[sci.space.shuttle] Building boosters for Magellan

snidely@inteloa.intel.com (David P. Schneider) (04/29/89)

I had a random thought, brought about by  the  Magellan/Galileo  trajectory
discussions.

The point made in those discussions is that the IUS is too  light  for  any
but  low-cost Hohmann transfer orbits.  The random thought is, why not take
1 or more IUSs up on preceeding flights, park them,  and  then  during  the
space  probe  flight,  and  "stack" them together to make a larger transfer
agent.

There are two configurations of interest.  The first is  the  "staged"  ef-
fect, where the CofGs are along the line of flight, and the units are fired
in sequence.  The second is the "tripod", where 3 (or maybe 4) are used  as
the  "feet" of a common frame, which supports the payload, and all fire to-
gether.

Some one else must have thought of this already, so why don't we do it?  Is
the  improved  Delta-Vee still too small to avoid extremely slow transfers?
Is there too much problem getting IUSs parked?   (I  admit  that  it  would
probably  require  quick  timing  --  both  launches within the same month,
perhaps; could the parking be done by an unmanned booster?) Or is it techn-
ical problems in adapting the IUS?

Finally, what are the technical problems in adapting  the  IUS?   How  soon
could  adapted  units  be available?  Would it be easier/faster to design a
new staged solid fuel transfer agent than to adapt the IUS?

The dream, of course, is being able  to  miss  the  current  alignement  of
planets, but still to arrive at the target at nearly the same date.

Thanks for listening.

                                                  Dave Schneider
                                                   Friday, 4.28

In article <4356@omepd.UUCP> snidely@inteloa.UUCP (David P. Schneider) writes:
>The point made in those discussions is that the IUS is too  light  for  any
>but  low-cost Hohmann transfer orbits.  The random thought is, why not take
>1 or more IUSs up on preceeding flights, park them,  and  then  during  the
>space  probe  flight,  and  "stack" them together to make a larger transfer
>agent.

The official NASA position is that on-orbit assembly is Really Difficult
and hence is unacceptable for mission planning.  If it was allowed, one
wouldn't mess around with IUSes; one would take the payload up on a
shuttle and mate it with something like a Centaur launched by expendable.

So we're back with the chicken-and-egg problem, again.  On-orbit assembly
will remain untried, and hence officially Not To Be Relied On, because
it's officially Not To Be Relied On and hence nobody can use it.
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu