[sci.space.shuttle] Where is Challenger?

tneff@well.UUCP (System Operator) (04/19/89)

Here's a question I hope isn't too morbid:  Where have they put
the remains of Challenger?  I imagine there's years worth of
things to study, is there an ongoing program for this or is it
simply mothballed?
--
Tom Neff                  tneff@well.UUCP
                       or tneff@dasys1.UUCP

c8-1eb@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Rachel David) (04/23/89)

As far as I know, the Challenger debris was sealed in a large hole possibly at
KSC.  As I recall, there was some dismay over this decision as some people
believed that NASA was withholding evidence concerning the disaster.

seldon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Seldon) (04/23/89)

In article <11360@well.UUCP> tneff@well.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>Here's a question I hope isn't too morbid:  Where have they put
>the remains of Challenger?  I imagine there's years worth of
>things to study, is there an ongoing program for this or is it
>simply mothballed?
>--
>Tom Neff                  tneff@well.UUCP
>                       or tneff@dasys1.UUCP

  I believe that all the wreckage was sealed up in an old missle silo...
I'm not shure exactly where (out in Wyoming or some other western state
where there are a LOT of missle silos)

 Joe Walker
 U.S. Mail:                       E-Mail:
   Dartmouth College                BITNET:LoneGhost@D1.dartcms1.bitnet
   H.B. 219, Hanover N.H. 03755     UNIX:Seldon@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU

In article <11360@well.UUCP> tneff@well.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>Here's a question I hope isn't too morbid:  Where have they put
>the remains of Challenger?  I imagine there's years worth of
>things to study, is there an ongoing program for this or is it
>simply mothballed?

The remains, aside from the human remains, are in a couple of disused
ICBM silos at the Cape.  This was intended essentially as permanent
burial in a secure location (to foil souvenir hunters); I don't think
there is any intent to dig them out again.  They'd got pretty much all
the information they expected to get.
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) (04/23/89)

In article <13179@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> seldon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Seldon) writes:

>  I believe that all the wreckage was sealed up in an old missle silo...
>I'm not shure exactly where (out in Wyoming or some other western state
>where there are a LOT of missle silos)

I believe the poster who mentioned Kennedy Space Center was correct.  As far
as I know, the wreckage was sealed in a silo that had been used for missile
tests, and this silo is located somewhere on the KSC property.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Matthew DeLuca                      :
Georgia Institute of Technology     : Certainty is the lot of those who

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (04/24/89)

In article <1989Apr23.000034.7797@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>--
>Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Mars in 1960's:   USA --> Mariner 4
Mars in 1970's:   USA --> Viking I, Viking II

Jupiter and beyond except Pluto in the 1970's & '80's:

                  USA --> Pioneers and Voyagers and now Galileo
                          not to mention Magellan shortly on the way
                          to Venus.

Peter Jarvis..........

csvon@mtsu.UUCP (Von Hall) (04/25/89)

So does that mean that the remains are destroyed or not?  I guess what I
really what to know is....Could futher studies be done on the stowed
wreckage?

						Von Hall
					Computer Science MTSU
					Murfreesboro, Tn. 37132

mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) (04/25/89)

In article <1989Apr23.000034.7797@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

> Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> 2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.ed

Has anyone heard any info. lately about the University
of Tornoto Zoology Dept. probe to Mars?  Perhaps they are waiting for an
open slot on an Energia launch!

cjl@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles J. Lord) (04/25/89)

You are all somewhat right.  The debris was put in an old test ICBM
silo at Cape Canaveral AFB and sealed with several feet of concrete.
There are reams of documentation on every bit of what was put down
there, so "coverup" rumors are rediculous.

--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *

In article <256@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) writes:
>> Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>> 2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.ed
>
>Has anyone heard any info. lately about the University
>of Tornoto Zoology Dept. probe to Mars?  Perhaps they are waiting for an
>open slot on an Energia launch!

Couldn't say about the University of Tornoto; never heard of them. :-)
The Zoology department *here* isn't going to launch any Mars probes until
somebody (i.e. the Soviets) finds life there.
--

In article <2555@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
>Mars in 1960's:   USA --> Mariner 4
>Mars in 1970's:   USA --> Viking I, Viking II

You forgot Mariners 6, 7, and 9, the last of which was particularly important.
Ancient history, all of them.

>Jupiter and beyond except Pluto in the 1970's & '80's:
>
>                  USA --> Pioneers and Voyagers and now Galileo

All launched in the 1970s except Galileo, which isn't flying (much less at
its destination) yet, and has already narrowly escaped catastrophic in-flight
failure twice.  All it has to do is slip a few months and it's 1990s.

>                          not to mention Magellan shortly on the way
>                          to Venus.

Same comment about slippage, although it doesn't look likely this time.
Also same comment about not counting birds before they fly.
--

zcnj01@gpb6.uucp (Cecil N. Jones) (04/28/89)

In article <6872@ecsvax.UUCP> cjl@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles J. Lord) writes:

> The debris was put in an old test ICBM silo at Cape Canaveral
> AFB and sealed with several feet of concrete. There are reams
> of documentation on every bit of what was put down there, ....
>
> *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *

Along these lines, and sorry if everybody else knows this already,
but where can you get copies of whatever reports were written on
the Challenger disaster, are there photographs of the wreckage,
how much of it was actually recovered, etc.

Any references will be appreciated.

Thanks,

  Cecil N. Jones    Amoco Production Co.  Tulsa, OK
  @apctrc.uucp
  The opinions expressed are solely my own.

mrb1@homxc.ATT.COM (M.BAKER) (04/30/89)

In article <1989Apr26.232023.2988@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <256@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) writes:
> >> Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> >> 2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.ed
> >
> >Has anyone heard any info. lately about the University
> >of Tornoto Zoology Dept. probe to Mars?  Perhaps they are waiting for an
> >open slot on an Energia launch!
>
> Couldn't say about the University of Tornoto; never heard of them. :-)
> The Zoology department *here* isn't going to launch any Mars probes until
> somebody (i.e. the Soviets) finds life there.
> --
> Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> 2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Thank you, Henry.  I appreciate the :-) !  I felt that a smiley
was implied in my message.  However, I did receive the following
email [sender's identity removed to protect his/her privacy]:

--------------email message follows--------------

If you are going to read only signatures and not actual articles, could
you possibly POST only signatures and not actual articles?  Henry makes
an excellent point, that the US space program has rested on its laurels
while the rest of the world (the Soviet Union, ESA, China, Japan, India,
and soon even Australia) has not.  Trumpeting about how we HAD the best
space program in the world is useless.

And before you think to accuse him of being anti-American, he HAS said a
number of good things about the American space program (in those articles
whose bodies you evidently don't bother to read); in particular, you
might grep through /usr/spool/news/sci/space for his recent discussion of
Pegasus.  But it is an absolutely undeniable fact that it has been 11 years
since we last launched ANY interplanetary probe, and there is NO excuse
for that.  As Henry would be the first to state, the US could and SHOULD
have a premier space program -- it has chosen not to.  Too many people just
haven't chosen to admit that.

If it really annoys you that Henry claims that the US hasn't sent anything
to Mars in the 1980's, instead of flaming Henry on the net, call up your
Congressasshole and demand to know what ITS excuse is for this sorry state.

I'm sorry that the tone of this message is probably more obnoxious than is
warranted, but I am tired of seeing these ill-thought-out complaints about
Henry's signature.

-----------------my posting continues--------------

for the record:

	1.) I do read the articles....have been reading them since 1986.
	2.) When the signature expands beyond name/address type of
		info., it becomes part of the article.  No problem
		there.  It's very distinctive.
	3.) Why can't we trumpet about how we had the best space
		program?  How does it hurt anyone?  I'm not promoting
		complacency, mind you, but there is a lot to be proud
		of (admittedly from a bygone era).
	4.) "Congressasshole"?  Sounds like you are the anti-American.
	5.) "ITS excuse"?  For all its faults, and there are many,
		our system of government does pretty well.  Unless
		you were referring to my Congressman.  That kind of
		slur doesn't even deserve a response.
	6.) I sometimes get tired of the NASA-bashing, too ---
		but free and open debate is healthy.  Especially in
		a light-hearted form like Henry's signature and my
		response.

M. Baker
homxc!mrb1

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (05/01/89)

In article <1989Apr26.232428.3073@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>You forgot Mariners 6, 7, and 9, the last of which was particularly important.
>Ancient history, all of them.
>
>All launched in the 1970s except Galileo, which isn't flying (much less at

Ancient history? The pictures the Mariners took 25 years ago are just as
valuable now as then. Has Mars changed much in the last 25 years, or in
the case of the highly successful Viking probes, 13 years? I doubt it.
What kind of probe do *you* think we should have sent to Mars in the 1980's?
And what would it have gained us? We have already mapped  a good portion of
the Mars surface in preparation for future landings. We have analyzed some
of its soil and atmosphere. We concentrated on the Shuttle program in the
1980's. I suspect we will be going back to Mars again in one form or the
other in the 1990's. It's pretty obvious the USA has a remarkable success
story going on the exploration of the solar system including a Neptune
fly-by this August! As far as I'm concerned, the glass is 3/4 full, *not*
1/2 empty!

Peter Jarvis...........

sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (05/02/89)

In article <256@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) writes:
}Has anyone heard any info. lately about the University
}of Tornoto Zoology Dept. probe to Mars?  Perhaps they are waiting for an
    ^^^^^^^
Is that a new car from Ford?

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (05/03/89)

In article <6494@homxc.ATT.COM>, mrb1@homxc.ATT.COM (M.BAKER) writes:
> Thank you, Henry.  I appreciate the :-) !  I felt that a smiley
> was implied in my message.  However, I did receive the following
> email [sender's identity removed to protect his/her privacy]:
> --------------email message [which I've deleted] follows--------------
What the heck, I'll 'fess up; it's mine.

Back to M.BAKER:
> 	3.) Why can't we trumpet about how we had the best space
> 		program?  How does it hurt anyone?  I'm not promoting
> 		complacency, mind you, but there is a lot to be proud
> 		of (admittedly from a bygone era).
Too many people use that trumpeting as a replacement for rational argument
arguing that "had" is equivalent to "has".  As one who would like a real,
live space program, this annoys the hell out  of me -- I'd like some
FRESH accomplishments to be proud of, too.  Remember, Portugal used to be
a major world power -- where are they now?  ("Just west of Spain." "QUIET!")
(And a question:  how can one be proud of something that one does not care
enough about to maintain?  What sort of "pride" is that?)

> 	4.) "Congressasshole"?  Sounds like you are the anti-American.

In how many countries do you see bumper stickers that read "Love your
country, but never trust its government?"  A profound disbelief that the
government will automatically do the right thing seems a distinctively
(though not uniquely) American touch.

> 	5.) "ITS excuse"?  For all its faults, and there are many,
> 		our system of government does pretty well.  Unless
> 		you were referring to my Congressman.  That kind of
> 		slur doesn't even deserve a response.

("IT" was a gender-neutral, animism-free pronoun, just in case one of your
Representatives happens to be a lump of Silly Putty.)
Congress does, or does not, vote money for the space program.  Generally,
"does not" has been the rule.  SPACEPAC publishes something called "The
Space Activist's Handbook" which lists Congresscritters' voting records.
Or you can write your Congressmen and ask for their voting records; you
might also ask for a list of upcoming bills having to do with space and NASA
and how they plan to vote on them.  Try to raise their conciousness (if any).

Well, as I said:

> I'm sorry that the tone of this message is probably more obnoxious than is
> warranted, but I am tired of seeing these ill-thought-out complaints about
> Henry's signature.

And since you intended your response to be light-hearted, I guess I owe you
an apology.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

In article <2562@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
>>You forgot Mariners 6, 7, and 9, the last of which was particularly important.
>>Ancient history, all of them.
>>
>Ancient history? The pictures the Mariners took 25 years ago are just as
>valuable now as then. Has Mars changed much in the last 25 years, or in
>the case of the highly successful Viking probes, 13 years? I doubt it.

Do you *know*?  I don't.  The surface of Mars does change, in small ways
at least.

>What kind of probe do *you* think we should have sent to Mars in the 1980's?

For starters, we should have followed through on the proposal to fit Viking
3 (now in the Smithsonian) with caterpillar treads rather than footpads and
land it near the north polar cap.

>And what would it have gained us? We have already mapped  a good portion of
>the Mars surface in preparation for future landings.

We have not mapped it with accuracy sufficient for precision landings or
even precision aerobraking, however.  We can measure where the probes are
*relative to Earth* within meters, but we don't know where Mars is, or
where specific Martian features are, to closer than several kilometers.
Atmospheric entry magnifies errors considerably.

>We have analyzed some of its soil and atmosphere.

In two places chosen to be as boring and predictable as possible, in the
middle of desert plains.  What is the edge of the polar cap like?  (There
is liquid water there, probably, in spring.)  There is at least one area
on Mars (Solis Lacus?  don't remember) which radar measurements show to
have slight surface water at times; what is it like?  We don't even know
*for sure* whether there is life on Mars or not; all we can say with any
assurance is that there probably is no life at the Viking landing sites
and there probably wasn't any there recently.

>... I suspect we will be going back to Mars again in one form or the
>other in the 1990's.

Mars Observer looks pretty solid for 1992 (originally 1990, and before
that it was 1988 for a little while), but there are no follow-on plans
that have been approved.  And M.O., while valuable, is hardly what one
would call an ambitious mission.

>It's pretty obvious the USA has a remarkable success
>story going on the exploration of the solar system including a Neptune
>fly-by this August! ...

The story is not "going on", it is rapidly drawing to a close (or nearly
so).  The Voyagers were launched in the 70s; we are very lucky that they
have survived this long.  (The Apollo seismometer network on the Moon
didn't last that long -- it was shut down, while still working perfectly,
because there wasn't money to keep on receiving the data.  There was at
least one proposal to do the same to the Voyagers.)  Galileo and Magellan,
for all their timeliness now, were conceived in the 70s and have simply
had extremely protracted gestation periods.  Where are the follow-ons?
The US currently has *no* plans for Venus after Magellan, and *no* plans
for Jupiter after Galileo.  Mars Observer is a much more modest bird, and
it may be the first and last of the intended series of such birds, at
this rate.
--

mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) (05/05/89)

In article <1358@frog.UUCP>, john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:

>   .....summary of previous discussion.....
>
> And since you intended your response to be light-hearted, I guess I owe you
> an apology.
> --

Apology accepted, and mine tendered for mindlessly posting an e-mail message
onto the net.  Won't happen again.......now back to the Atlantis flight, and
Magellan, and other neat sci.space.shuttle stuff.

M. Baker
homxc!mrb1

jmsc@inesc.UUCP (Miguel Casteleiro) (05/07/89)

In article <1358@frog.UUCP>, john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
   [ stuff deleted about a futil discussion ]
>                                             Remember, Portugal used to be
> a major world power -- where are they now?  ("Just west of Spain." "QUIET!")
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                           ^^^^^^
   We're here, alive and kicking... (and making a lot of noise by the way) !!!

> (And a question:  how can one be proud of something that one does not care
> enough about to maintain?  What sort of "pride" is that?)

   You're absolutely wrong about this, one can care a lot about something, but
one can not have the means to maintain it.

   You have the best space program around here, so what are you babbling about?
   And even more important than that, you (USA) have the means to maintain and
expand it. So, keep doing the good job and the whole world will appreciate it.
--
                                                                      __
 Miguel Casteleiro at                                            __  ///