[sci.space.shuttle] New Shuttle engine

mflawson@uokmax.UUCP (Michael F Lawson) (07/17/89)

I heard on CNN today that NASA had completed a test-firing of a new
Shuttle engine.  Supposedly this was the third successful test.  Does
anyone have more information?  Is this the Advanced Solid Rocket Motor,
or is it a new design for the main engines?

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (07/17/89)

In article <3499@uokmax.UUCP>, mflawson@uokmax.UUCP (Michael F Lawson) writes:
> I heard on CNN today that NASA had completed a test-firing of a new
> Shuttle engine.  Supposedly this was the third successful test.  Does
> anyone have more information?  Is this the Advanced Solid Rocket Motor,
> or is it a new design for the main engines?

The AP article strongly implied it was the main engine, since it spoke
of an earlier test's problem with nitrogen contamination of the liquid
hydrogen feed.  The new engine features an enlarged throat for the main
combustion chamber, to permit the engine to run at lower temperatures
and pressures.  The previous two tests were aborted.

jws3@hcx.uucp (6079 Smith James) (07/18/89)

In article <11888@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:
> In article <3499@uokmax.UUCP>, mflawson@uokmax.UUCP (Michael F Lawson) writes:
> > I heard on CNN today that NASA had completed a test-firing of a new
> > Shuttle engine.  Supposedly this was the third successful test.  Does
>
> The AP article strongly implied it was the main engine, since it spoke
> of an earlier test's problem with nitrogen contamination of the liquid
> hydrogen feed.  The new engine features an enlarged throat for the main
> combustion chamber, to permit the engine to run at lower temperatures
> and pressures.  The previous two tests were aborted.

This stuff is a series of tests at Technology Test Bed, Marshall Space
Flight Center, Alabama.  The above info is correct.  I haven't been in
touch with TTB for about a month and a half (on leave), but the first test
aborted through instrumentation problems.  The engine is very heavily
instrumented, and glitches happen, since TTB is a new stand and not
completely ironed out yet.

|  James W. Smith, University of Arkansas   |                                |
|  ...uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!jws3@hcx     |    We must love one another    |
|  harry!hcx!jws3@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu       |            or die.             |
|  Telenet:  jws3@130.184.7.209             |                  --A. Clarke   |
|  515 Skyline Dr., Fayetteville, AR 72701  |                                |