[sci.space.shuttle] Enterprise

dschuetz@umd5.umd.edu (David Schuetz) (08/14/89)

In article <1989Aug12.060332.9724@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <2277@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ecf_eig@jhunix (Ian Chesterton) writes:
>>   I understand that the Endeavor (sp?) will cost about $1.2B Whats the
>>   reason for not refitting the Enterprise (as Dale Brown portrayed
>>   in "Silver Tower")? ...
>
>Enterprise is overweight and below spec and generally would have to be
>rebuilt extensively to make it into a flight-ready orbiter.

Just what exactly has happened to the Enterprise orbiter, anyway?  I remember
it being flown around the Washington Beltway (geez, has it been 3 years
already?), and after that, it was on the runway at Dulles Int'l Airport.  I
even saw it there once, from an observation deck.  But this summer we flew
out of Dulles and didn't see it anywhere.  Has it been stowed in a hangar,
finally?

Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) (08/15/89)

"> out of Dulles and didn't see it anywhere.  Has it been
"> stowed in a hangar,
"> finally?

Personally, I would like to see it enshrined in the Air and Space Museum,
and would REALLY like tours of the orbiter or a mockup.

--
Don't trust that map entry.  Try "...peora!tarpit!libcmp!mamab" first.

Fidonet:  Mac Druaidh via 1:363/9
Internet: Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Usenet:  ...!peora!tarpit!libcmp!mamab!69!Mac.Druaidh

dschuetz@umd5.umd.edu (David John Schuetz) (08/18/89)

In article <277.24E8EA7F@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) writes:
>"> out of Dulles and didn't see it anywhere.  Has it been
>"> stowed in a hangar,
>"> finally?
>
>Personally, I would like to see it enshrined in the Air and Space Museum,
>and would REALLY like tours of the orbiter or a mockup.

Well, that was the plan.  They had planned on building an annex to Air and
Space out at Dulles, and they were going to house there the Enterprise, the
Enola Gay (which I've seen--still being restored at their facility in Md.),
a Concorde, and other "big" planes and such.  However, the project has never
been funded right (or something like that).  And I think there's some
political jockeying between Dulles and Balt./Wash. Int'l. airports over who
gets to have the annex.  I wish they'd stop all the sh** and get to work. It
would be a fabulous place.....(maybe they could get an SR-71, too?)

I don't recognize net 363 (is that Texas way?), so I don't know where you are,
but if you ever get to the Washington area for a time, try and visit the
Paul Gerber Facility of Air and Space in Silver Hill, Maryland.  It's a
restoration facility, more like a warehouse, but it's fantastic.  You need to
make an appointment for a tour, and there's a lot of walking involved, but
you'll never forget it....

David Schuetz
Information Services Consultant
University of Maryland, College Park
dschuetz@umd5.umd.edu

ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (08/18/89)

In article <277.24E8EA7F@mamab.FIDONET.ORG>
.....Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) writes:

>Personally, I would like to see it enshrined in the Air and Space Museum,
>and would REALLY like tours of the orbiter or a mockup.

A facility is being built out near Dulles Airport which will house the
Enterprise, as well as other LARGE craft that have been donated to the
National Air and Space Museum over the span of time.  There simply isn't
room in the NASM building that's "on-the-Mall" in D.C.

The new facility *will* be part of the National Air and Space Museum.

Regarding tours inside the craft: I've no information.

				Enjoy!
..!hadron\   "Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?" | Edwin Wiles
  ...!sundc\   Schedule: (n.) An ever changing	| NetExpress Comm., Inc.
   ...!pyrdc\			  nightmare.	| 1953 Gallows Rd. Suite 300
    ...!uunet!netxcom!ewiles			| Vienna, VA 22180

dclemans@mentor.com (Dave Clemans @ APD x1292) (08/18/89)

From article <277.24E8EA7F@mamab.FIDONET.ORG>, by Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh):
> "> out of Dulles and didn't see it anywhere.  Has it been
> "> stowed in a hangar,
> "> finally?
>
> Personally, I would like to see it enshrined in the Air and Space Museum,
> and would REALLY like tours of the orbiter or a mockup.

The last I heard was that NASA had loaned Enterprise to the Smithsonian.
The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum is supposedly planning a major facility
to be built out at Dulles to house the Enterprise and other large air/spacecraft.

dgc

CHEEHH@jane.uh.edu (Rikhit Arora) (08/21/89)

In article <277.24E8EA7F@mamab.FIDONET.ORG>, Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) writes:

> Personally, I would like to see it enshrined in the Air and Space Museum,
> and would REALLY like tours of the orbiter or a mockup.

The place to see a shuttle mockup is building 9A at JSC, here in Houston.
While the mockup is off-limits to the usual tourist, one can arrange for
special tours.  We (The University Space Society, Univ. of Houston)
arranged such a tour last spring and got to see the Shuttle Static 1-g
trainer up close.  The tour guide split us into groups of 5 and let us
enter the crew compartment throught the circular hatch and spend about
15 minutes inside living out our fantasies.  I must say sitting for even
a few minutes in the left hand seat was quite a thrill!
The other stops in the tour included Mission Control, the WET-F (Weightless
Environment Training Facility), Skylab mockup, etc.  We were promised the
space station Freedom mockup but they reneged at the last moment.
We plan on arranging another tour sometime soon.  So, anyone out there who
would like to join us is welcome.  Or you can arrange for your own tour.
They prefer you limit your group to 22 people (so everyone can fit into
the tour van) and give a list of all non-citizens planning on being on
this trip about 2-3 weeks in advance.  (Paranoia if you ask me)  Call the
Public Affairs Office at JSC for more details.
Rikhit Arora                         |  Dept. of Chemical Engineering
Bitnet: cheehh@uhupvm1               |  University of Houston
Internet: cheehh@jane.uh.edu         |  Houston, TX 77204-4792

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (08/21/89)

In article <277.24E8EA7F@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) writes:

>and would REALLY like tours of the orbiter or a mockup.

The Shuttle "Pathfinder", which was used for fitting purposes is on
display at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama. It is
mounted horizontally on an External tank with 2 SBR's.

Peter Jarvis........