[sci.space.shuttle] Can the shuttle move at all?

ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (09/08/89)

Hello all!  A question has just occurred to me.  I know that the
shuttle is incapable of getting off the ground itself, without
the boosters and the external tank.

BUT, Could it move itself around on the ground by using the
Oribtal Maneuvering System?

"Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?"		| Edwin Wiles
Schedule: (n.) An ever changing nightmare.	| NetExpress Comm., Inc.
..!uunet!netxcom!ewiles (I'm certain!)		| 1953 Gallows Rd. Suite 300
OR ewiles@iad-nxe.global-mis.DHL.COM (I think!)	| Vienna, VA 22182

In article <1435@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>BUT, Could it move itself around on the ground by using the
>Oribtal Maneuvering System?

Maybe a little bit; the thrust isn't very high.  On the other hand, it
doesn't take a whole lot to move something like that with the brakes off.

Do remember that the exhaust would be highly poisonous.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu