[sci.space.shuttle] Atlantis is home!

belle@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Steve Belle) (05/09/89)

Just watched the orbiter Atlantis touch down.  Runway 22 was
used again (this is the only concrete runway at Edwards).  The decision of
which runway to use was delayed until the last moment because of cross winds.
Scattered clouds in the area made visual sighting of the orbiter difficult
until about a minute after the double sonic boom.  Another perfect landing!

todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (05/09/89)

In article <272@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> belle@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Steve Belle) writes:
~Just watched the orbiter Atlantis touch down.  Runway 22 was
~used again (this is the only concrete runway at Edwards).

I went all the way out to Edwards, and had a lot of fun waiting for
and watching the shuttle land.  However, I was disappointed that the
crowd does not get to be closer to the actual landing site.  We could
barely see it when it landed, although the view when it flew over us
was fantastic!

BTW, for those of you going to future launches, look for Avenue E
and 140th street.  The signs blew over and we had a hard time finding
the viewing site.

--
-Todd Day-

ivucsb!todd@anise.acc.com

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/09/89)

In article <779@ivucsb.UUCP> todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
>I went all the way out to Edwards, and had a lot of fun waiting for
>and watching the shuttle land.  However, I was disappointed that the
>crowd does not get to be closer to the actual landing site.  We could
>barely see it when it landed, although the view when it flew over us
>was fantastic!

I suspect that they had you positioned for a landing on runway 17 (that's
certainly where the convoy was poised).  The switch to 22 was made within
20 (15, even?) minutes of landing.  Really unfortunate for those that made
the trip.  Take solace in the fact that the camera views that NASA Select
provided weren't very good either...."There it is, coming down.  It's
almost ready to touch the pavement.  Whoops, there's a building in the
way.  Oh I see it rolling again.  Oh, now it just went behind that
hanger,...", etc.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (05/10/89)

In article <3240@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
~I suspect that they had you positioned for a landing on runway 17 (that's
~certainly where the convoy was poised).  The switch to 22 was made within
~20 (15, even?) minutes of landing.

I'm kinda curious about what runways are what, so I'm going to draw a
crude map:

		+-----+			|	|		+-----+
		|     |			|	|		|     |
		+-----+			|	|		+-----+
					|  22	|
	various buildings		+-------+
					 strip

					   ^
					   ^			--> N
					   ^
					   ^
		about half-a-mile          ^   path of shuttle
					   ^
					   ^
					   ^
					   ^
					   ^
					   ^
				fence	   ^
	X - where I was

What I want to know is, where is runway 17?  We saw no markings on
the dry lake bed in front of us.  Also, it looked like the fence was
fairly permanent, so most landings must have the crowd at the same place.
The radio claimed right before the landing that it was going to come
in NE to SW, which would have given us a cherry view.

--
-Todd Day-

ivucsb!todd@anise.acc.com

shafer@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov (05/11/89)

In article <3240@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:

>   In article <779@ivucsb.UUCP> todd@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) writes:
>   >I went all the way out to Edwards, and had a lot of fun waiting for
>   >and watching the shuttle land.  However, I was disappointed that the
>   >crowd does not get to be closer to the actual landing site.  We could
>   >barely see it when it landed, although the view when it flew over us
>   >was fantastic!

>   I suspect that they had you positioned for a landing on runway 17 (that's
>   certainly where the convoy was poised).  The switch to 22 was made within
>   20 (15, even?) minutes of landing.  Really unfortunate for those that made
>   the trip.  Take solace in the fact that the camera views that NASA Select
>   provided weren't very good either...."There it is, coming down.  It's
>   almost ready to touch the pavement.  Whoops, there's a building in the
>   way.  Oh I see it rolling again.  Oh, now it just went behind that
>   hanger,...", etc.

The Shuttle Public Viewing Area is always in the same place, far away.  This
is a hazardous event and they don't want people very close.  The Shuttle is
filled with dangerous stuff and the Air Force and NASA don't want to spray
400K bystanders with NO4 or hydrazine.  We are not even allowed to stand out
on the ramp when they tow the Shuttle to the MDD.

I thought this was one of the least viewable landings.  The high sun angle
really made it hard to follow the aircraft around the HAC.  I picked it up
overhead and then lost it.  The clouds were perfectly placed to make it
difficult!  I finally picked it up on final, about half-way across the
lakebed.  I even had the aid of being able to watch the tracking TM antenna,
since I was on the roof at Dryden.  (This antenna was pointing at the Shuttle
from about the coastline to touchdown.)  I infinitely prefer the early
landings, with the low sun angle.

By the way, did those of you who were at the landing notice that you could
hear the Shuttle really well?  It's usually very hard to hear.

--

M F Shafer
NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility

NASA management doesn't know what I'm doing and I don't know what they're
doing, and everybody's happy this way.

paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) (05/14/89)

< / hp-lsd:sci.space.shuttle / shafer@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov /
<
< By the way, did those of you who were at the landing notice that you could
< hear the Shuttle really well?  It's usually very hard to hear.

	I presume you mean the 2 sonic booms?  They were rather loud,
	but seemed normal given all other sonic booms I've heard.
	(Lucky and didn't even know it :-)

	By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
	booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?  Is this due to
	deceleration from Mach 5 such that the wave from Mach 5
	and one from Mach 1 (or so) arrive at the ground at the same
	time?  Just wondering, but there didn't seem to be any
	direction for the booms.  They just seemed to occur together.

	As far as how the landing went, it was rather confusing to see
	the shuttle turning in the East and coming in overhead.  I
	still expected a crosswind landing and couldn't figure out
	how the shuttle was going to make it's final lefthand turn
	(which it didn't, after all).  Still, it looked real good going
	by almost directly overhead.

	Also, given there were only some 30,000 people at the landing,
	it must be a real bear when a few 100,000 people show up.
	I sat in the traffic jam for about 1.5 hours :-(  Boy, did it
	get warm.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+	Paul Carroll			"Dear Lord, please break the laws
+	HP Logic Systems Division	 of the universe for my convenience."
+	hplabs!hp-lsd!paulc			- Emo Phillips
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

shafer@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov (05/16/89)

In article <9090001@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:

>           I presume you mean the 2 sonic booms?  They were rather loud,
>           but seemed normal given all other sonic booms I've heard.
>           (Lucky and didn't even know it :-)

No, you can hear the airframe noise.  It sounds like a transport, throttled
back to idle.  You're hearing the drag, as it were.  Maybe the crowd was too
loud where you were.

>           By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
>           booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?

One from the nose, one from the wingtips/tail.  You can hear a double boom
with any aircraft if the conditions are right.  If the aircraft is flying
really low and fast in the medium altitude supersonic corridor here at
Edwards you'll hear a double boom, but it's not usually as nice as the
Shuttle boom.  When the smaller aircraft is higher or slower the booms run
together and you hear one longer boom, without the high frequency component.

>           As far as how the landing went, it was rather confusing to see
>           the shuttle turning in the East and coming in overhead.  I
>           still expected a crosswind landing and couldn't figure out
>           how the shuttle was going to make it's final lefthand turn
>           (which it didn't, after all).  Still, it looked real good going
>           by almost directly overhead.

This is the HAC or heading alignment circle.  This lets the pilot line up
on the runway and make the actual reentry path slightly less critical.  For
example, they changed the runway after the de-orbit burn, using the HAC.

>           Also, given there were only some 30,000 people at the landing,
>           it must be a real bear when a few 100,000 people show up.
>           I sat in the traffic jam for about 1.5 hours :-(  Boy, did it
>           get warm.

I don't think there were even 30,000 people--the TV shots from the helicopter
showed a small group.  You're right about the traffic, though.

You can get passes to be over by Dryden for the non-classified landings.
I posted this a while ago and I'll post it again as the next mission is
imminent.
--

M F Shafer
NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility
shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov or shafer@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov

NASA management doesn't know what I'm doing and I don't know what they're
doing, and everybody's happy this way.

shafer@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov (05/16/89)

Please excuse the clutter in the group, but my mail bounced.

Todd,
Send your address and I'll send you a map of the lakebed.

The Public Viewing Area is _always_ in the same place--they don't move
it if they change runways.
--

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (05/18/89)

In article <9090001@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:

}By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
}booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?  ...

One from the Shuttle, one from the chase plane.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

hhd0@GTE.COM (Horace Dediu) (05/18/89)

In article <4453@ttidca.TTI.COM>, hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:
> In article <9090001@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
>
> }By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
> }booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?  ...
>
> One from the Shuttle, one from the chase plane.

No.
The booms come from two different shock waves generated by the shuttle.  At
supersonic speeds the shuttle looks like:

			.                        .
                       .                        .
  		      .  <- shock wave 1       . <- shock wave 2
		     .	(in 3-space, these    .
		    .	 are cones)	      --.
		   .			     /  |
		  .			    /   |
		 .			   /    |
	        .  _______________________/-----|__
               . /   USA                 :      /  |
	      /--                               ---|
	     <                                  \__|
              -------------------------------------
	       .			  .
		.			   .
		 .  			    .
		  .  			     .
		   . 			      .
		    . 		  yay!	       .
		     .		 o		.
		      .		-|-		 .
		       .BOOM	/ \		  .BOOM
_____________________________________________________ (observer) on ground
(Not to scale).  There are many shock waves, but these are the biggest.  The
nose, and the bumps in the fuselage at the back which cover the engines
cause the two shock waves.

--
Horace Dediu                                                  GTE Laboratories
(671) 466-4111                                                40 Sylvan Road

shafer@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov (05/18/89)

In article <4453@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:

> In article <9090001@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:

>  }By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
>  }booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?  ...

>   One from the Shuttle, one from the chase plane.

There are no chase planes, since the Shuttle is "operational."  I don't think
the chases were supersonic anyway.  I've loaned my SETP proceedings with
the paper about chasing the Shuttle.  When it comes back, I'll let you
know.

One boom is from the nose, one is from the wings.
--

shafer@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov (05/19/89)

In article <4453@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:

> In article <9090001@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
>  }By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
>  }booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?  ...

>   One from the Shuttle, one from the chase plane.

There are no chase planes, since the Shuttle is "operational."  I don't think
the chases were supersonic anyway.  I've loaned my SETP proceedings with
the paper about chasing the Shuttle.  When it comes back, I'll let you
know.

One boom is from the nose, one is from the wings.

You may have already seen this, but our system got weird and I think this
didn't make it.
--

colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) (05/19/89)

In article <SHAFER.89May18154504@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <4453@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:
>
>> In article <9090001@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
>>  }By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
>>  }booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?  ...
>
>>   One from the Shuttle, one from the chase plane.
>
>One boom is from the nose, one is from the wings.

There's something I don't understand about this explanation.  Even if one
boom (shock wavefront) were emanating from the very tip of the nose, and the
other from the very rearmost part of the craft, that would only separate the
wavefronts by the length of the craft, which is approx. 120 ft.  If the
craft is travelling at, say, 300 mi/hr, then the time difference between the
first wave and the second (as perceived by a stationary observer on the
ground) would be

    300 mi   5260 ft      120 ft
    ------ x -------  =  --------
      hr       mi          N hr

Solving that for N in seconds, I get 0.27 seconds.  My impression was that
the booms were obviously separated in time.  I'd expect that people might
have a hard time distinguishing booms that were only 0.27 seconds apart.

I read an explanation once that said the second boom was just the first boom
reflected off an upper atmosphere layer.  When the craft is going faster
than a certain speed, the angle at which the primary boom leaves the nose is
such that a significant portion of it can reflect directly back down, and
the additional path length accounts for the time delay between booms.
Supposedly there's some critical angle (hence critical speed) that allows
the second boom.

Bob Colwell               ..!uunet!mfci!colwell
Multiflow Computer     or colwell@multiflow.com
175 N. Main St.
Branford, CT 06405     203-488-6090

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (05/19/89)

In article <4453@ttidca.TTI.COM>, hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:
> In article <9090001@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
>
> }By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
> }booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?  ...

One sonic boom is caused by the nose of the shuttle piercing the sound barrier
and the second sonic boom is caused by the THE SHUTTLES TAIL FIN also piercing
the sound barrier!

						Jim Collymore

kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (05/20/89)

In article <4453@ttidca.TTI.COM>, hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:
> In article <9090001@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
>
> }By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
> }booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?  ...
>
> One from the Shuttle, one from the chase plane.

I was at the latest landing at Edwards, and there were NO chase planes.  So
your theory goes down (not with flames, but fading slowly into the mists....)

Two sonic booms originate from different parts of the orbiter itself.  The
first is from the nose, and the second is from aft parts of the orbiter,
such as wings and tail.  The faster the orbiter is flying, the more closely
spaced the sonic booms are--eventually they are indistinguishable.

There has been (as usual) much discussion of this double boom phenomena
here recently.  All I will add is that, since the early 1960's when I
lived in Sheridan Wyoming, I hadn't heard a sonic boom (we used to hear them
ALL the time back then).  The landing at Edwards brought back a few memories,
and was almost overwhelming.

Norman Kluksdahl              Arizona State University
            ..ncar!noao!asuvax!enuxha!kluksdah
alternate:   kluksdah@enuxc1.eas.asu.edu

standard disclaimer implied

jim@aob.aob.mn.org (Jim Anderson) (05/21/89)

In article <9090001@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
>By the way, can anyone inform me as to why there are 2 sonic
>booms, and not just one, from the shuttle?  ...

How far apart are these double booms??

--
Jim Anderson			(612) 636-2869
Anderson O'Brien, Inc		New mail:jim@aob.mn.org

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/22/89)

In article <862@m3.mfci.UUCP> colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) writes:
>Solving that for N in seconds, I get 0.27 seconds.  My impression was that
>the booms were obviously separated in time.  I'd expect that people might
>have a hard time distinguishing booms that were only 0.27 seconds apart.

I'd expect that you're wrong.  That's a quarter of a second, which is most
certainly distinguishable (or for you computer types:  250 milliseconds).
Being a former percussionist (you know, one of those guys that plays
drums), I remember routinely playing notes on a snare drum that are a
quarter of a second apart (four notes per second).  Believe me, the notes
were quite distinguishable.  Or don't believe me.  But if you don't
believe me, do the following experiment:  tap the countertop once a second
(use your watch to time them).  Double the rate, then double it again.
Quite distinguishable.  And in fact, about the same rate that the
shuttle's booms are heard at.

colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) (05/23/89)

In article <3305@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>In article <862@m3.mfci.UUCP> colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) writes:
>>Solving that for N in seconds, I get 0.27 seconds.  My impression was that
>>the booms were obviously separated in time.  I'd expect that people might
>>have a hard time distinguishing booms that were only 0.27 seconds apart.
>
>I'd expect that you're wrong.  That's a quarter of a second, which is most
>certainly distinguishable (or for you computer types:  250 milliseconds).
>Being a former percussionist (you know, one of those guys that plays
>drums), I remember routinely playing notes on a snare drum that are a
>quarter of a second apart (four notes per second).  Believe me, the notes
>were quite distinguishable.  Or don't believe me.  But if you don't
>believe me, do the following experiment:  tap the countertop once a second
>(use your watch to time them).  Double the rate, then double it again.
>Quite distinguishable.  And in fact, about the same rate that the
>shuttle's booms are heard at.

If the craft were really travelling at 300mph, there wouldn't *be* any sonic
booms.  It has to be travelling at over twice that speed to even generate
the booms.  So the arrival time difference between the booms (if they exist)
from the front and back of the craft would actually be at most 1/10 of a
second.  If the front/back explanation is right, (and I don't dispute that
one can hear sonic events separated in time by 1/10th of a second, I just
wonder if the attack portion of the boom's sonic envelope is sufficiently
sharp that a second one 0.1 seconds later would be obviously distinguishable)
then why don't all supersonic aircraft generate this same phenomenon?  I was
under the impression that the craft had to be sufficiently fast to have this
occur, and that it happened with the shuttle because it was going umpteen
zillion mph at the time, much faster than normal aircraft can achieve.
(Ok, the front/back explanation would hold up better with longer aircraft;
is the shuttle one of the longest supersonic aircraft?  I would have
imagined a B-1 to be much longer).

Bob Colwell               ..!uunet!mfci!colwell
Multiflow Computer     or colwell@multiflow.com
175 N. Main St.
Branford, CT 06405     203-488-6090

shafer@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov (05/23/89)

About sonic booms--you guys must live in the wrong neighborhood :-)  Sonic
booms are quite common here at Dryden, since we're right under the medium-
altitude supersonic corridor.  Come visit us, for the public tour, and you'll
probably hear several.

The overpressure and other characteristics of the shock are functions of the
aircraft altitude, Mach, size, and weight.  If the aircraft is very high,
for example, the shock will have dissipated somewhat before it reaches the
ground and the boom will be more like a rumble.  The best booms are very
sharp and distinct, with quite a bit of high-frequency content.  These come
from relatively low, fast, close aircraft.  Double booms, like the
Shuttle produces, aren't that uncommon.  An F-4 can produce a very nice
double boom--I've heard & seen them do it.  There's a clue in that statement,
that they were low enough and close enough that I could see them doing it.

Any aerodynamics text will show you the shock waves coming off an aircraft.
If you want to see pictures, look in Van Dyke's book, "An Album of Fluid
Motion."  He has a chapter of shock wave pictures and another of supersonic
flow.  This is an outstanding book, which everyone interested in aerodynamics
should have.

--

raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (05/24/89)

In article <6949@bunny.GTE.COM> hhd0@GTE.COM (Horace Dediu) writes:

>The booms come from two different shock waves generated by the shuttle.  At
>supersonic speeds the shuttle looks like:

	Approximately right, but there's a different aerodynamic reason.
	What I say next is subject to the disclaimer that it's been
	some years since I studied it, and my main aerodynamic interest
	was in sailplanes with a typical Vne of 135 knots.

	Both booms are caused by an abrupt pressure transition.  This
	is easy to understand for the leading boom, but the transition
	causing the trailing boom is triggered by the fact that the
	shuttle no longer occupies the volume of airspace it just passed
	through.  The trailing boom's shock wave forms at a different
	angle than the leading boom's shock wave because local airspeed
	is higher at that point than at the nose.

	This effect is visible in wind tunnel photographs of simpler
	forms, such as bullets, in supersonic flow.  To update Mr.
	Dediu's drawing, this is roughly what I believe the Shuttle's
	case would look like:

		      .                  			      .
                     .                           		     .
  		    .    <- shock wave 1            shock wave 2 ->.
		   .  	(in 3-space, these                        .
		  .  	 are cones)	      --.               .
		 .  			     /  |              .
		.  			    /   |            .
	       .			   /    |           .
	      .    _______________________/-----|__       .
             .   /   USA                 :      /  |     .
	    . /--                               ---|   .
	   . <                                  \__|  .
            . -------------------------------------    .
	     .  				         .
	      .						  .
	       .					    .
		.    			     		     .
		 .   			      		       .
		  .   		  yay!	       		        .
		   .  		 o				  .
		    .  		-|-		 		   .
		     .  BOOM	/ \		  		     .BOOM
_____________________________________________________ (observer) on ground

	The time interval between the two booms is due to the different
	spreading angle; if the shuttle goes by at, say Mach 1.1 & 50K
	feet, the separation increases from the shuttle's length to
	a few hundred feet.

	Also note that these shock waves form ahead of and behind the
	object.  An form with a relatively pointed nose, like an F-104,
	has a relatively large distance between its leading shock wave
	and the nose itself; this produces minimal drag due to feeding
	energy into the shock wave.  A relatively blunt nose, such as
	the shuttles, will generate its shock wave much closer to, or even
	even on, the nose, and will produce much higher drag.

>(Not to scale).  There are many shock waves, but these are the biggest.  The
>nose, and the bumps in the fuselage at the back which cover the engines
>cause the two shock waves.

	You bet.  Shock wave structure, particularly on airfoils, can
	be pretty complex.  The aerodynamicists from Lockheed who
	taught the class that I took mentioned that there are airfoils
	that can have local supersonic flow, initiating local shock
	waves, at airspeeds as low as .2 Mach.  Needless to say,
	design of things such as airliner wings gets lots trickier as
	the intended speed gets into the normal transonic regime.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/24/89)

In article <871@m3.mfci.UUCP> colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) writes:
>In article <3305@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>>In article <862@m3.mfci.UUCP> colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) writes:
>>>Solving that for N in seconds, I get 0.27 seconds.  My impression was that
>>>the booms were obviously separated in time.  I'd expect that people might
>>>have a hard time distinguishing booms that were only 0.27 seconds apart.
>>
>>I'd expect that you're wrong.  That's a quarter of a second, which is most
>>certainly distinguishable (or for you computer types:  250 milliseconds).
>
>If the craft were really travelling at 300mph, there wouldn't *be* any sonic
>booms.

Whoops.  I guess I missed something.

>is the shuttle one of the longest supersonic aircraft?

In fact, I believe that it is.  Not *the* longest, but probably one of the
top five.

Another possibility is that the shockwaves coming off the front and the
tail are shaped differently.  Isn't the shape determined by the shape of
the object itself?  Wouldn't the shape then determine the angle off the
direction of the craft's forward travel?  And wouldn't that in turn effect
the amount of time the wave took to intersect with the earth?  I don't
know much about aerodynamics, so I'm just guessing.

Also remember that the craft is rapidly decelerating.  Isn't the shape of
the wave also determined by the speed?  Would that have anything to do
with it?

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (05/26/89)

In article <8465@venera.isi.edu> raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) writes:
}	Also note that these shock waves form ahead of and behind the
}	object.  An form with a relatively pointed nose, like an F-104,
}	has a relatively large distance between its leading shock wave
}	and the nose itself; this produces minimal drag due to feeding
}	energy into the shock wave.  A relatively blunt nose, such as
}	the shuttles, will generate its shock wave much closer to, or even
}	even on, the nose, and will produce much higher drag.

This is the opposite of what I was taught (and saw demonstrated).
Shock waves tend to attach to a sharp leading edge and precede a blunt
one.  You can demonstrate the effect in water by observing the bow wave of
a boat with a rounded bow in the water vs. one with a pointed bow.

Don't flame if you haven't tried it.

--

raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (06/01/89)

In article <4499@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:
>In article <8465@venera.isi.edu> raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) writes:
>}	Also note that these shock waves form ahead of and behind the
>}	object.  An form with a relatively pointed nose, like an F-104,
>}	has a relatively large distance between its leading shock wave
>}	and the nose itself; this produces minimal drag due to feeding
>}	energy into the shock wave.  A relatively blunt nose, such as
>}	the shuttles, will generate its shock wave much closer to, or even
>}	even on, the nose, and will produce much higher drag.
>
>This is the opposite of what I was taught (and saw demonstrated).

	I believe you're right.  A blunt nose should logically produce
	a relatively larger zone of high pressure in which the flow
	goes subsonic between the shock wave and the nose.

	Pardon my rusty brain; give me a sailplane that's at least
	transonic & I'll start brushing up.

>Shock waves tend to attach to a sharp leading edge and precede a blunt
>one.  You can demonstrate the effect in water by observing the bow wave of
>a boat with a rounded bow in the water vs. one with a pointed bow.
>
>Don't flame if you haven't tried it.

	I used to own a boat with a pointed bow (a Soling) & agree
	completely in the context of displacement hulls.  Planing
	hulls aren't germane to the analogy, but hydrofoils would
	make an interesting study.  Does anyone know of research
	into hydrofoil section optimization?

	Now if only this worked on the freeway, where flow is viscous,
	even if not hypersonic, we could design and sell a lot of cars.

Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu