[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Status for 05/01/89

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (05/01/89)

                   KSC SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT - Monday, May 1, 1989

                        STS-30 - ATLANTIS (OV 104) - PAD 39-B

               Work at Launch Pad 39-B has gone exceptionally well in
          readying the Shuttle Atlantis for launch. A four-inch liquid
          hydrogen recirculation line has been replaced and leak checks of
          a seal in the line are underway. Leak checks of the external
          tank-to-orbiter are scheduled and new thermal insulation will be
          applied to the newly installed line tonight. Closeouts are
          scheduled tomorrow.

               One liquid hydrogen recirculation pump was replaced in the
          aft compartment. Leak checks of the new pump are underway and
          electrical checks are planned later today. Closeouts of the pump
          and aft compartment are scheduled for later today and tomorrow.
          Metal particles found inside the old pump could have been the
          cause for the short. The pump circulates liquid hydrogen to the
          main engine number one and conditions it prior to start.

               STS-30 crew members went back to Houston this weekend to
          practice in the shuttle simulator and will return to KSC two days
          prior to launch.

               Because of the component replacements, the launch will not
          take place for several days. A new launch date will not be set
          until today at the earliest. Launch is expected to occur the
          latter part of the week.

                      STS-28 - COLUMBIA - (0V 102) - OPF BAY 1

               The right orbital maneuvering system pod was transferred
          from its maintenance facility to the OPF on Saturday.
          Installation is planned this week. The main engines are also
          scheduled to be installed this week. The left pod is scheduled to
          be transferred to the OPF this weekend. Orbiter systems testing
          and thermal protection system activities are continuing with over
          300 tile cavities remaining.

                     STS-33 - DISCOVERY - (OV 103)  - OPF BAY 2

               Discovery's right orbital maneuvering system pod was taken
          to the maintenance facility for work prior to the orbiter's next
          mission. Orbiter systems testing is scheduled.

                         STS-28 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB

               The left forward assembly was stacked this weekend,
          completing the left booster. Joint closeouts are active. The
          right forward center segment, the third of four solid motors, is
          in the VAB transfer aisle and scheduled to be stacked tomorrow.

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (05/02/89)

In article <24772@ames.arc.nasa.gov> Peter E. Yee passes along:
>                   KSC SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT - Monday, May 1, 1989
>
>                        STS-30 - ATLANTIS (OV 104) - PAD 39-B
>[...]
>          Metal particles found inside the old pump could have been the
>          cause for the short. The pump circulates liquid hydrogen to the
>          main engine number one and conditions it prior to start.

OK, here's the $64k question (god how cheap that sounds compared to
what one of these episodes REALLY costs): how do you get a recirculation
pump full of metal particles into a shuttle orbiter ready to launch on
the pad?  Why does no one find out about it until the bird refuses to fly?
--
Tom Neff				UUCP:     ...!uunet!bfmny0!tneff
    "Truisms aren't everything."	Internet: tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (STEVE ROSEMAN) (05/03/89)

In article <24772@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>                    KSC SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT - Monday, May 1, 1989
>
>                       STS-28 - COLUMBIA - (0V 102) - OPF BAY 1

>           and thermal protection system activities are continuing with over
>           300 tile cavities remaining.

Simple (?) question.  What is a 'tile cavity'.  Is that 300 missing
tiles (I hope not), 300 tiles with damage that need repair, 300 holes
in some lesser number of tiles, etc.?   Assuming that they are holes, is
repair done by 'spackling' the holes with some appropriate compound?
(Buy Red Devil, available at your neighborhood hardware store.)

Thanks,

Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center
LUSGR@VAX1.CC.Lehigh.EDU