[sci.space.shuttle] SR71 to be retired October 1st, rumors regarding SR-71

ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) (03/10/89)

> My dates may be wrong (so please don't flame me) but I was told once
> that the SR-71 first flew in 1962 and was known to the public until 1968.
> An ex roommate's father who was an Air Force mechanic at the time  said that the
> flight line was always cleared on landing (always at night with no lights)
> and as soon as it stopped a tarp was thrown over it.  So secret that he
> had no idea of what type of plane it was (i.e. boomer or recon).

I'm always amused by the rumors associated with the blackbird over the years,
since I wasn't on the flightline in '62 I can't say if it's true, but since the
plane is over 100' long (107'4" with the OBC nose if memory serves correctly)
it seems strange.  I served as a maintenence person/crew chief on the SR for
6 years and Beale and the FOLs.

Some of the more interesting rumors: 'it has concrete tires because of the
extreme heat.'.  Wrong.  The tires are painted silver (Goodyear silver crown's,
22 ply).  Paint wears off the bottom taxiing for first flight..

Flies underwater because of it's periscope (seriously folks, heard this more
than once).  True, it does have a 'periscope'.  It is a small one, about 4 in.
long that the pilot uses to check alignment of the rudders since he can't
see them.  Also to confirm whether or not the drag chute released on landing
if he is uncertain.  Can't think of what else he'd use it for, perhaps for
problems with refueling receptacle, who knows.

At the FOL in Okinawa, we taxied the plane *underground* to the end of the
runway for security.  The basis for this was that from the main flightline
you couldn't see it taxiing, it just 'appeared' at the end.  The runway
has a big hump in the center.  Also sloped off towards our end. By the way, we
weren't alone down there, there were other aircraft.

We started the engines with the hanger doors closed until we were ready to
go.  YIKES, that would get warm!!!!  WRONG.  The only things we did
'secretively' with the hanger doors closed was uploading or downloading
sensors.  Most of the time was open for our comfort or safety(fueling etc).

There were many other rumors.  Heard any good ones you'd like me to comment
on?  Anyway, I was always confused about some of the security.  Was pretty
easy for Russians to know when we're coming, however I guess if you had
something to 'cover up', the short time that it took us to get there
probably wouldn't give them enough time.  The one secret part of this that
was strictly enforced was *when* we were flying a 'hot' mission.  The map
projectors the pilots used had a seal on their circuit breaker.  It was not
uncommon for us as we were fueling or something to preview the flight.  Was
very interesting.  However NO ONE ever did when it was sealed.

The SR-71 was and is still a fascinating airplane.  I enjoyed learning it
pretty much inside and out (mechanics-wise).  It was ahead of it's time, but
not any longer.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least that there is something
faster and better.

With it's retirement, is kind of a passing of an era.  Sad in a way...

NU052179@NDSUVM1.BITNET (03/14/89)

ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
>There were many other rumors.  Heard any good ones you'd like me to comment
>on?

You'll like this one.  I heard that the skin of the aircraft was designed
to allow for the expansion caused by fricion heating.  Therefor the gap
left between each panel was such that fuel would leak out while the
"Bird" was on the ground.  The plane had to be fueled and gotten into
the air and up to speed to heat the skin and close the leaks!  WOW!
     I would have ignored this one if I hadn't heard it from more than
one "knowledgable" source.  It sounds a bit dangerous ;-)

     NU052179@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric M. Priewe)

-------

       did i say that?

GOOD-BUY

#! rnews           1

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (03/15/89)

In article <1993NU052179@NDSUVM1> NU052179@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
>>There were many other rumors.  Heard any good ones you'd like me to comment
>>on?
>
>You'll like this one.  I heard that the skin of the aircraft was designed
>to allow for the expansion caused by fricion heating.  Therefor the gap
>left between each panel was such that fuel would leak out while the
>"Bird" was on the ground.  The plane had to be fueled and gotten into
>the air and up to speed to heat the skin and close the leaks!  WOW!
>     I would have ignored this one if I hadn't heard it from more than
>one "knowledgable" source.  It sounds a bit dangerous ;-)
>     NU052179@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric M. Priewe)

They plug the gaps in the skin with tar (or expensive equivalent) before
flight so it does not leak.  when the plane heats up it melts and  goes
away (leaving trailing flames???)  It is when the plane lands  that
fuel leaks out.  Every picture I have seen of the plane on the ground
has a puddle under the plane.

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
           also try this new address -> nic.MR.net!srcsip!rogers

robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) (03/15/89)

ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
>There were many other rumors.  Heard any good ones you'd like me to comment
>on?

Yes, check this one out: when the SR-71 has been flying fast its skin
glows red hot.  This one was told to me by someone (I can't remember
who) who insisted this was true.

Another, much more believable, is that the SR-71 does not have fuel
batters in the wings, like the B-1, and leaks when taxing.  Once the
wings are stressed by flight it stops leaking.  Have they fixed the
B-1 in this respect?

	Rob Bedichek  (robertb@cs.washington.edu)

hinojosa@hp-sdd.hp.com (Daniel Hinojosa) (03/15/89)

In article <7593@june.cs.washington.edu> robertb@uw-june.UUCP (Robert Bedichek) writes:
>ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
>>There were many other rumors.  Heard any good ones you'd like me to comment
>>on?
>
>Yes, check this one out: when the SR-71 has been flying fast its skin
>glows red hot.  This one was told to me by someone (I can't remember
>who) who insisted this was true.

I find this whole discussion about the SR-71 totally fascinating. Peter
Yee asked whether this had anything to do with the Space Shuttle. Well
I'd say not directly, however the chaps who fly these pups are the
next closest thing to Astronauts.

On my wall here I have a poster of an SR-71 from Lockheed. It is taken
while the bird is in flight. Looks like the photo was taken from a
fuel tanker, looking out the back (do do do, looking out my back door)
down to the left. I make note of this because you can see part of the
pilot through the left portion of the cockpit.

It is fairly clear. The 'pilot' is wearing a silver looking suit, much
like the Mercury astronauts, and a helmet much the same. Too, looking
at it from this angle, you get a better image of the wing span. Rather
reminds me of the shuttle. I've got to believe like much of the rest of
our progress in the arena of aviation, portions of this design found
their way into the design of the shuttle.
--
=dan=hinojosa=========================================================
email -  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!hinojosa \ / uunet!hplabs!hp-sdd!hinojosa

raveling@vaxb.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (03/15/89)

In article <1993NU052179@NDSUVM1> NU052179@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
>>There were many other rumors.  Heard any good ones you'd like me to comment
>>on?
>

>You'll like this one.  I heard that the skin of the aircraft was designed
>to allow for the expansion caused by fricion heating.  Therefor the gap
>left between each panel was such that fuel would leak out while the
>"Bird" was on the ground.  The plane had to be fueled and gotten into
>the air and up to speed to heat the skin and close the leaks!  WOW!
>     I would have ignored this one if I hadn't heard it from more than
>one "knowledgable" source.  It sounds a bit dangerous ;-)

	1st part's true -- The only SR-71's I've seen on the ground
	had drip pans under them to collect the fuel.

	However, it's not dangerous.  The fuel is JP-7, which has
	such a high flash point that it nearly requires an Act of God
	to ignite it.  The SR-71 ignites it by injecting triethyl
	borane (TEB) into the combustion chambers, both for starting
	engines and for igniting afterburners.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

macs%worke@Sun.COM (Manuel Cisneros) (03/16/89)

In article <1829@hp-sdd.hp.com> hinojosa@hp-sdd.hp.com.UUCP (Daniel Hinojosa) writes:

>It is fairly clear. The 'pilot' is wearing a silver looking suit, much
>like the Mercury astronauts, and a helmet much the same. Too, looking

As I understand it, the pilots wear some kind of pressure suit with
environmental control included.  This is probably due to the extreme
temperatures encountered by the plane (600 F skin temperature?) as well
as the pressure 'way up there'.

>reminds me of the shuttle. I've got to believe like much of the rest of
>our progress in the arena of aviation, portions of this design found
>their way into the design of the shuttle.

There was certainly a lot of accumulated knowledge put into the Shuttle,
but as for the nature of the beast, I think that the Shuttle is considered
more of a lifting body than a delta wing aircraft, which the Blackbird is.
The very nature of the missions the Blackbird and the Shuttle are so
different (SR-71= take off from a runway, go high, fly fast, land on a runway,
Shuttle= TAKE OFF on top of a rocket, go really high, orbit the earth a few
times, glide back (with no chance for a go-around), land on a runway) that
it is very likely that the two don't share a whole lot of technology.

Anyone out there want to agree/disagree?

Manuel.

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (03/16/89)

In article <1993NU052179@NDSUVM1> NU052179@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:

>You'll like this one.  I heard that the skin of the aircraft was designed
>to allow for the expansion caused by fricion heating.  Therefor the gap
>left between each panel was such that fuel would leak out while the
>"Bird" was on the ground.  The plane had to be fueled and gotten into
>the air and up to speed to heat the skin and close the leaks!  WOW!

	You are correct, the skin of the '71 looks like a congrued surface. As
	the skin heats up during flight, it expands and smoothens out. Some of
	the designers had joked that they were attempting to make a Ford
	Tri-Motor do Mach 3. If you take a look at a '71 just after it has
	refuled, you will notice that the upper surfaces are wet, wet with
	fuel. Also when you see it on the ground, the 'wetmess' around the
	craft is also fuel. Danger is low being that the fuel has a real high
	flashpoint, and has to be mixed with another (very corrosive but
	nameless to this individual) substance for use in the engines.

	On another note, the concord also 'stretches' out when in a high speed,
	high altitude flight profile.

	If anyone wants anymore info on the '71 or other beasties, let me know,
	I have quite an extensive library on military aircraft.

	l8r...

--
"We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, knowin' that ain't allowed"__         _______  _______________    |David C. Troup / Surf Rat
    _______)(______   |         |dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu : mail

ethiele@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Thiele) (03/16/89)

When I was attending Zoomie U.  (the USAF Academy) the scuttlebutt was that the
fuel tanks had expansion joints, which would leak on the ground.  So SOP was to
get airborne on 1/4 tank, make a high Mach run to the rendevous with the tanker,
letting the expansion joints heat up, expanding & sealing the tank, and top off.

Also, the titanium skin is stronger than at manufacture, due to the
self-annealing process of attaining high Mach and heating the skin to 1500'F

--
  Eric Thiele
   ihlpf!ewt

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) (03/16/89)

In article <7593@june.cs.washington.edu> robertb@uw-june.UUCP (Robert Bedichek) writes:

>Another, much more believable, is that the SR-71 does not have fuel
>batters in the wings, like the B-1, and leaks when taxing.  Once the
>wings are stressed by flight it stops leaking.  Have they fixed the
>B-1 in this respect?
>
>	Rob Bedichek  (robertb@cs.washington.edu)

	The '71 had to have a special fuel (mentioned in my other message)
	because they used the very walls of the internal wing structure to keep
	the fuel. Thus the need for a HIGH flashpoint.

	And whats the problem with the B-1?

	BTW, does anyone have a poster of the '71 @ the Paris Airshow when they
	had a fuel surge in the engine that they were using during an
	'engine-out'(wing low, full opposite rudder) and the flame from the
	exhaust was about 40ft! Real impressive with the vortices and such...

--

bobs@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Bob Smart) (03/16/89)

In article <976@nbife.NBI.COM>, ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:

> There were many other rumors.  Heard any good ones you'd like me to comment
> on?

As an ex F-15 Eagle Keeper I have a  rumor for you. I was told by an
SR-71 pilot that unless they crossed an ocean it was considered a local
flight? We were both at Andrews AFB for an airshow at the time. Was he BSing
or is it true I always wondered. by the way what was your afsc? I was
a 32672 (comm/nav/ecm)

Bob Smart (bobs@verdix.com)

nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby) (03/16/89)

	If the SR71 talk gets to be a problem, I vote we move it to
    sci.military [moderated].  This rather than sqelch it.

In article <94193@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> macs@sun.UUCP (Manuel Cisneros) writes:
>In article <1829@hp-sdd.hp.com> hinojosa@hp-sdd.hp.com.UUCP (Daniel Hinojosa) writes:
>>
>>It is fairly clear. The 'pilot' is wearing a silver looking suit, much
>>like the Mercury astronauts, and a helmet much the same. Too, looking
>
>As I understand it, the pilots wear some kind of pressure suit with
>environmental control included.  This is probably due to the extreme
>temperatures encountered by the plane (600 F skin temperature?) as well
>as the pressure 'way up there'.

	Indeed this is so.  They lost the climate control on a Blackbird a
    number of years ago.  The pilot called a mayday and asked for the
    nearest place to put the beast.  They put it in to Biloxi, I think.
    When the fire crew popped the beast open, the cabin temp was a balmy
    180F, and the pilot was most uncomfortable.  I'm sure that he was saved
    by his suit.
	They let all the USAF airmen look at the beast, but they had a
    cordon around the plane and curtains covering the sensor/camera area.
    The fellow with the grim look and the loaded M16 made sure nobody got
    too curious.

    Neil Kirby
    ...cbsck!nak

h16@homxc.ATT.COM (D.JACOBOWITZ) (03/16/89)

In article <9667@ihlpl.ATT.COM>, ethiele@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Thiele) writes:
> When I was attending Zoomie U.  (the USAF Academy) the scuttlebutt was
> that the fuel tanks had expansion joints, which would leak on the
> ground.  So SOP was to get airborne on 1/4 tank, make a high Mach
> run to the rendevous with the tanker, letting the expansion joints
> heat up, expanding & sealing the tank, and top off.

I think the reason for taking off light on fuel (50-60% capacity,
I thought), was to increase the safety margin in case of engine
failure during takeoff.
Dave J.
ark2!dlj
usual disclaimer implied

sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Stuart Warmink) (03/17/89)

In article <320@carroll1.UUCP> dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) writes:
>	You are correct, the skin of the '71 looks like a congrued surface. As
>	the skin heats up during flight, it expands and smoothens out. [...]

As the wing-span itself won't change much (it is mostly the skin which gets hot),
the corrugations will actually get bigger as the skin expands!
Perhaps another reason they exist is to increase the surface area available for
radiating the heat away...but then again, more heat will be generated in the first
place...

Something else to ponder about - the SR71 is very dark coloured, and Concord is
white for the same reason: to stay cool, so to speak!
"PENTAGON OFFICIALS ARE CONCERNED ABOUT  |  Stuart Warmink, Whippany, NJ, USA
AN ANTIMATTER SHORTAGE"  ("WHAT'S NEW")  | sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (att!cbnewsl!sw)
-----------> My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer <-----------

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (03/17/89)

In article <94193@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> macs@sun.UUCP (Manuel Cisneros) writes:
>As I understand it, the pilots wear some kind of pressure suit with
>environmental control included.  This is probably due to the extreme
>temperatures encountered by the plane (600 F skin temperature?) as well
>as the pressure 'way up there'.
>
>There was certainly a lot of accumulated knowledge put into the Shuttle,
>but as for the nature of the beast, I think that the Shuttle is considered
>more of a lifting body than a delta wing aircraft, which the Blackbird is.

