[sci.space.shuttle] "Commonplace"

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (05/05/89)

During todays launch of the Atlantis, an interesting comment was made
during the "commentary" of the launch.

During the coverage of the launch by one network, it was noted that
they had passed the fateful "Go at throttle up" point, and that NASA
was being very cautious in its launches.  The comment was that what
essentially caused the Challenger accident was a feeling within NASA
that shuttle launches, and therefore space flight, had become
"commonplace".

Without even wanting to discuss that particular comment, it's my
opinion that if anyone considered shuttle launches as "commonplace",
it would be media itself, not NASA.

By the time the Challenger was launched, the media had effectively
discontinued coverage of the events.  National news networks no longer
routinely interrupted regular broadcasting to report on the launch.
Those that did, reduced it to the 5 or so minutes of actual "drama".
Some networks didn't cover it at all.  Cable news services were
better.

Regular news broadcasts noted the launches usually 5 or more minutes
into the broadcast.  Though they usually showed video of the launch,
this wasn't always the case.

Newspapers, local and national, stopped placing the launch news on
front pages.  It began to get buried deeper into the papers.

All news media formats reduced or stopped coverage completely of the
actual mission and mission status.

Local cable services may or may not have carried NASA Select during
the events.  Some of those that did in the past, reduced the carriage
to portions of the day, and not necessarily for the entire mission.

Coverage of the landings didn't diminish as much as the launches, but
they did diminish.  They weren't covered as well to begin with.

By the time of the Challenger accident, many people didn't realize
that some shuttles had recently launched.  Many people didn't realize
the Challenger was launching until they tuned in and saw the extended
national coverage of the accident.  If the accident never happened,
they may have never known of the launch.

It is my opinion that even if NASA did fall into a feeling that space
flight had become commonplace, it is the media who instilled that
opinion into the general public.  A large percentage of the public
will get their only information from the media, and will react to it
as the media presents.  If the media presents it as "not a big deal",
it will be responded to in that way.

Did NASA become complacent?  Some say yes.  But whether or not they
did, it's hard to conceive that the media can come out of those events
completely clean either, and comments such as todays, squarely placing
blame on NASA, could be perceived as hypocritical on the part of the
media.

And that's our commentary babble for tonite.  :-)

--
________Robert J. Granvin________   INTERNET: rjg@sialis.mn.org
____National Computer Systems____   CONFUSED: rjg%sialis.mn.org@shamash.cdc.com

labc-4da@web-2f.berkeley.edu (Bob Heiney) (05/06/89)

Here's my two cents about shuttle media coverage:  it's awful!

FLAME ON

For yesterday's launch of Atlantis, ABC only covered the last 2 and a
half minutes of the countdown.  Yes, I know Ollie North's verdict came
down at about the same time, but they weren't saying anything relevant
about it.

All we ever see after the initial live coverage is "5 4 3 2 1 liftoff..."
voice-over "The space shuttle ___ lifted off today after numerous delays..."

Since the Challenger disaster we now get:

1)  A more detailed crew bio right before lift-off, including their ages
2)  To hold our breath along with Peter Jennings at T+73 secs
3)  To sigh with relief when the boosters drop away

This drives me *crazy*.

But the thing the annoys me the most is how they constantly talk over
mission control.  I don't have access to NASA select, and would love
to just listen to all the countdown and ascent audio, but I can never
hear it because some network anchor is always blabbing on about some
meaningless point.

I also think this whole idea of "a return to the Golden Age of space
exploration" is total BS.  As someone recently pointed out in this
newsgroup, space exploration is almost dead in the U.S.

FLAME OFF

Space flight and exploration are not commonplace (yet), and shouldn't be
viewed as such.  The media should take the time to educate their anchors
and reporters about the shuttle.  Perhaps expecting to hear Mission Control,
which isn't very understandable to many, is foolish; I still want to.
Mostly, I'd just like the truth told.  Magellan is a mapper, not an atmosphere
probe like one of the anchors mentioned.  The ET is *not* a motor, it's a tank,
Mr. Jennings.

| Bob Heiney                         "And in the end, the love you            |
| labc-4da@rosebud.Berkeley.edu       take is equal to the love you make."    |
|                                                     -- The Beatles          |

jeffg@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jeffrey D. Goldader) (05/06/89)

In article <24071@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, labc-4da@web-2f.berkeley.edu (Bob Heiney) writes:
> Here's my two cents about shuttle media coverage:  it's awful!
>
> ....  I don't have access to NASA select, and would love
> to just listen to all the countdown and ascent audio, but I can never
> hear it because some network anchor is always blabbing on about some
> meaningless point.
>
>.,...  The ET is *not* a motor, it's a tank,
> Mr. Jennings.

> | Bob Heiney                         "And in the end, the love you            |
> | labc-4da@rosebud.Berkeley.edu       take is equal to the love you make."    |
> |                                                     -- The Beatles          |
Yeah, I agree.  Dan Rather talked about the separation of the solid fuel
*tanks*.  (Did he also talk about the liquid fuel booster, too, or
did I see Jennings while trying desperately to find CAPCOM audio?)
Maybe if we used recombinant DNA technology on them, we could produce
an anchor who knew what he was talking about?  Nah...  ;-)

Oh- I noticed that CNN, especially during the scrubbed launch attempt,
had their commentators shut up during the last 2 or 3 minutes or so.  Very
nice.  Even one of the free-TV networks had a quiet anchor.  I would
so much rather listen to Launch Control than some anchor who knows
nothing about the shuttle try to talk intelligently about the shuttle.

-Jeff Goldader
Univ. of Washington Depts. of Astronomy and Physics
jeffg@blake.acs.washington.edu
jeffg@uw-beaver!blake.UUCP

DISCLAIMER:  The University of Washington is not responsible for the
content of the above message.  They don't want my opinions, anyway.

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (05/06/89)

In article <1908@blake.acs.washington.edu> jeffg@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jeffrey D. Goldader) writes:
> ... I would
>so much rather listen to Launch Control than some anchor who knows
>nothing about the shuttle try to talk intelligently about the shuttle.

I agree with most of this sentiment but has anyone noticed what a
BLABBERMOUTH Launch Control has become lately?!!  Maybe I'm gilding
the lily here, but I (in turn) would rather listen to the *loop* during
countdown than to Hugh Harris droning awwn and awwwn and awwwwn about
every "Commonplace" thing that happens every launch ("and we're now at
T minus X minutes X seconds and counting, and at X minutes Y seconds the
shuttle's such and such will begin an automatic purge program, T minus
X minutes Y seconds and counting...") while we struggle to hear whatever
the RSO or Flight Director just said! For those who know the subject
matter there's REAL drama going on behind the PR man's patter. (At
least he's accurate, the newsclowns' fumblings are of course far
worse.)

I haven't had NASASELECT for years, does its audio carry Hugh H. or just
the loop?
--
Tom Neff				UUCP:     ...!uunet!bfmny0!tneff
    "Truisms aren't everything."	Internet: tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

bm21+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bret Jonathon Musser) (05/07/89)

Are there any radio stations that broadcast what mission control is
saying???  If so, during the next launch, I can keep my TV volume
wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyy down and my radio wwwwaaaaayyyy up and be a
happy puppy.  :-)

Yeah, I too think its really ridiculous (?sp) (silly) how much
noise pollution there is blocking out the Real (Wo)Men at Nasa (as opposed
to the PR people).  And the graphics that are displayed are pretty
silly too (like on NBC, CBS, etc.  No cable tv here).  Why can't they just
talk about the mission?  The Magellan probe was virtually unmentioned in
the broadcast I watched. Sigh.

BJM

Bret J. Musser  -- Carnegie-Mellon University | "The more perfect civilization
bm21%andrew@cmccvb  (bitnet)                  |  is, the less occasion has it
bm21@andrew.cmu.edu (arpanet)                 |  for government..."
Undergraduate -- Applied Math                 |  --Thomas Paine, Rights of Man

zweig@m.cs.uiuc.edu (05/07/89)

  By the way, C-SPAN has much better coverage of shuttle launches than ABC
for the most part. I bet it has a weensy bit to do with the number of beer
commercials that aren't run during the countdown... (Wink!)

-Johnny Zweig
Department of Computer Science
--------------------------------Disclaimer:------------------------------------
   Rule 1: Don't believe everything you read.
   Rule 2: Don't believe anything you read.
   Rule 3: There is no Rule 3.

odlin@reed.UUCP (Iain Odlin) (05/07/89)

writes:
>But the thing the annoys me the most is how they constantly talk over
>mission control.

  Try watching on Canadian stations.

  Blissful, blessed silence from the "commentators."

--
----------------------------------Iain Odlin----------------------------------
                  Box 1014, Reed College, Portland OR, 97202

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/08/89)

In article <14308@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>I agree with most of this sentiment but has anyone noticed what a
>BLABBERMOUTH Launch Control has become lately?!!

He does tend to run on a bit, and he makes silly mistakes (like
"stirring the vehicle").

>I haven't had NASASELECT for years, does its audio carry Hugh H. or just
>the loop?

It's the exact same feed that the networks use.  It has the "voice" of
Launch Control (Hugh Harris, usually) and the mission control public
affairs person talking over the loops.

Personally, I'd like to hear more than just the air/ground loop.  I want
to hear the flight director loop!

The problem is that they are very brief and cryptic, using acronyms and
such to make communication succint.  I couldn't figure out what the call
"R1U failed off, no action" right after MECO was about.  I knew that it
was a failure, and that the crew didn't have to take any action about it,
but I didn't know what failed.  Only after asking a flight controller did
I learn that "R1U" is one of the RCS jets on the Right side, manifold 1,
pointing Up.  Sigh.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) (05/08/89)

In article <24071@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> labc-4da@web-2f.berkeley.edu (Bob Heiney) writes:

>But the thing the annoys me the most is how they constantly talk over
>mission control.  I don't have access to NASA select, and would love
>to just listen to all the countdown and ascent audio, but I can never
>hear it because some network anchor is always blabbing on about some
>meaningless point.

Perhaps we should start a movement drowning the networks with mail asking
them to stop talking over mission control.  Or (this is getting a little
sophisticated) we could ask them to rotate anchors between launches so
those who have never seen a launch (do these people actually exist?) get
to hear the anchor on just one of the major networks.
--
John H. Kim                 | (This space to be filled when I
jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU | think of something very clever

kanefsky@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Steve Kanefsky) (05/08/89)

In article <1194@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jokim@jarthur.UUCP (John H. Kim) writes:

>Perhaps we should start a movement drowning the networks with mail asking
>them to stop talking over mission control.  Or (this is getting a little
>sophisticated) we could ask them to rotate anchors between launches so
>those who have never seen a launch (do these people actually exist?) get
>to hear the anchor on just one of the major networks.

Better yet, why can't the networks use the second audio program
(SAP) part of MTS, so that anyone with a stereo TV can choose to
hear the anchor or just the straight feed?

Steve Kanefsky
CSci Dept. University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota

kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

paulf@Jessica.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) (05/09/89)

In article <22000017@m.cs.uiuc.edu> zweig@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>  By the way, C-SPAN has much better coverage of shuttle launches than ABC
>for the most part. I bet it has a weensy bit to do with the number of beer
>commercials that aren't run during the countdown... (Wink!)

Huh?  The CSPAN coverage of the PANAMSAT / AMSAT OSCAR 13 launch was terrible!
Commentary came from one of CSPAN's political correspondents, and two newspaper
financial reporters.  Not quite as bad as Dan "I'd Rather Not" Rather, but
that's hardly a compliment...

-=Paul Flaherty, N9FZX      | "Research Scientists need Porsches, too!"
->paulf@shasta.Stanford.EDU |			-- Bloom County

snidely@inteloa.intel.com (David P. Schneider) (05/09/89)

In article <24071@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> labc-4da@web-2f.berkeley.edu (Bob Heiney) writes:

>For yesterday's launch of Atlantis, ABC only covered the last 2 and a
>half minutes of the countdown.  Yes, I know Ollie North's verdict came
>down at about the same time, but they weren't saying anything relevant
>about it.

NBC did better, coming in at about 5 minutes (I think).   In  fact,  that's
how  I discovered that they'd (NASA) had decided it was OK to shoot.  I was
also monitoring CNN, Headline News, and both CSPANs.  I don't know if  they
ever caught on.

>But the thing the annoys me the most is how they constantly talk over
>mission control.  I don't have access to NASA select, and would love
>to just listen to all the countdown and ascent audio, but I can never
>hear it because some network anchor is always blabbing on about some
>meaningless point.

CSPAN has been kind enough to give about an hour of NASA select on  one  or
the  other  channel.   I watched this, and taped it, for the first attempt.
But appearently, the editors were tripped up by the uncertainty of Thursday
count.   I  know I was suprised at how suddenly the count resumed, as there
was concern that the improvement in the cloud cover was coming at  the  ex-
pense  of crosswinds.  But since the window was rapidly coming to an end, I
guess the launch team had to be ready for a quick decision.

> Mostly, I'd just like the truth told.
> Magellan is a mapper, not an atmosphere
> probe like one of the anchors mentioned.
> The ET is *not* a motor, it's a tank,
> Mr. Jennings.

Maybe they should take their Macs  and  Hypercards  out  of  the  "Election
Night" studio, and set them up for launch.  I know I couldn't speak ex tem-
pore on the shuttle, follow Good Scout Ollie, riots in  Beijing,  elections
in Panama, continuing cleanup in Alaska (with celebrity visits), drought in
the midwest, ..., and sound cogent.  I have a  hard  enough  time  sounding
cogent on Usenet!

                                                David P. Schneider
                                                     BiiN (tm)
                                                    Monday, 5.8

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) (05/09/89)

In article <4391@omepd.UUCP> snidely@inteloa.UUCP (David P. Schneider) writes:
>In article <24071@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> labc-4da@web-2f.berkeley.edu (Bob Heiney) writes:
>
>>For yesterday's launch of Atlantis, ABC only covered the last 2 and a
>>half minutes of the countdown.  Yes, I know Ollie North's verdict came
>>down at about the same time, but they weren't saying anything relevant
>>about it.
>
>NBC did better, coming in at about 5 minutes (I think).   In  fact,  that's

CBS also came in at 5 minutes.  Considering NASA had held the clock
at 5 minutes, I don't see why any of the networks would have bothered
to cover before 5min.  CBS also broke away at about 3min to cover Ollie
but got back in time for the launch.  CBS was also nice enough to show
lots of pretty pictures of the shuttle on the pad when NASA was running
the clock from 9min to 5min.