500 pounds); first use of lightweight
thermal blanket material on shuttle's exterior; 105-foot-tall solar
array extended from orbiter; Continuous Flow Electrophoresis
experimentation continued; IMAX movies filmed.
--
Shelley L. Rosenbaum, Air Traffic Control Systems, AT&T Bell Laboratories
{allegra, att, arpa}!ho95c!slr     slr@ho95c.att.arpa      (201) 949-3615

"Surrounded by a thin, thin, thin, 16-millimeter shell."

paulf@Jessica.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) (04/04/89)

STS-9:  Hey! You forgot SAREX, the shuttle amateur radio experiment,
in which Owen (W5LFL) communicated with hundreds of hams on the ground!

-=Paul Flaherty, N9FZX      | "Research Scientists need Porsches, too!"
->paulf@shasta.Stanford.EDU |			-- Bloom County

slr@skep2.ATT.COM (Shelley.L.Rosenbaum.[ho95c]) (04/06/89)

In article <1274@Portia.Stanford.EDU> paulf@Jessica.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) writes:
>STS-9:  Hey! You forgot SAREX, the shuttle amateur radio experiment,
>in which Owen (W5LFL) communicated with hundreds of hams on the ground!

Actually, make that the book I got the summaries from forgot SAREX!  I was
wondering which flight that was...and my parents tried to participate in
that, too...