[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Payload Capacity

behr8762@fredonia.UUCP (Mike Behr) (04/17/89)

The Challenger mishap has brought about added safety features to the
space transportation system (ie. revamped Solid Rocket Boosters, crew
escape system  using an escape pole, etc.).  This, no doubt, has cut the
shuttle's maximum payload capacity from 65,000 pounds to around 55,000
depending on the orbiter (Columbia being the oldest and heaviest of the
fleet probably is even more limited in regards to its payload).
     The shuttle main engines during flight are used at 104% rated thrust.
I understand the maximum rated thrust is 109% (correct me if I'm wrong)
but have not to my knowledge been throttled to 109% since the shuttle has
been operational.  Does anybody know why - is it because the engine
hardware will be pushed to their limits increasing the chances of
catastrophe???  Anyway, say that sometime in the future the space shuttle
main engines (SSME's) will be flight certified to run at 109%, will this
increase the payload capacity, if so by how much - maybe back to past
levels??  I wonder if NASA should devote the resources to more powerful
and efficient main engines rather to a new more expensive and possibly
risky generation of solid or even liquid boosters to replace the ones
presently used.

--
*NIXON'S THEOREM:********************** Mike Behr *****************************
*  The man who can smile when things    decvax!sunybcs!fredonia!behr8762      *

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (04/18/89)

In article <1521@fredonia.UUCP> behr8762@fredonia.UUCP (Mike Behr) writes:
>     The shuttle main engines during flight are used at 104% rated thrust.
>I understand the maximum rated thrust is 109% (correct me if I'm wrong)

That's correct.

>but have not to my knowledge been throttled to 109% since the shuttle has
>been operational.  Does anybody know why - is it because the engine
>hardware will be pushed to their limits increasing the chances of
>catastrophe???

Certain scenarios that involve loss of an SSME are considered catastrophic.
If one of those was to fly apart at full throttle, there's no way to predict
what damage it could do.  They have noticed problems in the past with main
engines and are probably a little nervous about them.  Why push it when you
don't have to?

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

In article <3108@kalliope.rice.edu> I wrote:
>Certain scenarios that involve loss of an SSME are considered catastrophic.
>If one of those was to fly apart at full throttle, there's no way to predict
>what damage it could do.

Someone has pointed out to me that the difference in throttling between
104% and 109% isn't going to make that much difference if the engine flies
apart.  However (as he also pointed out), running at 104% produces less
wear on the engine and thus reduces the chances of failure.  I concur.

Besides, I don't think that the difference in thrust would be all that
significant, especially where payload capacity is concerned.  During the
first two minutes of flight, the large majority of the thrust is coming
from the SRB's, not the SSME's.  Wouldn't that be more of a limiting
factor?