[sci.space.shuttle] Watching the Shuttle Launches

steve@goofy.nm.paradyne.com (Steve Fowler) (04/20/89)

In article <4509@mtuxo.att.com> tee@mtuxo.att.com (54317-T.EBERSOLE) writes:
>In article <4505@mtuxo.att.com>, tee@mtuxo.att.com (54317-T.EBERSOLE) writes:
><
>< I'll be in Florida next week and will be trying to watch Atlantis
>< leap for the sky. .....
>< .. getting tickets or passes from my Congressman ....
>< Tickets aren't needed for the public viewing area, as it's first-
>< come-first-served.
>< So, I thought I'd check with you folks on the correctness of this
>< opinion, and for suggestions on how to best view the shuttle launch.
>< Is there someone else I should try to contact?
><
>
>To followup my own article, I called Robert Torricelli, the only
>NJ Rep. listed by Peter Scott as a member of the Committee on
>Science, Space and Technologies. (Peter, thank you for posting
>that list.) His office said passes are required (although I'm
>still hazy on what the passes are for; some public viewing area,
>I suppose). Passes should be mailed to me by the NASA Liaison
>Office today.
>
>I would still like to read suggestions on how to best view the
>shuttle launch, when I should get there, directions to wherever
>the passes get me in, ...
>
>--
>Tim Ebersole ...!att!mtuxo!tee
>                 or {allegra,ulysses,mtune,...}!mtuxo!tee

If have been  to  only  one  launch.   The  return  to  space  of
Discovery.  The gentlemen I went with have relatives that work on
the shuttle itself.  They relayed to me that the passes will  get
you  onto  the  Space  Center  causeway.  The causeway is about 8
miles away from the launch pad and be seen cleary.   Unforunately
I  was  not  able  to get on base due to unforseen problems, so I
ended up about 11 miles out on a causeway on the  north  side  of
the  base.   If  you  get passes for the launch, most likely they
will get you onto the  causeway.   The  Challenger  accident  had
forced  the NASA people to move the civilians to at least 8 miles
out from the pad to avoid problems with  civilians  should  there
any kind of accident.  The press is allowed to within three miles
from the pad, this press area sits along side the launch  control
center.   The  only  persons allowed closer than 3 miles during a
launch is the crew of the shuttle itself.  I would highly  recom-
mend  that  you get there EARLY to avoid traffic problems. When I
went, we get there about 4:30am fro an  11:30am  launch  and  the
traffic was backed up then, so, be for warned.

I live in the Tampa Bay area and seen  two  launches  from  here.
Both were spectacular.  I hope you get on base to see the launch.
It will be well worth any hassles you encounter  along  the  way.

Good Luck.

Steve F.
Steve Fowler         \ _ / |UUCP:   ..!uunet!pdn!steve          ---
AT&T/Paradyne        ~o.O~ |DOMAIN: steve@pdn.paradyne.com     -==--
P.O. Box 2826        (_|_) |LAND:   (813)530-2186              -==-- AT&T
Largo, FL 34649-2826 / U   |SEA:    27 53 30 N / 82 45 30 W     ---  Paradyne

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (04/22/89)

In article <5962@pdn.paradyne.com> steve@goofy.paradyne.com (Steve Fowler) writes:
>I live in the Tampa Bay area and seen  two  launches  from  here.
>Both were spectacular.  I hope you get on base to see the launch.
>It will be well worth any hassles you encounter  along  the  way.

     This will probably amaze people who don't live near the Cape, but I have
lived about 40 minutes south of the Cape for almost seven years and have never
been to a launch.  I like to watch them from the roof of our building here at
Harris, or from the front yard.  Even if you don't get super close, it is
still a neat experience.  Even down here, forty miles away, the noise rumbles
by about six minutes after launch.  With a pair of binoculars, you can follow
the SRBs all the way down after separation.

     I would agree that the traffic will be horrendous, but worth it.  In
particular, the Beeline Expressway (State Road 528) and State Road 520 will be
very crowded.  Route 1 and A1A will be crowded also.  Get as close as you can
and just enjoy it.  I've heard that the very best place to watch is from a boat
in the Banana River just west of the Cape.  Before Challenger, commercial
pilots leaving from Melbourne Airport would time their flights to be in the air
to the west right at launch.  A view from the air would be spectacular.

Chuck Musciano			ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 		Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912		AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902		FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}