[sci.space.shuttle] Re^2: Hubble Space Telescope

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (07/17/89)

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:

>According to several sources, the cost of storing the HST until
>it can be launched is around $10 million PER MONTH.  It has been
>waiting since about 1985 or so to go up, so this amounts to
>several hundred million dollars!

>Can anyone enlighten me as to why it costs so much just to STORE it?

I believe it has to be "stored" in a cleanroom. From the clothing
worn in photos, I'd guess it's a Class 100 cleanroom. Just running
the air circulation system on a large clean room is expensive! Add
in the filtration and temperature control and it gets *real*
expensive.

I'm sure there are other costs, but I work for a company that makes
silicon wafers. I am painfully aware of cleanrooms. (ever have to
clean a computer before installing it?)
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

s914@GTE.COM (Lawrence Bilker) (07/20/89)

In article <1566@bucket.UUCP>, leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
>
> >According to several sources, the cost of storing the HST until
> >it can be launched is around $10 million PER MONTH.  It has been
> >waiting since about 1985 or so to go up, so this amounts to
> >several hundred million dollars!
>
> >Can anyone enlighten me as to why it costs so much just to STORE it?
>
> I believe it has to be "stored" in a cleanroom. From the clothing
> worn in photos, I'd guess it's a Class 100 cleanroom. Just running
> the air circulation system on a large clean room is expensive! Add
> in the filtration and temperature control and it gets *real*
> expensive.

I read somewhere that it is a class 10,000 clean room.  Which is even more
expensive than a class 100 clean room!

				Larry

Internet: s914@bunny.gte.com       US Mail: Lawrence Bilker
	  s914@allegro.gte.com	    	    P.O. Box 29689
					    Rochester, NY  14627-5689

"You must maintain control of your emotions, it will be your undoing"

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (07/22/89)

In article <7310@bunny.GTE.COM> s914@GTE.COM (Lawrence Bilker) writes:
>I read somewhere that it is a class 10,000 clean room.  Which is even more
>expensive than a class 100 clean room!

     With regards to clean rooms, I believe that "class xxx" refers to
   the maximum permitted dust level expressed in parts per million.
   That is, a class 10,000 clean room is one specified to have less
   than 10,000 parts per million dust, and only 100 parts per million
   for a class 100 clean room.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370 (Sunnyvale,Ca); {mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Every extinction, whether animal, mineral, or vegetable, hastens our own demise.