[sci.space.shuttle] Re^2: Where is Challenger?

cpc@camcon.co.uk (Chris Cracknell) (05/15/89)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>In article <2562@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
>>>You forgot Mariners 6, 7, and 9, the last of which was particularly important.
>>Ancient history? The pictures the Mariners took 25 years ago are just as
>>valuable now as then. Has Mars changed much in the last 25 years, or in
>>the case of the highly successful Viking probes, 13 years? I doubt it.

>Do you *know*?  I don't.  The surface of Mars does change, in small ways
>at least.

Quite apart from anything else, a further probe would tell us exactly how
fast Mars does change.   The value of continuous surveillance was well
demonstrated during WWII when aerial photographs showing harbours full
of ships before the invasion of Crete were ingnored since the regular usage of these harbours was unknown.

just my idle and unpaid musings...

Chris Cracknell