[sci.space.shuttle] NASA now says odds are 1 in 78

colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) (04/13/89)

Front page news in NY Times last weekend:  NASA now estimates odds of losing
another shuttle are 1 in 78 per launch.  I guess they must have tweaked a
few reliability models to account for this change from 1 in 100,000 down to
1 in 78 :-).  It's also worth noting how close this new estimate is to what
Richard Feynmann came up with.  The article says these new odds are causing
major head-holding within NASA, because they change the predicted likelihood
of another lost shuttle in this century from "not gonna happen" to highly
likely, maybe even two more lost.

Bob Colwell               ..!uunet!mfci!colwell
Multiflow Computer     or colwell@multiflow.com
175 N. Main St.
Branford, CT 06405     203-488-6090

In article <773@m3.mfci.UUCP> colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) writes:
>Front page news in NY Times last weekend:  NASA now estimates odds of losing
>another shuttle are 1 in 78 per launch...
>... The article says these new odds are causing
>major head-holding within NASA, because they change the predicted likelihood
>of another lost shuttle in this century from "not gonna happen" to highly
>likely, maybe even two more lost.

Sigh, some people (in NASA) simply don't listen when told.  Quite apart
from warnings from individual observers like Feynman, the NRC report on
attainable shuttle launch frequencies was most explicit in saying that
further losses are inevitable and must be prepared for (specifically,
by maintaining low-rate orbiter production).
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu