[sci.space.shuttle] Re^4: Hubble Space Telescope

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (07/27/89)

s914@GTE.COM (Lawrence Bilker) writes:

>I read somewhere that it is a class 10,000 clean room.  Which is even more
>expensive than a class 100 clean room!

Sorry, but as with golf, *lower* numbers are better. A class 100
cleanroom has less than 100 particles per cubic meter of air. A class
10,000 has less than 10,000 particles per cubic meter...

I may be wrong about the "cubic meter" it may be cubic foot. But the
principle is the same.

A class 10,000 room seems to typically require shoecovers or cleanroom
shoes, cleanroom coat, hair and beard covers.

A class 100 room typically requires cleanroom shoes or shoe covers,
hair cover, "bunny suit", cleanroom "booties" (yes, you waer the shoe
covers under the booties!), full haed cover with face mask (yes, a hair
cover under the headpiece), and gloves. And everything has to be put on
in a specific order and fastened very carefully.

It takes me about 30 seconds to get "dressed" for a class 10,000 room.
It takes several minutes (maybe as much as 5?) to "suit up" for a
class 100.

I've heard of class *10* rooms. I don't even want to think about them!
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]