[sci.space.shuttle] Space Shuttle Electronics

alexm@microsoft.UUCP (Alexander Mulder) (06/30/89)

   I know that the electronics used in many advanced military
projects are rather outdated, and heard the same about the
shuttle's computers. Somebody must know the details ! E.g.
which (micro- ?) processors are being used, which/how much memory,
clockspeed etc. ?  And, which language was used to write the software
for them ? I hope that this all is not CLASSIFIED info...

---                                      ---
--- Alex Mulder (uunet!microsoft!alexm)  ---
---  					 ---

phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Bill LeFebvre) (07/01/89)

In article <6202@microsoft.UUCP> alexm@microsoft.UUCP (Alexander Mulder) writes:
>...rather outdated, and heard the same about the
>shuttle's computers. Somebody must know the details ! E.g.
>which (micro- ?) processors are being used, which/how much memory,
>clockspeed etc. ?  And, which language was used to write the software
>for them ? I hope that this all is not CLASSIFIED info...

Pretty soon this is going to qualify for the "most often asked
questions on Usenet" list.  This has been asked and answered several
times this year already.  I'll prepare a "blanket" answer this weekend
and send it your way.

By the way, NOTHING about the shuttle is classified.  It is all public
knowledge.  If you know where to look, you can get plans that are
detailed enough to allow you to build your own shuttle.  Only certain
payloads and missions are classified.

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>