They are different, but when I went to Beale AFB last year and saw all
of the pre-flight preparations for a "launch" as they call it, flying an
SR-71 becomes more like the Shuttle than you would imagine.  The pilots
are treated just like astronauts.  Pretty neat stuff.

I got to poke around an SR-71 while there, and it was leaking fuel as
people have mentioned.  On the undersurfaces of the delta wing the wing
is made of both titanium and some sort of plastic-synthetic material.
This material is most-likely a stealth material.

As we talked with the pilots we found out that they heat their food by
simply pressing it to the side of the plane inside the cockpit, which
nicely cooks their food, i.e., the skin of the SR is HOT!  By
comparison, a special food warmer is provided in the U-2/TR-1 because
their skin temperatures are normal by comparison.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

In article <4892@cbnews.ATT.COM> nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby) writes:
>	Indeed this is so.  They lost the climate control on a Blackbird a
>    number of years ago.  The pilot called a mayday and asked for the
>    nearest place to put the beast.  They put it in to Biloxi, I think.
>    When the fire crew popped the beast open, the cabin temp was a balmy
>    180F, and the pilot was most uncomfortable.  I'm sure that he was saved
>    by his suit.

Incidentally, each pilot has two suits (so one can be at the cleaners
while using the other), and one helmet.  A full suit and helmet cost
approximately $45,000.  They are ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL to those suits
used by astronauts.  In fact, Shuttle people visit Beale AFB in order to
be fitted for their suits.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

In article <5983@homxc.ATT.COM> h16@homxc.ATT.COM (D.JACOBOWITZ) writes:
>I think the reason for taking off light on fuel (50-60% capacity,
>I thought), was to increase the safety margin in case of engine
>failure during takeoff.

Talking about engine failure, if this happens during a high-Mach run, the
resulting asymmetrical drag yaws the aircraft around so fast that the crew's
heads (or rather, their helmets!) are banged against the cockpit's windows.
[The engines can flame out at supersonic speeds if the inlet shock-cones are
not set to the correct position for that particular speed...]

(I read about the above many years ago in some aviation magazine.)
"PENTAGON OFFICIALS ARE CONCERNED ABOUT  |  Stuart Warmink, Whippany, NJ, USA
AN ANTIMATTER SHORTAGE"  ("WHAT'S NEW")  | sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (att!cbnewsl!sw)
-----------> My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer <-----------

roberts@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Timothy Roberts) (03/17/89)

Gentlemen,
	I am not a hater of Soviets nor Communist Chinese but I do Believe in
discipline and state secrets.  While in the Marine Corps, I was based on a
military station with plenty of "secrets" as my everyday surroundings.  I am
now a student of astrophysics and a little disgusted by SDI research.  However,
I do Not and will never reveal information to public access that (while hurting
SDI) would reveal secrets or just little known facts that any fool could tell
were damaging to U.S. Security.
	Think twice if you were ground crew or involved with the SR-71 program
before you set us straight about our whimsicle rumors.  This aircraft is for
recon purposes and thus a military man with constant exposure to it might forget
that what he knows, he knows because at one time someone thought he wasn't a
risk.  Don't throw away your secret status by foolishly blabbing on the network.
	Now, I am not directing this at any indiviual that has already posted
something, I think, but don't prove me wrong.  Practice thought before speech.

					Please write me for more,
					Timothy P. P. Roberts
					roberts@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

P.S. Go ahead and say something and I bet you a trip to Kennedy Space Center
that someone wearing sunglasses andd rubber soled shoes comes to ask you "A
few quick questions!"

hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) (03/17/89)

In article <1596@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> roberts@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Timothy P. P. Roberts) writes:
>Gentlemen,
>	I am not a hater of Soviets nor Communist Chinese but I do Believe in
>discipline and state secrets...
>   ...Think twice if you were ground crew or involved with the SR-71 program
>before you set us straight about our whimsicle rumors.  This aircraft is for
>recon and thus a military man with constant exposure to it might forget
>that what he knows, he knows because at one time someone thought he wasn't a
>risk. Don't throw away your secret status by foolishly blabbing on the network.
>	Now, I am not directing this at any indiviual that has already posted
>something, I think, but don't prove me wrong.  Practice thought before speech.

Apart from the various errors, I haven't seen any data here that
didn't appear in AW&ST *many* years ago.  (I'm sure that Henry Spencer
could give us the exact volume and number.) Your dictum has certainly
been followed.  Military secrets should remain secrets.  Military
common knowledge is another matter, though, and Aviation Week has
scooped all posters to date---except, perhaps, for the most interesting
and imaginative ones.

    Did you know that radiative cooling is insufficient at the SR-71's
    top speed of Mach 7?  It must be supplemented by evaporative
    cooling.  JP-7 is released along the leading edges of the wings,
    and boils off as it streams back.  This, of course, drastically
    reduces the Blackbird's flat-out range, and the recon bird must be
    accompanied by a SK-71 tanker for supersonic refuelling.  When the
    B-2 was rolled out, its leading edge was covered.  That was to
    conceal an advanced version of the same principle, which uses a
    mixture of JP-4 and LOX for added cooling.

Take it from me---I maintain all the Department's SR-71s, and CSIS has
never refused me a security clearance...
--
John Hogg			hogg@csri.utoronto.ca
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

jrs2@abcom.ATT.COM (6991 2301 Maitland Ctr Maitland) (03/17/89)

In article <1596@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, roberts@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Timothy Roberts) writes:
> Gentlemen,
> 	I am not a hater of Soviets nor Communist Chinese but I do Believe in
> discipline and state secrets.  While in the Marine Corps, I was based on a
> military station with plenty of "secrets" as my everyday surroundings.  I am
>.
.
.
> P.S. Go ahead and say something and I bet you a trip to Kennedy Space Center
> that someone wearing sunglasses andd rubber soled shoes comes to ask you "A
> few quick questions!"

Not too paranoid, are we???

craig@.COM (Craig Stanfill) (03/17/89)

The rumor I have heard about the SR-71 is that the fuel is used to cool the
skin.  This would, I suppose, explain why they use highly viscous JP-7 (so it
doesn't boil in the skin), and why fuel leaks out from the expansion joints.

The other rumor I have heard is from someone who claims to have seen
an SR-71 being readied for flight, and claims that the skin was
frosted over (the implication being that the Blackbird used some sort of
cryogenic fuel).

I sort of believe the first, and a don't believe the second.

					- Craig
				Craig Stanfill
				Advanced Information Systems
				Thinking Machines Corporation
				(617) 876-1111

macs%worke@Sun.COM (Manuel Cisneros) (03/18/89)

In article <1596@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> roberts@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Timothy P. P. Roberts) writes:
>I do Not and will never reveal information to public access that (while hurting
>SDI) would reveal secrets or just little known facts that any fool could tell
>were damaging to U.S. Security.

I don't think anyone who was originally given the clearance to work
intimately with anything of this nature is going to be dumb/fool enough
to give away really important stuff.  The Blackbird is by todays standards/
technologies not on the cutting edge anymore even thou it is still the
hottest thing around (that we know of) and has been so documented, photographed,
analyzed, and in general talked about that I don' think that there are too
many things left about it that would really cause any problems if they
were known, although I'm sure somebody will contradict me on this.

So far everything that has been posted I've read in one of several books
on the Blackbird, have heard/deduced from news reports on Stealth
aircraft, or found on the instructions to my 1/48 model of the SR-71.
Some of the explanations/'facts' I am not entirely convinced are correct,
while some others I am pretty sure are way off, but its fun reading all this
and I hope it doesn't stop.

Manuel.

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (03/18/89)

>>There were many other rumors.  Heard any good ones you'd like me to comment
>>on?
>
> You'll like this one.  I heard that the skin of the aircraft was designed
> to allow for the expansion caused by fricion heating.  Therefore the gap
> left between each panel was such that fuel would leak out while the
> "Bird" was on the ground.

This is correct.  In fact I watch one, prior to take off, with fuel pouring
out all over the runway.  (Note, they only put in enough fuel to get up to alt.
then they immediately refuel.)

  Phil Lindberg   UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546

velasco@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) (03/18/89)

	I remember reading , somewhere, that the surface on the SR71 was
corrugated because of the brittleness of very thin titanium.  It improves it's
stiffness just like the corrugations in a cardboard box.
	I read this a long time ago and I don't remember the source so there's
a chance that I am wrong.  I am curious now as to how correct this is.

	Gabriel Velasco
	UCSD San Diego

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (03/18/89)

sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Stuart Warmink) writes:
>>	You are correct, the skin of the '71 looks like a congrued surface. As
>>	the skin heats up during flight, it expands and smoothens out. [...]
>Something else to ponder about - the SR71 is very dark coloured, and Concord is
>white for the same reason: to stay cool, so to speak!

	Uh, I do not think that heat radiation played much (if any) part in the
color scheme of either the Concorde or the SR-71.  The Concorde MIGHT be white
to help it NOT absorb as much heat, but the vast majority of the heat that is
generated by either of these planes is in the form of friction, and the color
of the plane does not make any difference in how much friction there is (unless
the paint is really rough :-).

	The SR-71 is black mostly because it flies up in the upper-reaches of
the atmosphere, and will blend in (more) against the backdrop of space (if you
ever see one, you will notice there are NO markings on the underside).  The
color may have something to do with the RAM (radar absorbent material) and
other Stealthy-stuff associated with it.  I suspect, however, that most of the
reason is to make it blend into the backdrop of space (when this plane first
flew, no Soviet planes could fly as high as it could, and with the black
backdrop, it would be a lot harder to site visually).

>"PENTAGON OFFICIALS ARE CONCERNED ABOUT  |  Stuart Warmink, Whippany, NJ, USA
>AN ANTIMATTER SHORTAGE"  ("WHAT'S NEW")  | sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (att!cbnewsl!sw)

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |

ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) (03/20/89)

In article <281@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Stuart Warmink) writes:
> In article <5983@homxc.ATT.COM> h16@homxc.ATT.COM (D.JACOBOWITZ) writes:
> >I think the reason for taking off light on fuel (50-60% capacity,
> >I thought), was to increase the safety margin in case of engine
> >failure during takeoff.

Structural reasons only.  Like many aircraft, it can't land with it's max
fuel load.  Also, it took off only with enough to hit the tanker.  No need
for more for majority of missions.

> Talking about engine failure, if this happens during a high-Mach run, the
> resulting asymmetrical drag yaws the aircraft around so fast that the crew's
> heads (or rather, their helmets!) are banged against the cockpit's windows.
> [The engines can flame out at supersonic speeds if the inlet shock-cones are
> not set to the correct position for that particular speed...]
>
> (I read about the above many years ago in some aviation magazine.)
> --

The banging of heads is true, even saw a cracked helmet.
As far as the 'flame out' causing that, it wasn't a true flameout, although
those did happen and would cause same symptoms.  Most of these asymetrical
gyrations were caused by 'unstarts', where for some reason or another, usually
though by the computers that control the spike, the inlet lost control of
the shock wave.  The J-58 was not a supersonic engine, besides a majority
of the thrust was caused by bypassing the shockwave around the engine and
redirecting into the afterburner section, so loss of the shock wave effectively
'flamed out' that engine for the purposes of thrust.  When this happened,
the spike would go to full forward position, then the computer would
retract it to proper position for shock wave control.

BTW, let me make a brief comment on one poster's conern about military
secrets.  Everything that I've posted, or seen posted that was correct, is
public knowledge.  Maybe not wide public knowledge, but public nevertheless.
Certainly there are things that are not to be discussed, but as for my part
as I said before, I haven't read anything on the net that couldn't be found
in Janes, Aviation Leak or Air Progress in some issue or another.

Your point however is well taken.  Rest assured...

By the way, talked to an old SR buddy last night.  He'll let me know when
he hears of any retirement ceremonies at Beale.  I'll post when I hear.

Ron Schweikert

ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) (03/20/89)

> scooped all posters to date---except, perhaps, for the most interesting
> and imaginative ones.
>
>     Did you know that radiative cooling is insufficient at the SR-71's
>     top speed of Mach 7?  It must be supplemented by evaporative
>     cooling.  JP-7 is released along the leading edges of the wings,
>     and boils off as it streams back.  This, of course, drastically

I'm sorry, did I miss something.  This was a joke right?  An example of how
they get it wrong?  The leading edges of the Blackbird are usually covered
with RTV!  Plastic leading edges.  Guaranteed, no fuel release anywhere
(except normal sieve-like leakeage :-)) except out the tail.

arg@warwick.UUCP (A Ruaraidh Gillies) (03/21/89)

In article <1993NU052179@NDSUVM1> NU052179@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
>You'll like this one.  I heard that the skin of the aircraft was designed
>to allow for the expansion caused by fricion heating.  Therefor the gap
>left between each panel was such that fuel would leak out while the
>"Bird" was on the ground.  The plane had to be fueled and gotten into
>the air and up to speed to heat the skin and close the leaks!  WOW!
>     I would have ignored this one if I hadn't heard it from more than
>one "knowledgable" source.  It sounds a bit dangerous ;-)

Well it would be wouldn't be? But then again, they don't use regular Four star
(or whatever the usual name for high grade petrol is in the States). I realise
that the guy who asked for rumours will have replied to you before this
article gets to you, but then, there'll probably be a whole host of people
following-up to you telling you that
        THIS IS PERFECTLY TRUE!

My memory tells me that they use JP-5 low-flashpoint fuel - you can drop a
lit match in a pool of the stuff and the match goes out.

And I don't work at Mildenhall (the USAF airbase in England where a Blackbird
flies from)

(Maybe the question for rumours was put out just to see how much *true* stuff
about the Blackbird was disbelieved? :-)

Question unrelated to the fuel issue: Why is this conversation in
sci.space.shuttle? Sure, I like it, but why was it put in here in the first
place?
+============================================================================+
Contact me on:     | Ruaraidh Gillies   | "Many men have tried."
 arg@uk.ac.warwick | 2nd year Comp Sci  | "They tried and failed?"
  or               | Warwick University | "They tried and died."
 arg@warwick.UUCP  | Coventry CV4 7AL   | (Rev Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam &
+============================================================================+

art@buengc.BU.EDU (A. R. Thompson) (03/21/89)

In article <349@tahoma.UUCP> prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) writes:
>>>There were many other rumors.  Heard any good ones you'd like me to comment
>>>on?

Not a rumor, but a question:  I've seen it mentioned that either the
original drawings or the tooling was destroyed on orders of Secretary of
Defense Robert S. McNamara.  Does anyone know the details on this?  Is
this really what happened?  Why would he do such a thing?

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (03/21/89)

In article <278@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Stuart Warmink) writes:
> In article <320@carroll1.UUCP> dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Troup) writes:
>>	You are correct, the skin of the '71 looks like a congrued surface. As
>>	the skin heats up during flight, it expands and smoothens out. [...]
>
> As the wing-span itself won't change much (it is mostly the skin which gets hot),
> the corrugations will actually get bigger as the skin expands!
> Perhaps another reason they exist is to increase the surface area available for
> radiating the heat away...but then again, more heat will be generated in the first
> place...

(From an article about Kelly Johnson read long ago and far away...)

The corrugated skin on the SR-71 came about when Johnson (or one of his
team) noticed an odd castiron stove with a corrugated surface.

When he asked why it was made that way, the manufacturer said that if
they didn't do it, the sides of the stove would warp as it heated and
cooled...it kept flat sections flat at whatever temperatures.

They were having this same problem at the time with the SR-71's design.

> Something else to ponder about - the SR71 is very dark coloured, and Concord is
> white for the same reason: to stay cool, so to speak!

At the time, there were only two paint color available that would stand
the heat expected during the plane's operation.  The XB-70 got white,
the SR-71 got black, and Lockheed spent something like $1M getting a
pint developed that would allow painting US insignia on the aircraft,
and not have to repaint after each flight.  (Or so goes the tale.)

miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) (03/25/89)

In article <18674@srcsip.UUCP>, rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) writes:

> They plug the gaps in the skin with tar (or expensive equivalent) before
> flight so it does not leak.  when the plane heats up it melts and  goes
> away (leaving trailing flames???)  It is when the plane lands  that
> fuel leaks out.  Every picture I have seen of the plane on the ground
> has a puddle under the plane.

Something I've noticed every time I've seen an SR-71 at an air show is the
large pile of kitty litter under the plane, presumably to sop up excess fuel.
I've heard tales that the fuel's so difficult to ignite that ground crews will
terrify neophytes by grinding out lit cigarettes in SR-71 fuel puddles.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gfk@bridge2.3Com.Com (Gregory Kendall) (03/26/89)

In article <5628@brspyr1.BRS.Com> miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) writes:
... stuff deleted
>I've heard tales that the fuel's so difficult to ignite that ground crews will
>terrify neophytes by grinding out lit cigarettes in SR-71 fuel puddles.

Listen up, folks. Cigarettes are not very hot, when it comes to igniting fuel.
I have, repeatedly, dropped lit cirarettes into buckets of gasoline (that's
right, mogas, autogas). NO ignition! A cigarettes won't even ignite gasoline,
let alone kerosine/jet fuel. This trick is, I'll admit, a good one to scare
the shit out of the naive.

dep@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (David Pugh) (03/27/89)

In article <540@bridge2.3Com.Com> gfk@vision.3Com.com (Gregory F. Kendall) writes:
>Listen up, folks. Cigarettes are not very hot, when it comes to igniting fuel.
>I have, repeatedly, dropped lit cigarettes into buckets of gasoline (that's
>right, mogas, autogas). NO ignition!

I'd be rather careful doing this. If you try it with a partially full
bucket that has sat around for awhile, you may get a rather large explosion.
A cigarette may not ignite liquid gasoline, but I'd be surprised if it
couldn't touch off gasoline vapors.
--
Never be angry when a fool acts like a		David Pugh
fool.  It's better when fools identify		....!seismo!cmucspt!cat!dep

raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (03/28/89)

In article <540@bridge2.3Com.Com> gfk@vision.3Com.com (Gregory F. Kendall) writes:
>In article <5628@brspyr1.BRS.Com> miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) writes:
>... stuff deleted
>>I've heard tales that the fuel's so difficult to ignite that ground crews will
>>terrify neophytes by grinding out lit cigarettes in SR-71 fuel puddles.
>
>Listen up, folks. Cigarettes are not very hot, when it comes to igniting fuel.
>I have, repeatedly, dropped lit cirarettes into buckets of gasoline (that's
>right, mogas, autogas). NO ignition! A cigarettes won't even ignite gasoline,
>let alone kerosine/jet fuel. This trick is, I'll admit, a good one to scare
>the shit out of the naive.

	The real danger isn't the liquid, but vapors.  Although
	most fuels are more benign, watch out for JP-5  -- it's
	volatile and the vapors are heavier than air; it'll
	lie on the ground and wait for your cigarette instead of
	dissipating quickly.

	This problem is why only the military uses JP-5, and I'm
	not sure how much they still use it.  As for buckets of
	gasoline, that may be safe, but I'd prefer not to be close
	if you chuck a cigarette into a nearly-empty gas tank.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) (03/28/89)

> >>	You are correct, the skin of the '71 looks like a congrued surface. As
> >>	the skin heats up during flight, it expands and smoothens out. [...]

I pulled off *many* wing panels, top and bottom.  It's impossible for them
to smooth out.  They have ribs perpendicular to those 'congruences'.  One other
poster correctly stated that design is for strength.

> >Something else to ponder about - the SR71 is very dark coloured, and Concord is
> >white for the same reason: to stay cool, so to speak!

The black paint is a special mixture, helps to expel heat from the metal
surfaces.  What the Lockheed folks told us was that the black absorbed more
heat from the metal than it absorbed from the sun.

> 	The SR-71 is black mostly because it flies up in the upper-reaches of
> the atmosphere, and will blend in (more) against the backdrop of space (if you
> ever see one, you will notice there are NO markings on the underside).

There are markings on the top and bottom of the SR, like any other Air Force
jet.  It has the USAF as well as the star.  Additionally, the jets that did
the speed runs have a long, wide white stripe down the bottom of the
fuselage.  When I left Beale, they hadn't repainted them.

gfk@bridge2.3Com.Com (Gregory Kendall) (03/28/89)

In article <4575@pt.cs.cmu.edu> dep@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (David Pugh) writes:

stuff deleted

>I'd be rather careful doing this. If you try it with a partially full
>bucket that has sat around for awhile, you may get a rather large explosion.
>A cigarette may not ignite liquid gasoline, but I'd be surprised if it
>couldn't touch off gasoline vapors.

Every time I have done this (thrown a lit cigarette into a bucket of gas)
it has been outside, sitting in the sun, sometimes for hours.
The gasoline still does not ignite.

bobs@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Bob Smart) (04/01/89)

In article <7855@venera.isi.edu>, raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) writes:

> 	The real danger isn't the liquid, but vapors.  Although
> 	most fuels are more benign, watch out for JP-5  -- it's
> 	volatile and the vapors are heavier than air; it'll
> 	lie on the ground and wait for your cigarette instead of
> 	dissipating quickly.
>
> 	This problem is why only the military uses JP-5, and I'm
> 	not sure how much they still use it.  As for buckets of
> 	gasoline, that may be safe, but I'd prefer not to be close
> 	if you chuck a cigarette into a nearly-empty gas tank.

You are thinking of JP-4. The Air Force uses JP-4 which is very
vaporous. It ie what is called a wide cut distallate. The Navy
uses JP-5 which is a narrow cut distallate and therefor has a
much lower vapor problem. That is specifically why they use it
They have an aversion to vapors building up on confined hanger
decks. I believe JP-5 is much closer to civilian Jet-A but
being an ex AF type I only dealt with it in annual safety
bbriefings and when one of our planes refueled at a Naval
Base that didn't have JP-4 (some have a limmited supply for
tenant units. The difference for us is the fuel gages read
differntly on the two (different specific gravity). The Navy
was real touchy though. If any JP-4 got into their fuel
system they had to completly purge the system. To complicate
the matter further NATO uses an even different fuel. They
refer to it as F-?? (I think JP-4 is F-41 and their standard
is F-40 but its been a long while) That we call JP-8 ( I always
got that one and SR-71 fuel mixed up is SR-71 fuel JP-7? or
am I reversed again(:-)) Oh well enough dissertation on jet
fuel last comment though- when unleaded mogas was 1.00 a
gallon in tidewater Virginia our squadron payed 1.55 a gallon
for JP-4 to Base Fuels and we used ~3600 gal for each F-15
flight.

Bob Smart (bobs@verdix.com)

maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu (George W. Herbert) (04/04/89)

In article <543@bridge2.3Com.Com> gfk@vision.3Com.com (Gregory F. Kendall) writes:
[re fuel explosions]
>Every time I have done this (thrown a lit cigarette into a bucket of gas)
>it has been outside, sitting in the sun, sometimes for hours.
>The gasoline still does not ignite.

I don't know what angel is looking over Your health, but the last FEW times
i tried stunts like this i blew up whatever it was, and once or twice
myself.

Kids, replecate only with clear knowledge that you may die and almost certainly
will get burned.  It's still fun, tho... ;-)

ps-what's this still doing under 'sr-71...'???

george william herbert
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu

phillip@bartal.CRLABS.COM (Phillip M. Vogel) (04/05/89)

In article <22583@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu (George W. Herbert) writes:
>In article <543@bridge2.3Com.Com> gfk@vision.3Com.com (Gregory F. Kendall) writes:
>[re fuel explosions]
[stuff deleted about blowing yourself up and how much fun it is]
>ps-what's this still doing under 'sr-71...'???
And what, in the name of the Net.God is this doing in sci.space.shuttle?
The SR-71 stuff is interesting enough, but jeez, let's leave the
self-immolation stuff in alt.sex  :-)
--
Phillip M. Vogel, President             | #include <standard_disclaimer.h>
Bartal Design Group, Inc. Englewood, NJ | (201)567-1343   FAX:(201)568-2891

miket@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Mike Trout) (04/08/89)

In article <9552@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) writes:

> 	The SR-71 is black mostly because it flies up in the upper-reaches of
> the atmosphere, and will blend in (more) against the backdrop of space (if you
> ever see one, you will notice there are NO markings on the underside).

The last couple I've seen have had no markings at all, top or bottom.  Not even
a tail serial number.  I'm assuming there must be a serial number SOMEWHERE
(maybe inside landing gear doors or someplace like that), but all topside
national and identification markings seem to have been removed over the last
few years.  Anbody know why?

Oops, sorry!  I forgot--I'm not supposed to mention this!  Now the
Commies are gonna shoot down our SR-71s for sure!  I'd better stop typing now,
so I can go and turn myself in to the NSA.  After all, if the inquiry on the
destruction of the USS _Maine_ is still classified, SR-71 marking info is BOUND
to be top secret..