[sci.space.shuttle] 104% on shuttle launch

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/21/89)

In article <1039@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU>, johns@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Sahr) writes:
> In article <883@sactoh0.UUCP> bncox@sactoh0.UUCP (Brian N. Cox) writes:
> >This is little bit old, but during the last shuttle launch I heard
> >one of the radio messages say "...engines at 104%..."  This seems
> >like a contradiction to me.  If someone has succeeded in making the
> >perpetual motion machine let me know, an engine running at 104%
> >sounds great though.  Please excuse my cynicism, but I truly don't
> >understand.  Someone please explain?!

OK.  104% of the original design spec thrust.

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (04/22/89)

>This is little bit old, but during the last shuttle launch I heard
>one of the radio messages say "...engines at 104%..."  This seems
>like a contradiction to me.  If someone has succeeded in making the
>perpetual motion machine let me know, an engine running at 104%
>sounds great though.  Please excuse my cynicism, but I truly don't
>understand.  Someone please explain?!
>
>Brian Cox
>pyramid!amdahl!pacbell!sactoh0!bncox
>----------

Well, the idea is that there is an optimum number of RPMs at which
the engine can run. If you rev it any faster, you're at over 100%
of the number of optimal RPMs.

The FCC has a similar measurement for modulation of a radio signal.
When you are at 100% modulation, the signal is as strong as it can
get without being distorted. At 101%, your signal is stronger than at
100%, but it is distorted. At 99% it is still undistorted, but not
at full strength.

So to carry this over to your engine running at 104%, it is running
harder than at 100%, but it is past its point of peak efficientcy, and
may do something non-user-friendly, like blow everyone all to Hell.

|Howard Stateman, Hewlett-Packard Response Center, Mountain View, CA |
|howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM      or     hplabs!hpwrce!howeird             |
|Disclaimer: I couldn't possibly speak for HP. I know too much.      |
|Sysop of the Anatomically Correct BBS (415) 364-3739                |

donegan@stanton.UUCP (Steve Donegan) (04/22/89)

In article <1039@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU>, johns@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Sahr) writes:
> In article <883@sactoh0.UUCP> bncox@sactoh0.UUCP (Brian N. Cox) writes:
> >This is little bit old, but during the last shuttle launch I heard
> >one of the radio messages say "...engines at 104%..."  This seems
> >like a contradiction to me.  If someone has succeeded in making the
> >perpetual motion machine let me know, an engine running at 104%
> >sounds great though.  Please excuse my cynicism, but I truly don't
> >understand.  Someone please explain?!

The explanation is really rather simple. The 104% is relative to the ORIGINAL
engine specifications.

The newer engines are capable (so I've heard, second-hand) of roughly 111%
maximum thrust relative to the original system.

I'm really surprised that such 'new' hardware hasn't met with the same
man-rating hassle that the mere suggestion of more modern computer systems
on-board seem to meet.

After all... isn't a modification of an explosive burning system just as
dangerous as the modification of antique core-memory control computer
systems?

Large smiley intended...

--
Steven P. Donegan                 These opinions are given on MY time, not
Area Telecommunications Engineer  Western Digital's

ajk@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) (04/23/89)

In article <9130002@hpwrce.HP.COM>, howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
> So to carry this over to your engine running at 104%, it is running
> harder than at 100%, but it is past its point of peak efficientcy, and
> may do something non-user-friendly, like blow everyone all to Hell.

Something tells me that this is incorrect.  Why, in NASA's infinite wisdom
would they knowingly send up all these space shuttles whose engines run
inefficiently??  Why would they use an engine that would be prone to blow
up?  Sure, things may have gotten out of hand before the Challenger
accident, but that's not quite what I meant.  Getting something into space
is a delicate maneuver and needs all the precision there is.  Using something
that is inefficient and succeptable to blow up seems quite unreasonable.

My personal opinion, and something that I certainly don't know as fact, would
be that the engines used were originally expected to operate at a level X,
or 100%.  But, the production engines actually operate at X+4%, or 104%.

That's what seems a little better to me, but again, I could be absolutely
wrong.

     - Jeff Boerio

---
Jeff Boerio -- Tg Programming               FidoNet: 1:201/100
Purdue University Computer Science Dept.    E-Mail:  mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajk

dave@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (David Messer) (04/24/89)

In article <1039@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> johns@calvin.ee.cornell.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
 >In article <883@sactoh0.UUCP> bncox@sactoh0.UUCP (Brian N. Cox) writes:
 >>This is little bit old, but during the last shuttle launch I heard
 >>one of the radio messages say "...engines at 104%..."  This seems
 >>like a contradiction to me.  If someone has succeeded in making the
 >>perpetual motion machine let me know, an engine running at 104%
 >>sounds great though.  Please excuse my cynicism, but I truly don't
 >>understand.  Someone please explain?!
 >
 >Well, this is clearly explained in the Rob Reiner film "This is Spinal Tap."
 >In the movie one of the band members demonstrates that the amplifier can
 >be turned up to "11", one past "10". So it's just a little bit louder,
 >just right for those stressful times when you can't hear your own monitor.

That's it exactly.  The Russians only have engines that go up to 100% --
ours are better because they go to 104%  I hear that the next design
might go up to 110% or even 115%.

--
Paranoia is just good thinking if    | David Messer       dave@Lynx.MN.Org -or-
everybody IS out to get you.         | Lynx Data Systems  ...!bungia!viper!dave

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (04/24/89)

In article <2516@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ajk@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) writes:

>My personal opinion, and something that I certainly don't know as fact, would
>be that the engines used were originally expected to operate at a level X,
>or 100%.  But, the production engines actually operate at X+4%, or 104%.

The SSME's have a nominal thrust for their use on the Shuttle at 100%.
The design limit is 109% of nominal thrust. The use limit is 104% of
nominal thrust leaving a 5% safety factor. In order for there to be
good guarantee of the engines working at the 100% point, they had to be
designed to guarantee reliable operation at a higher thrust, in this case
109%. However, they don't use them beyond 104%.

Peter Jarvis.............

nunelson@ndsuvax.UUCP (James Nelson) (04/24/89)

In article <2516@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ajk@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) writes:
>In article <9130002@hpwrce.HP.COM>, howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
>> So to carry this over to your engine running at 104%, it is running
>> harder than at 100%, but it is past its point of peak efficientcy, and
>> may do something non-user-friendly, like blow everyone all to Hell.
>
>Something tells me that this is incorrect.  Why, in NASA's infinite wisdom

Some official type said (a few launches back, can't remember which one)
after the shuttle commander said "throttling back to 100%" that the engine
power is in relation to the original engines in Columbia.  It was because
that the current shuttle's engines are more powerful than the engines
originally in Columbia.  Upgrades, and all that.

                        Jim
Note: The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.  Why should I copy
      someone else?

#! rnews

raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (04/24/89)

In article <9130002@hpwrce.HP.COM> howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
>>This is little bit old, but during the last shuttle launch I heard
>>one of the radio messages say "...engines at 104%..."

	If my memory's not too foggy, the main engines were originally
	certified for a given power level.  After enough testing they
	cleared them first to 104% of that level, then to 109% for
	limited burn periods.

>So to carry this over to your engine running at 104%, it is running
>harder than at 100%, but it is past its point of peak efficientcy, and
>may do something non-user-friendly, like blow everyone all to Hell.

	Last night I found a note in Feynman's Appendix F to
	the Challenger Commision's report, where he spoke briefly
	about blade cracking in the high pressure fuel turbopump.
	Info at that time suggested that running at 109% rather
	than 104% would reduce the blades' safe lifetime by a
	factor of 2.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (04/25/89)

>My personal opinion, and something that I certainly don't know as fact, would
>be that the engines used were originally expected to operate at a level X,
>or 100%.  But, the production engines actually operate at X+4%, or 104%.
>
>That's what seems a little better to me, but again, I could be absolutely
>wrong.
>
     >- Jeff Boerio

You're absolutely wrong, Jeff.   :-)

Seriously, when I read your response I thought you were joking, till I
saw this last line.

Every engine I have ever seen has had the ability to be pushed beyond its
limits. It's why they have a red line on the tachometer in your average
sports car (Camaro, Firebird, etc). I find it hard to believe that the
folks at NASA have build an engine which only operates at peak efficiency.
mostly because there is no such thing.

willisa@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mark Willis) (04/26/89)

In article <2591@ndsuvax.UUCP> nunelson@ndsuvax.UUCP (James Nelson) writes:

>Some official type said (a few launches back, can't remember which one)
>after the shuttle commander said "throttling back to 100%" that the engine
>power is in relation to the original engines in Columbia.  It was because
>that the current shuttle's engines are more powerful than the engines
>originally in Columbia.  Upgrades, and all that.

No, because engines do not belong to a particular orbiter, but instead are
just allocated according to whichever happens to have finished reprocessing.

I always thought that the thrust level was measured at sea-level, so that
as the orbiter ascended the engines were capable of higher thrust. Or does
it work the other way round - thrust decreases with altitude? I am aware
that the engines dont require an atmosphere to "push against", but it
must have some effect.

		Mark
		----

holroyd@dinl.uucp (kevin w. holroyd) (04/27/89)

>In article <9130002@hpwrce.HP.COM>, howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
> So to carry this over to your engine running at 104%, it is running
> harder than at 100%, but it is past its point of peak efficientcy, and
> may do something non-user-friendly, like blow everyone all to Hell.

  I suspect that rocket engines work similar to some airplane reciprocating
engines. (Specifically turbo-charged engines.)
  On certain models of planes there is a maximum continuous power setting
of usually ~30" of manifold pressure.  During certain power critical events
(like takeoff) it is permissible to power up past this point for periods
under 5 minutes.
  BTW the B737 that crashed on the 14th street bridge in Washington D.C. was
not at full power.  In their attempt to get off the ground (and stay off the
ground) the pilots only used maximum take-off power, not FULL power.  There
was some speculation that if they had gone to full power it might have made
a difference.  In their attempt to save wear and tear on the engines, they
totally destroyed the engines (and the rest of the airplane.)

Kevin W. Holroyd			*
CFI Aspen Flying Club			* Got tired of last .signature file
Denver CO.				*

kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (04/28/89)

In article <2859@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, willisa@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mark Willis) writes:
> I always thought that the thrust level was measured at sea-level, so that
> as the orbiter ascended the engines were capable of higher thrust. Or does
> it work the other way round - thrust decreases with altitude? I am aware
> that the engines dont require an atmosphere to "push against", but it
> must have some effect.

At a given altitude, the thrust of a rocket engine is maximized when the
pressure of the exhaust is exactly equal to the ambient air pressure.  This
is achieved by tailoring the configuration of the nozzle to the design
altitude.  If the altitude is lower than the design, or optimum, altitude,
the ambient air pressure is higher than the exhaust, resulting in a net
reduction in thrust.  Shortening the nozzle will balance this condition.
At altitudes greater than the design altitude, the exhaust pressure is
greater than the ambient air pressure, and thrust is correspondingly
less than its theoretical maximum.  Lengthening the nozzle corrects this.

Putting it briefly, you want a short nozzle at low altitudes, where the
air pressure is higher, and a long nozzle at high altitudes.  The design
altitude for a rocket engine is usually a compromise between the two.
(There also are double-geometry engines, which use a nozzle extension.
This extension, at launch, is retracted.  At a given altitude, the extension
is put into place, lengthening the nozzle and increasing the performance
of the rocket.)

[Oates, 'Aerothermodynamics of Rocket and Gas Engines', or something like
that--the reference isn't right in front of me.  Two chapters in the book
deal with rockets--the rest is boring jet engine stuff!]

Norman Kluksdahl              Arizona State University
            ..ncar!noao!asuvax!enuxha!kluksdah

standard disclaimer implied

Useful criticism always appreciated.  Senseless flames always discarded.

larson@unix.SRI.COM (Alan Larson) (04/30/89)

Jeff Boerio wrote:

>My personal opinion, and something that I certainly don't know as fact, would
>be that the engines used were originally expected to operate at a level X,
>or 100%.  But, the production engines actually operate at X+4%, or 104%.
>
>That's what seems a little better to me, but again, I could be absolutely
>wrong.

In article <9130003@hpwrce.HP.COM> howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) write
s:

>You're absolutely wrong, Jeff.   :-)
>
>Seriously, when I read your response I thought you were joking, till I
>saw this last line.
>
>Every engine I have ever seen has had the ability to be pushed beyond its
>limits. It's why they have a red line on the tachometer in your average
>sports car (Camaro, Firebird, etc). I find it hard to believe that the
>folks at NASA have build an engine which only operates at peak efficiency.
>mostly because there is no such thing.

Howard,

  Jeff is right.

  By the way, peak efficiency is not normally the 100% power point
on an engine.  Peak power and peak efficiency are different.

        Alan