[sci.space.shuttle] ``frequency tests''

dworkin@Solbourne.COM (Dieter Muller) (08/05/89)

What exactly is an ``engine frequency response test''?  From context, I
assume it has something to do with the speed at which various controls
can be operated, but that doesn't sound right.

Thanks.

Dieter

--
"Your spatial laws are ok, but God, the choices you give us." -- Deborah Blau
boulder!stan!dworkin  dworkin%stan@boulder.colorado.edu  dworkin@solbourne.com

kenobi%lightsabre@Sun.COM (Rick Kwan) (08/25/89)

In article <1862@salgado.Solbourne.COM> dworkin@Solbourne.COM (Dieter Muller) writes:
>What exactly is an ``engine frequency response test''?  From context, I
>assume it has something to do with the speed at which various controls
>can be operated, but that doesn't sound right.

If anyone cares to contradict me, send me some mail.  What follows
is based on some reading of eons ago about some other project.

An engine has a certain natural frequency.  Varying its thrust will
cause it to vibrate at varying frequencies.  If the thrust-induced
frequency hits the natural frequency, the engine stands a chance of
flying apart.

	Rick Kwan (aka Obi-Kwan Kenobi)
	Sun Microsystems - Intercon
	kenobi@sun.COM