[sci.space.shuttle] NASA Acronyms Dictionary

acw@hcx.uucp (Andrew Welch) (08/08/89)

Even those of us who are directly associated with the space program frequently
become overwhelmed by the extensive use of acronyms.  Some frustrated person(s)
finally published a reference guide which lists most of the abbreviations used
in NASA.  I'm not sure, but I think its available to the general public.  I
have included below all of the information that I have about this hefty (300+
pages) publication.

NASA Reference Publication 1059
"Space Transportation System and Associated Payloads:
 Glossary, Acronyms, and Abbreviations"

Write to:

Scientific and Technical Information Branch
Technical Publications Section
Mail Stop NIT-3
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Washington, D.C.  20546

Andrew Welch    acw@hcx.UUCP
NASA/MSFC       acw@130.184.64.209  (U of Arkansas)

"All this stuff is unofficial, the Government has no idea what I'm doing."

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/08/89)

In article <2897@cveg.uucp> acw@hcx.uucp (Andrew Welch) writes:
> NASA Reference Publication 1059 "Space Transportation System and
> Associated Payloads: Glossary, Acronyms, and Abbreviations"

Oh, yeah, the STSAPGAA.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (08/09/89)

In article <2897@cveg.uucp> acw@hcx.uucp (Andrew Welch) writes:

>Even those of us who are directly associated with the space program frequently
>become overwhelmed by the extensive use of acronyms.  Some frustrated person(s)
>finally published a reference guide which lists most of the abbreviations used
>in NASA.  I'm not sure, but I think its available to the general public.  I
>have included below all of the information that I have about this hefty (300+
>pages) publication.

I just went to the library and got my own copy--it's 307 pages, but it's
about 5" x 8" (rather than the usual 8-1/2 x 11).

>NASA Reference Publication 1059

It's now NASA RP 1059 _Revised_ with a date of 1985.  Our librarian told
me that she reordered fairly recently and that this was the one sent, so
it's probably the most current (right now, anyway).

>"Space Transportation System and Associated Payloads:
> Glossary, Acronyms, and Abbreviations"

The price is given as A14, which is a category based on pages, type
(i.e. color or black-and-white), and size.

--

M F Shafer                          shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center           arpa!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer