[sci.space.shuttle] NASA Select Television

iiit-sh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (05/19/89)

In article <25481@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>     The event will be broadcast live on NASA Select television,
>Satcom F2R, transponder 13, 72 degrees W. longitude.

Lots of interesting things seem to get broadcast by this satellite. If it was
possible, I'd like to be able to watch it. My calculations tell me that it's
4 degrees above the horizon (!) here in West Wales (52:37N, 4:06W).

I suspect that it's too far down to be usable, and anyway, the transmitter
will presumably have directional antennae aimed at Northern America. Is this
true, or do I have any chance?

(Obviously, I need a 525 NTSC TV and correct frequency converters.. lets assume
that that's no problem)

For that matter, is similar NASA coverage available on any sats furthur east?
Presumably CNN covers launches and such like - I *know* that's available over
here (in 625 PAL too - it's trancoded for use in Embassies, Forces bases etc).

BBC's coverage of the Magellan mission launch lasted 20 seconds.
Channel 4 managed a whole minute.
I don't think they bothered with the mission itself or the landing.
Lousy isn't it?

Steve

-----------------------------------------------+------------------------------
Steve Hosgood BSc,                             | Phone (+44) 792 295213
Image Processing and Systems Engineer,         | Fax (+44) 792 295532
Institute for Industrial Information Techology,| Telex 48149
Innovation Centre, University of Wales, +------+ JANET: iiit-sh@uk.ac.swan.pyr
Swansea SA2 8PP                         | UUCP: ..!ukc!cybaswan.UUCP!iiit-sh
----------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
            My views are not necessarily those of my employers!

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (05/24/89)

From article <447@cybaswan.UUCP>, by iiit-sh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood):
> BBC's coverage of the Magellan mission launch lasted 20 seconds.
> Channel 4 managed a whole minute.
> I don't think they bothered with the mission itself or the landing.
> Lousy isn't it?

Agreed. I don't think they even *mentioned* the successful landing of
the Shuttle, let alone show pictures of it. I don't  remember even
seeing any mention of it in the press. I had to rely on the good old Net
for my information....

I suppose Voyager at Neptune will only get a few minutes too.

Meantime, the number of moronic "soaps" and stupid panel games shown by
Brit TV continues to increase....  :-(

Pessimistic? Me??
--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, ENGLAND
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

bob@etive.ed.ac.uk (Bob Gray) (05/31/89)

In article <1023@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
>Agreed. I don't think they even *mentioned* the successful landing of
>the Shuttle, let alone show pictures of it. I don't  remember even
>seeing any mention of it in the press. I had to rely on the good old Net

C4 news had a fifteen second clip of the landing.

It isn't news to newspapers any more.

>I suppose Voyager at Neptune will only get a few minutes too.

There is to be a "Sky at night" about this when it gets there.
They have already shown some of the early images returned.
	Bob.