[sci.space.shuttle] Good Landing Viewing

lab@fibercom.UUCP (Lance Beckner) (05/12/89)

In article <3240@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre)
writes:
>In article <779@ivucsb.UUCP> todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
>>I went all the way out to Edwards, and had a lot of fun waiting for
>>and watching the shuttle land.  However, I was disappointed that the
>>crowd does not get to be closer to the actual landing site.  We could
>>barely see it when it landed, although the view when it flew over us
>>was fantastic!

>I suspect that they had you positioned for a landing on runway 17 (that's
>certainly where the convoy was poised).  The switch to 22 was made within
>20 (15, even?) minutes of landing.  Really unfortunate for those that made

I believe the viewing area is the same regardless of which runway the shuttle
is landing on (at least it was when I was stationed at Edwards).  You do get
a *MUCH* better view of it when it lands on 17.  Don't give up, it's worth
the wait!
--
Lance A. Beckner                   INTERNET: lab@fibercom.com
FiberCom, Inc.                     UUCP: ...!uunet!fibercom!lab