[sci.space.shuttle] Launch windows for STS-30!

phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (04/06/89)

Launch windows.  We got launch windows.

The rumors I heard were true.  Here are the opening and closing times for
the launch windows for the first seven available days (all times are CDT):

Date	 Open	Close	Duration (minutes)
4/28	13:24	13:42	 18
4/29	13:18	13:43	 25
4/30	13:13	13:44	 31
5/1	13:07	13:45	 38
5/2	13:01	13:45	 44
5/3	12:54	13:46	 52
5/4	12:48	13:47	 59

Notice that this puts the launch in the early afternoon.  The constraints
are really strange on this one.  They have to launch very late because of
Magellan, and the window closing times are constrained by sunset at the
trans-atlantic abort sites.

I have a chart that lists the window opening and closing times through
5/28.  I'll post more if there is interest.

The scedule calls for Magellan to be deployed (if memory serves me
correctly) during orbit 5.  Landing is scheduled for MET 4 days and 56
minutes, so the landing will also be in the early afternoon.

This is probably the last flight that I'll be able to get "inside"
information for, so enjoy it while you can.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

sjeyasin@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (swaraj jeyasingh) (04/10/89)

From article <3030@kalliope.rice.edu>, by phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre):
> Launch windows.  We got launch windows.
>
> The rumors I heard were true.  Here are the opening and closing times for
> the launch windows for the first seven available days (all times are CDT):
>                                                                      ^^^^ ?

Can you tell me what the time zones are across the US. I know there are five
but not sure which one KSC is in. Most Shuttle launch times seem to be marked
as EST (eastern standard time ??) (or was it EDT !) so how come CDT here.

Also, I would be interested in the other launch windows if you don't mind
typing in the lot.

Thanks.

Swaraj Jeyasingh                        sjeyasingh@axion.bt.co.uk
G24/SSTF
British Telecom Research Labs
Martlesham Heath,
IPSWICH IP5 7RE
UK

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (04/11/89)

In article <1333@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> sjeyasin@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk writes:
>From article <3030@kalliope.rice.edu>, by phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre):
>> Launch windows.  We got launch windows.
>> (all times are CDT):
>Can you tell me what the time zones are across the US. I know there are five
>but not sure which one KSC is in. Most Shuttle launch times seem to be marked
>as EST (eastern standard time ??) (or was it EDT !) so how come CDT here.

Oh.  Sorry.  I tend to forget about overseas readers.  KSC is in the
Eastern time zone, but the Johnson Space Center (Mission Control) along
with myself am in the Central zone.  The charts I was working from were
JSC charts, so the times were GMT and Central.  The zones in the
continental U.S., from east to west, are Eastern, Central, Mountain, and
Pacific.  Central is one hour west of Eastern.  Add on top of that the
fact that we are now in daylight savings time (thus the D in "CDT")......

To go from GMT to CDT (that's DAYLIGHT time), subtract 5 hours.  So the
4/28 launch window opens at 18:24 GMT.

>Also, I would be interested in the other launch windows if you don't mind
>typing in the lot.

If I have some time.   I have about a third of it typed in now.  But the
whoe chart is quite a bit:  30 days worth.  And the functions are not
linear, so I can't just write a program to do it (in fact, they're
probably not even polynomial).