[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Status for 05/08/89

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (05/08/89)

            KSC SPACE SHUTTLE PROCESSING REPORT FOR - MONDAY, MAY 8, 1989

                     STS-28  -  COLUMBIA (OV 102)  -  OPF BAY 1

               Last week, Columbia's three main engines were installed and
          are scheduled to undergo testing this week. The right orbital
          maneuvering system (OMS) pod has also been installed. Technicians
          are scheduled to install the left OMS pod overnight. Interface
          testing of the OMS pods is scheduled this week.

               The orbiter's potty has been installed and functional checks
          are planned this week. The radiators are scheduled to be cleaned
          and stowed for flight in the next few days.

               Tile technicians are continuing to bond tiles and thermal
          blankets. This morning 243 cavities were reported.

               Columbia is scheduled to remain in bay 1 until late June
          when it will be transferred to the VAB for mating with its
          external tank and solid rocket boosters.

                     STS-33  -  DISCOVERY (OV 103)  -  OPF BAY 2

               Technicians are preparing Discovery for its roll to the OMRF
          on Thursday. The Ku-band antenna will be stowed and the payload
          bay doors will be closed in the next few days. Discovery is being
          transferred to the OMRF to make room for Atlantis when it returns
          to KSC this coming weekend.

                     STS-30 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS  -  HANGAR AF

               The solid rocket boosters were towed from their impact area
          offshore and arrived at Hangar AF by 6 p.m. Friday night. Today,
          hydrolasing activities are underway to strip off the closeout
          material on the boosters. The boosters will be disassembled and
          shipped back to Morton Thiokol for refurbishment.

                                 STS-28 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB

               The right forward center segment was mated early Sunday
          morning. This week, the right forward segment and right forward
          assembly are scheduled to be stacked completing the stacking
          operations for this set. Joint closeouts are active.

                         STS-34 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - RPSF

               Technicians are building up the right and left aft boosters
          in the Rotation Processing and Surge Facility.

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (05/10/89)

From article <25118@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, by yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee):

>                The orbiter's potty has been installed and functional checks
>           are planned this week.

Errrrr.  I suppose that means a whole load of engineers eating beans, curry
and rhubarb. :-)
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (France) (05/11/89)

In article <605@kl-cs.UUCP>, jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
> From article <25118@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, by yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee):
> >
> >                The orbiter's potty has been installed and functional checks
> >           are planned this week.
>
> Errrrr.  I suppose that means a whole load of engineers eating beans, curry
> and rhubarb. :-)
> --
Um.  Someone care to tell me how they plan to test an O Gee Whiz in a 1-gee
field?

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Matthew DeLuca                      :
Georgia Institute of Technology     :          [This space for rent]

In article <605@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>>                The orbiter's potty has been installed and functional checks
>>           are planned this week.
>
>Errrrr.  I suppose that means a whole load of engineers eating beans, curry
>and rhubarb. :-)

Don't laugh; you do realize, I trust, that the thing had to be tested in
free fall before being flown for the first time, and that meant doing it
in the KC-135, with only about 30 seconds of free fall available?  This
was actually the second time this issue came up, since the Skylab toilet
had the same problem.  Turns out that there are people with the slightly
unusual, um, ability required...
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu