[sci.space.shuttle] TITAN 4

Brian.Crawford@p12.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Brian Crawford) (06/16/89)

I have just read a newspaper article on the new TITAN 4 launcher being used by
the military.  It was described as the U.S.`s "newest and biggest launcher."

How does this compare with the SATURN V ?

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!noao!asuvax!stjhmc!15.12!Brian.Crawford
Internet: Brian.Crawford@p12.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

stramm@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Bernd Stramm) (06/17/89)

In article <4301.24986D0D@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Brian.Crawford@p12.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Brian Crawford) writes:
>I have just read a newspaper article on the new TITAN 4 launcher being used by
>the military.  It was described as the U.S.`s "newest and biggest launcher."
>
>How does this compare with the SATURN V ?

According to Scientific American, March 89, it will deliver 40 Kpounds
to LEO, and about 12 Kpounds to geostationary. I don't recall Saturn V,
but I'm sure it was considerably more. The shuttle does about 55 or so
to LEO. A Proton about 42/8 and an Ariane 5 about 43/15. All numbers
from the same source. The dumb units too :-)

stramm%cs@ucsd.edu	ARPA (new) 	|	Bernd Stramm
stramm@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu ARPA (old) 	| CSE Department, UC San Diego
bstramm@ucsd		BITNET 		| La Jolla, Ca 92093

ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) (06/18/89)

In article <6663@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> stramm%cs@UCSD.EDU (Bernd Stramm) writes:
>In article <4301.24986D0D@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Brian.Crawford@p12.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Brian Crawford) writes:
>>I have just read a newspaper article on the new TITAN 4 launcher being used by
>>the military.  It was described as the U.S.`s "newest and biggest launcher."
>>
>>How does this compare with the SATURN V ?

According to the material I have, from a couple of different sources, the
Titan 4 can lift 32,000 lbs to LEO.  The Satun V, on the other hand, can
lift about 200,000 lbs to the same orbit.  I have no figures on geosynchronous
capabilities.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Matthew DeLuca                      :
Georgia Institute of Technology     :          [This space for rent]

deg@druwy.ATT.COM (Donald E. Gillespie) (06/19/89)

In article <4301.24986D0D@stjhmc.fidonet.org>, Brian.Crawford@p12.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Brian Crawford) writes:
> I have just read a newspaper article on the new TITAN 4 launcher being used by
> the military.  It was described as the U.S.`s "newest and biggest launcher."
>
> How does this compare with the SATURN V ?

From the articles I read, it seems that the Titan 4 is slightly smaller
than the Saturn V.  However, since Saturn V no longer exists, that would
make Titan 4 the "biggest" launcher we currently have.

--

			Don Gillespie
			att!druwy!deg

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (06/19/89)

>In article <4301.24986D0D@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Brian.Crawford@p12.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Brian Crawford) writes:

>According to Scientific American, March 89, it will deliver 40 Kpounds
>to LEO, and about 12 Kpounds to geostationary. I don't recall Saturn V,
>but I'm sure it was considerably more. The shuttle does about 55 or so
>to LEO. A Proton about 42/8 and an Ariane 5 about 43/15. All numbers
>from the same source. The dumb units too :-)
>

>stramm%cs@ucsd.edu	ARPA (new) 	|	Bernd Stramm

The Saturn V can deliver 285,000 lbs to Earth orbit or 100,000 lbs
to Lunar orbit.

Peter Jarvis.....

Peter.Galatin@p4.f528.n107.z1.fidonet.org (Peter Galatin) (06/20/89)

MD> From: ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca)
MD> Date: 17 Jun 89 17:53:16 GMT
MD> Newsgroups: sci.space.shuttle

MD> In article <6663@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> stramm%cs@UCSD.EDU (Bernd Stramm) w
>In article <4301.24986D0D@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Brian.Crawford@p12.f15.n114.z1
MD> .fidonet.org (Brian Crawford) writes:
>>I have just read a newspaper article on the new TITAN 4 launcher
MD> being used by
>>the military.  It was described as the U.S.`s "newest and biggest
MD> launcher."

I'm just wondering, is there an easier way to quote these messages?

--- GroupMail 2.1
 * Origin: Blue Ribbon BBS - 201-791-7471 (107/528.4)
--
 Peter Galatin - via UFgate - FidoNet Node 1:107/528
 Internet:  Peter.Galatin@p4.f528.n107.z1.fidonet.org

In article <4301.24986D0D@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Brian.Crawford@p12.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Brian Crawford) writes:
>I have just read a newspaper article on the new TITAN 4 launcher being used by
>the military.  It was described as the U.S.`s "newest and biggest launcher."
>
>How does this compare with the SATURN V ?

The Titan 4 is much smaller.  The statement remains accurate, since the
Saturn V no longer exists as a usable launcher.
--
You *can* understand sendmail, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but it's not worth it. -Collyer| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mws@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Michael W. Stalnaker) (06/20/89)

In article <4127@druwy.ATT.COM> deg@druwy.ATT.COM (Donald E. Gillespie) writes:

>From the articles I read, it seems that the Titan 4 is slightly smaller
>than the Saturn V.  However, since Saturn V no longer exists, that would
>make Titan 4 the "biggest" launcher we currently have.

***SLIGHTLY*** smaller???? The Titan IV has a thrust rating of right
about three million pounds, (+- 10%), and can only get about 40-50 thousand
pounds to low earth orbit. (Henry, what's the real number?)  The Saturn V had
a total lift-off thrurst of seven and a half million pounds, and could put
about 250,000 pounds into low earth orbit.  And just think sports fans! NASA
is kinda-sorta-maybe exploring a shuttle derivative (Shuttle-C) that will let
us put a whole whopping 150,000 pounds into orbit at once.  If we had a sane
space program, that would be medium lift, *NOT* heavy lift.  There is only
one Heavy Lift booster on the planet right now, or likely to make the scene
within 20 years... it's called Energia.

--Mike Stalnaker
mws@aplpy.jhuapl.edu		"Progress: (verb) the opposite of Congress"

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (06/20/89)

In <1989Jun19.192514.4696@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> The Titan 4 is much smaller.  The statement remains accurate, since the
> Saturn V no longer exists as a usable launcher.

	I am sure this is exposing my incredible naivete in the subject,
but just what the hell is so hard about building a big rocket?  You need a
motor (or several), some fuel/oxidizer tanks, some plumbing to get the
contents of the latter to the former, a stabilizer system, a big space to
put the payload in, and maybe some stap-on solid boosters.

	Now, even I know that this is a huge gross generalization of the
design of a big rocket, but I still don't see why the introduction of the
Titan-4 is such a big deal.  There is nothing in the Titan-4 that hasn't
been done before, in smaller and in larger scale.  It seems to me that the
announcement of the Titan-4 is about on the same order of interest as the
announcement of yet another 2 MIPS workstation.

	Question:  How much would it cost to build a new shuttle if you
left out all the re-entry equipment (i.e. no wings, etc) and all the life
support systems (i.e. no crew compartment) and used the space and weight
saved to boost unmanned payloads as a non-reusable launcher?  What I'm
talking about is basicly just reusing the SSMEs, ET, and SRMs as a
already-designed propulsion system.  Is it possible that this could ever
compete with an expendable in terms of cost/payload-mass-lifted?  Feel free
to tell me I'm all wet, if that is indeed the case.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

leech@Apple.COM (Jonathan Patrick Leech) (06/20/89)

In article <1624@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> mws@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Michael W. Stalnaker) writes:
>pounds to low earth orbit. (Henry, what's the real number?)  The Saturn V had
>a total lift-off thrurst of seven and a half million pounds, and could put
>about 250,000 pounds into low earth orbit.  And just think sports fans! NASA
>is kinda-sorta-maybe exploring a shuttle derivative (Shuttle-C) that will let
>us put a whole whopping 150,000 pounds into orbit at once.

    150K pounds of cargo vs. 250K pounds of 3rd stage, since Saturn
was not designed for or used as a LEO cargo booster, with the sort-of
exception of Skylab.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@apple.com)
    Apple Integrated Systems

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (06/20/89)

In article <3810@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>...  There is nothing in the Titan-4 that hasn't
>been done before, in smaller and in larger scale.  It seems to me that the
>announcement of the Titan-4 is about on the same order of interest as the
>announcement of yet another 2 MIPS workstation.

I think the interest in the Titan-4 is because it's the only thing we(=US) have
*now* that is that powerful (except the shuttle).  So it's really as if we
once had 16 MIPS workstations but had abandoned anything faster than 1/2 MIPS.
Then a 2 MIPS workstation would be noteworthy.

   Robert

In article <3810@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>... just what the hell is so hard about building a big rocket?  You need a
>motor (or several), some fuel/oxidizer tanks, some plumbing to get the
>contents of the latter to the former, a stabilizer system, a big space to
>put the payload in, and maybe some stap-on solid boosters.

The trickiest parts are the motor -- getting stable combustion is not always
an easy business, and instabilities generally mean explosions -- and the
pumps.  The power output of a big rocket engine is measured in gigawatts,
in a package only a few feet across.  It doesn't take much of that energy
going in the wrong direction to make a heap big mess in a heap big hurry.
And pumping tons of sometimes-cryogenic-and-always-highly-reactive liquids
per second against high pressures is not a trivial problem either.  The
power output of the pump turbine on a single F-1 engine (the Saturn V
first stage had five) was 55,000 horsepower.

The biggest problem in reviving the Saturn V is that the engines are long
out of production.

>... I still don't see why the introduction of the
>Titan-4 is such a big deal...

Basically, it's not.  It's a slightly souped-up version of the assorted
Titan 3 variants, a little bigger and a little more powerful.  The biggest
problem was structural worries about the new larger payload shroud.

>	Question:  How much would it cost to build a new shuttle if you
>left out all the re-entry equipment (i.e. no wings, etc) and all the life
>support systems (i.e. no crew compartment) and used the space and weight
>saved to boost unmanned payloads as a non-reusable launcher? ...

What you've described is pretty much the same as either the Hughes/Boeing
Jarvis proposal or NASA's current Shuttle-C proposal.  It can certainly
be done.  It's not impossibly expensive, but it's not exactly cheap either,
especially with NASA doing it.

>Is it possible that this could ever
>compete with an expendable in terms of cost/payload-mass-lifted? ...

There is no fundamental reason why it couldn't; Jarvis was proposed as a
reasonably competitive big expendable.  Shuttle-C will not be economically
competitive, if it is built, because it will be built and launched by NASA;
its specialty will be getting unusually big payloads into orbit in one piece.
--
NASA is to spaceflight as the  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
US government is to freedom.   | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <32548@apple.Apple.COM> leech@Apple.COM (Jonathan Patrick Leech) writes:
>    150K pounds of cargo vs. 250K pounds of 3rd stage, since Saturn
>was not designed for or used as a LEO cargo booster, with the sort-of
>exception of Skylab.

Used as, true.  Designed for?  The Saturn V was meant as a general-purpose
heavy launcher, not just as an Apollo booster, although Apollo's needs got
first priority for obvious reasons.  I've seen various numbers for LEO cargo
capacity, but 250K pounds *of cargo* is not unrealistic -- that thing was
*big*.  The final Saturn Vs launched over 100K pounds of cargo to *escape
velocity*.  Skylab weighed 100K+, I think, and it was launched by only
2/3 of a Saturn V.  (The second stage of that booster is the biggest object
ever to reenter from orbit, much bigger than Skylab itself.)
--

Rob.Lerman@f57.n203.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rob Lerman) (06/22/89)

 > I'm just wondering, is there an easier way to quote these
 > messages?

 Can't you just quote what you just need to? I don't know how much

you fully need to quote here in Usenet.

 By the way, could you please let me know if my message here gets through

to you on this area.

 Thanks,

   Rob Lerman
   1:203/57

--
Rob Lerman - via FidoNet node 1:147/10
UUCP: ...!uokmax!metnet!203!57!Rob.Lerman

vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) (06/23/89)

In article <1989Jun21.165020.1506@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

   NASA is to spaceflight as the  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
   US government is to freedom.   | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

At first this looks like a cheap shot from the great white north.  But
after thinking about it it is really quite accurate.  NASA has
accomplished some of the best spaceflight the world has seen and the
US gov't provides IMO one of the freer countries in the world.

Of course both do it with a *LOT* of unneeded beurocracy and waste,
and have been slipping badly in these goals recently.

"Even Marilyn Monroe was a man, but, this, tends to get overlooked,
 by, our mother fixated overweight sexist media" -- Robin Hitchcock
 _____
 -----

boley@ingr.com (Kirk Boley) (06/24/89)

> In article <4301.24986D0D@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Brian.Crawford@p12.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Brian Crawford) writes:
> >How does this compare with the SATURN V ?
>
> According to Scientific American, March 89, it will deliver 40 Kpounds
> to LEO, and about 12 Kpounds to geostationary. I don't recall Saturn V,
> but I'm sure it was considerably more. The shuttle does about 55 or so
> to LEO. A Proton about 42/8 and an Ariane 5 about 43/15. All numbers
> from the same source. The dumb units too :-)

	If I remember these numbers correctly, the Saturn V would lift
90Kpounds to the moon, and 75Kpounds to Mars. These figures are from an
old World Book Encyclopedia (1967), so I don't know how accurate they are.
The article didn't say anything about how much Saturn V would lift to LEO
or Geostationary, but a Saturn V lifted Skylab to LEO, and I think that
Skylab is still the biggest object ever lifted (maybe not by now).
	It always pisses me off when I think about NASA and the U.S.
government letting Skylab re-enter. I don't know what kind of shape it was
in, but it seems like (with a little refurb) we could be using it right now
as a platform for future space projects. Maybe I'm wrong.
Standard disclaimer.  |   Kirk Boley, Intergraph Huntsville, UAH
Witty .sig message.   |   61 hours to go and counting...  ...!uucp!ingr!boley

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (07/05/89)

In article <5681@ingr.com> boley@ingr.com (Kirk Boley) writes:

>The article didn't say anything about how much Saturn V would lift to LEO
>or Geostationary, but a Saturn V lifted Skylab to LEO, and I think that

The Saturn V could lift 285,000 pounds to LEO, 100,000 pounds to the Moon.

Peter Jarvis..........