[sci.space.shuttle] 104% thrust from SSME

sjeyasin@phoebe.axion.bt.co.uk (swaraj jeyasingh) (04/28/89)

Reading the mail there appears to be several schools of thought on this:

1) it is  100 + x% increase on the design spec or nominal.
Presumably this is due to improvements in the basic design.

2) it represents an operating thrust higher than what would be considered
"peak efficiency" (with implications for saftey etc). Or as someone put it,
"revving past the red line on the rpm counter"

3) To do with the fact that on gets "more thrust the higher one goes"

My bet is with (1): Improvements on the original design requirment,
which presumably was always known about, but only realised with time
and experience. Similar to the way aircraft engines "grow" with time
to give more thrust as engineering improvements are made. Then they are
given a "new" name.  e.g RB211-524 grew to be -535C which then became
535D which grew again to be -535E etc etc.  (Don't qoute me on the exact
marques for these)

So what's the "consensus fidelium" and what is the RIGHT answer - anybody ?

Swaraj Jeyasingh          sjeyasingh@axion.bt.co.uk
BTRL
Ipswich IP5 7RE
UK

labc-4da@web-1e.berkeley.edu (Bob Heiney) (04/30/89)

In article <1460@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> sjeyasin@axion.bt.co.uk writes:

>Reading the mail there appears to be several schools of thought on this:
>
>1) it is  100 + x% increase on the design spec or nominal.
>Presumably this is due to improvements in the basic design.
>
>2) it represents an operating thrust higher than what would be considered
>"peak efficiency" (with implications for saftey etc). Or as someone put it,
>"revving past the red line on the rpm counter"
>
>3) To do with the fact that on gets "more thrust the higher one goes"

I just read something about this, and what I believe is the correct reason
is that the engines are rated to perform to some specification at a particular
thrust.  Thus the percentage is how much of the rated thrust you're using.
Future missions are scheduled to go as high as 109% for heavy payloads
(like the Hubble telescope).

What *is* the rated thrust for the SRBs and the SSMEs?

| Bob Heiney                         "And in the end, the love you            |
| labc-4da@rosebud.Berkeley.edu       take is equal to the love you make."    |
|                                                     -- The Beatles          |

ricko@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Rick O'Brien) (05/01/89)

In article <23778@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> labc-4da@web-1e.berkeley.edu (Bob Heiney) writes:
>In article <1460@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> sjeyasin@axion.bt.co.uk writes:
>>Reading the mail there appears to be several schools of thought on this:

[stuff on various theories on thrust levels deleted]

>What *is* the rated thrust for the SRBs and the SSMEs?

I design sensors that go on the SSMEs so while I am not an expert on the
engines I have a *little* bit of info on what they do.  As I understand it
the 100% thrust level was the level the engines were first certified to.
In order to go to 104% or higher every component has to go through a
qualification program of test firings.  The higher thrust levels are not
strictly speaking the result of a new design (although design can be changed
as a result of the testing) but rather the engine went through testing to
certify that it could operate at 104% of the thrust that it was first
certified to.  I had heard that 109% will probably never but used after
Challenger but 104% is used pretty much on all missions.   I repeat, this
is what I have been told by folks at Rocketdyne in casual conversation,
I do not have access to mission data anymore.

On the performance levels of the SSMEs I have this info:
Type: Liquid Propellant, Pump-Fed, Regeneratively Cooled
Propellants: Liquid Hydrogen/Liquid Oxygen
Dimensions: 168 inches long/96 inches wide
Mixture Ratio (o/f): 6.026:1

Thrust, Pounds       Rated: 100%          104%          109%
  Sea level               375,000       393,000       417,300
  Vacuum                  470,000       488,800       512,300
Pressures,psia
  Hydrogen Pump Discharge   6,140         6,445         7,040
  Oxygen Pump Discharge     7,075         7,380         8,070
  Combustion Pressure       3,006         3,126         3,260

Flowrates,lb/sec(gpm)
 Total             1,040(20,737)    1,081(21,570)  1,133(22,568)
 Hydrogen            148(15,098)      154(15,710)    161(16,424)
 Oxygen              892( 5,639)      927( 5,860)    972( 6,144)

Power, Horsepower (High Pressure Pumps)
 Hydrogen                  63,200        69,100         77,310
 Oxygen                    21,300        23,600         29,430

 rick o'brien