[sci.space.shuttle] Acronyms

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Bruce W. Mohler) (07/29/89)

In the series of Shuttle Status articles, there are
a number of acronyms that are meaningless to me and
I'd like your help to change that situation:

                  STS-28  -  COLUMBIA (OV 102)  -  LAUNCH PAD 39-B
                  ^^^                  ^^

                      STS-34  -  ATLANTIS (OV 104) - OPF BAY 2
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^

                     STS-33  -  DISCOVERY (OV 103)  -  OPF BAY 1
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^

                       STS-34 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB/RPSF
                                                      ^^^^^^^^
Would you please tell me what the high-lighted terms mean.
				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks in advance!
--
Bruce W. Mohler
Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) (07/30/89)

From article <131@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU>, by bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Bruce W. Mohler):
[.. request for explanation of acronyms..]

STS	Space Transportation System	(the shuttle system as a whole)
OV	Orbiter Vehicle			(OV-nnn is the serial number of a given
					Space Shuttle Orbiter)
OPF	Orbiter Processing Facility	(the garage where the orbiters are
					refurbished between missions; it has
					two 'bays' each of which takes one orbiter)
OMRF	Orbiter Maintenance and Refurbishment Facility
	(you didnt ask for this one but its coming in a few weeks - its the shed they
	keep the third orbiter in when there are two in the garage).
VAB	Vertical Assembly Building	(where the Orbiter has the boosters and tank
					stuck onto it)
RPSF	R-something Processing and Surge Facility (where the
		solid rocket booster segments are prepared for
		stacking).

- JCM

s914@GTE.COM (Lawrence Bilker) (07/31/89)

In article <1625@cfa237.cfa250.harvard.edu>, mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) writes:
> VAB	Vertical Assembly Building	(where the Orbiter has the boosters and tank
> 					stuck onto it)

 I always thought VAB meant Vehicle Assembly Building (like OV)

 - LAB

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) (08/01/89)

From article <7364@bunny.GTE.COM>, by s914@GTE.COM (Lawrence Bilker):
>  I always thought VAB meant Vehicle Assembly Building (like OV)

Whoops! I goofed. You are, of course, absolutely correct. My mind
must have been out to lunch; I was probably getting confused with
VPF (Vertical Processing Facility) which is something else again
(STS payloads? Titan assembly? can't remember and dont want to
risk another goof...)

-Jonathan

leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (08/02/89)

:
: I always thought VAB meant Vehicle Assembly Building (like OV)
:
:
: - LAB

It was originaly called the Vertical Assembly Building, somewhere along
the line (I don't know when), the name was changed.

Lee

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin 1759

|Lee F. Mellinger                 Caltech/Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
|4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109 818/393-0516  FTS 977-0516
|{ames!cit-vax,}!elroy!jpl-devvax!leem  leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Bruce W. Mohler) (08/02/89)

Thank you for all of the responses (both netnews and e-mail)
providing explanations of the acronyms in the Shuttle status
reports.

--

marcus@illusion.UUCP (Marcus Hall) (08/02/89)

In article <1638@cfa237.cfa250.harvard.edu> mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) writes:
>From article <7364@bunny.GTE.COM>, by s914@GTE.COM (Lawrence Bilker):
>>  I always thought VAB meant Vehicle Assembly Building (like OV)
>
>Whoops! I goofed. You are, of course, absolutely correct. My mind
>must have been out to lunch; I was probably getting confused with
>VPF (Vertical Processing Facility) which is something else again
>(STS payloads? Titan assembly? can't remember and dont want to
>risk another goof...)
>
>-Jonathan

Whoops! You didn't really goof!  The *original* meaning of VAB was "Vertical
Assembly Building" and was later changed to "Vehicle...".  There was a lot
of questioning how the big Saturns should be built and transported to the
pad.  One option was to assemble the boosters on their side (like the Russians
do) and erect it on the pad.  The method that won out was to assemble it
vertically and then transport it to the pad.  (There were also quite a few
methods of transporting the booster to the pad that were studied.)

So, anyway, you were actually correct both times, but the *current* meaning
is Vehicle Assembly Building.

marcus hall

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (08/03/89)

In article <131@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:

>Would you please tell me what the high-lighted terms mean.
>				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bruce, STS= Space Transportation System; OV= Orbital Vehicle;
OPF= Orbiter Processing Facility; VAB= Vertical Assembly Building.

Peter Jarvis...........

daly@masscomp.UUCP (Patrick Daly) (08/05/89)

In article <1625@cfa237.cfa250.harvard.edu>
mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) writes:
>From article <131@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU>, by bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Bruce W. Mohler):
>[.. request for explanation of acronyms..]
>
>STS	Space Transportation System	(the shuttle system as a whole)
>OV	Orbiter Vehicle			(OV-nnn is the serial number of a given
>					Space Shuttle Orbiter)
>OPF	Orbiter Processing Facility	(the garage where the orbiters are

	<more definitions deleted here>

I was pleased to see these acronyms explained. It makes reading this
newsgroup more meaningful.

I had the opportunity to visit bldg 30 at JSC (another acronym!) 2 months
ago and  was overwhelmed by the number of acronyms I encountered while in
the TFCR (oops...another! alias: Transition Flight Control Room) and also
while looking at the nameplates on the various rooms in the hallways.

At the time I mentioned to my co-worker that I wished I had a
'NASA Buzzword Dictionary' to look up some of the acronyms.

Anyone else think this would be a good thing to have ?
Any volunteers to put together and maintain the document ?
Perhaps someone could post it monthly with updates ?

I would like to see something like the above with a delimiters
between definitions so I can use a script to find and print a
given definition.

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (08/07/89)

In article <7364@bunny.GTE.COM> s914@GTE.COM (Lawrence Bilker) writes:

> I always thought VAB meant Vehicle Assembly Building (like OV)

It was originally the Vertical Assembly Building because that is where they
stacked up the Saturn V's and IB's for the Apollo missions. I like it
better than "Vehicle".

Peter..........

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (08/07/89)

In article <1638@cfa237.cfa250.harvard.edu> mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) writes:
>Whoops! I goofed. You are, of course, absolutely correct. My mind
>must have been out to lunch; I was probably getting confused with
>VPF (Vertical Processing Facility) which is something else again

You didn't goof. It *is* called the Vertical Assembly Building as it was
named for the Saturn rocket assemblies in the Apollo days.

Peter........

mjt@super.ORG (Michael J. Tighe) (08/09/89)

In article <2681@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:

>You didn't goof. It *is* called the Vertical Assembly Building as it was
>named for the Saturn rocket assemblies in the Apollo days.

I have recently returned from KSC. While there, I decided to
investigate this acronym problem. On all of the maps,
guides, etc., the VAB is called Vehicle Assembly Building.
Not once did I see or hear anyone refer to it as the
Vertical Assembly Building.
--
-------------
Michael Tighe

In article <12696@super.ORG> mjt@super.UUCP (Michael J. Tighe) writes:
>... On all of the [KSC] maps,
>guides, etc., the VAB is called Vehicle Assembly Building.
>Not once did I see or hear anyone refer to it as the
>Vertical Assembly Building.

The change from Vertical to Vehicle came midway through Apollo, so it's
not surprising that the older term has vanished from official sources
by now.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (08/10/89)

In article <12696@super.ORG> mjt@super.UUCP (Michael J. Tighe) writes:
:In article <2681@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
:>
:>You didn't goof. It *is* called the Vertical Assembly Building as it was
:>named for the Saturn rocket assemblies in the Apollo days.
:
:I have recently returned from KSC. While there, I decided to
:investigate this acronym problem. On all of the maps,
:guides, etc., the VAB is called Vehicle Assembly Building.
:Not once did I see or hear anyone refer to it as the
:Vertical Assembly Building.
:--
:-------------
:Michael Tighe
:internet: mjt@super.org
:   uunet: ...!uunet!super!mjt

To repeat, the original name was Vertical Assembly Building, some time
later it was CHANGED to Vehicle Assembly Building.

Lee

"I'm the NRA"

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (08/14/89)

In article <12696@super.ORG> mjt@super.UUCP (Michael J. Tighe) writes:

>guides, etc., the VAB is called Vehicle Assembly Building.
>Not once did I see or hear anyone refer to it as the
>Vertical Assembly Building.
>--

I prefer to call it by its original name from the Apollo years: