[sci.space.shuttle] Did Challenger Happen?

conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) (08/24/89)

I recently went around ``Spaceport USA'' at KSC, and I noticed
that among all the exhibits there was not a single mention of
the Challenger disaster. I've also heard since that it is illegal
to show the film of the disaster in America. Is this true?

Are all Americans ostriches (heads in the sand), or just NASA?
--
Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd. UK: conor@inmos.co.uk
Disclaimer: All views are my own,         US: @col.hp.com:conor@inmos-c

msmith@hardees.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (08/25/89)

It is certainly not illegal to show the film on the crash.  In fact,
on the day of the crash, I saw news flashes all afternoon long, and
they replayed the explosion so many times, that I never want to see it
again.

However, I think you'll find that not many people want to see the
crash again.

Mark
--
Mark Smith     |  "Be careful when looking into the distance,       |All Rights
61 Tenafly Road|that you do not miss what is right under your nose."| Reserved

watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson) (08/25/89)

In article <1904@brwa.inmos.co.uk> conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
> I recently went around ``Spaceport USA'' at KSC, and I noticed
> that among all the exhibits there was not a single mention of
> the Challenger disaster. I've also heard since that it is illegal
> to show the film of the disaster in America. Is this true?
>
> Are all Americans ostriches (heads in the sand), or just NASA?

Challenger?  What disaster?
Maybe your thinking of an old TWILLIGHT ZONE episode.

(Wasn't there one about an experimental spacecraft that disappears,
then comes back 24 hours later and crashes?   And the three astronauts
disappear one by one, and nobody remembers them after they disapper.
And finally it's like they never existed in ther first place.)

Seriously, I saw that ABC is doing a made for TV move about the Challenger,
staring my favorite actress of all time ... Karen Allen.

Or maybe I just dreamed the whole thing.

John S. Watson, Civil Servant from Hell        ARPA: watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center                      UUCP:  ...!ames!watson
Any opinions expressed herein are, like, solely the responsibility of the, like,
author and do not, like, represent the opinions of NASA or the U.S. Government.

wasg@diomedes.rice.edu (Eric Salituro) (08/25/89)

In article <1904@brwa.inmos.co.uk> conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
>I recently went around ``Spaceport USA'' at KSC, and I noticed
>that among all the exhibits there was not a single mention of
>the Challenger disaster. I've also heard since that it is illegal
>to show the film of the disaster in America. Is this true?

That's funny, I was there a year ago, and can remember at least a couple of
mentions of the disaster.

There is a dedication to the Challenger crew in _The Dream Is Alive_, the
IMAX movie that was being shown at the time.
In the foyer of the visitor's center, there was an exhibit of the winning
entry in the Challenger Memorial competition.
I could swear that the tour guide mentioned that the shuttle sitting on the
pad at the time was going to be America's return to space after the accident.

>Are all Americans ostriches (heads in the sand), or just NASA?

Not at all, in fact a TV movie about the crew of Challenger is in production
as we speak. They did some shooting here at JSC a couple of months ago.
This is not a .signature line...	Eric Salituro @ Rice University
					Houston TX 77251-1892
					(713) 527-8101 x2474
Life is like a metaphor.		INTERNET: wasg@rice.edu

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (08/25/89)

In article <1904@brwa.inmos.co.uk>, conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
> I've also heard since that it is illegal to show the film of the disaster
> in America. Is this true?

It is not illegal to show films of any news event on USA TV.  In fact, the
prohibition of showing any such film would be in violation of the U.S.
Constitution, and the US Courts would quickly rule against any US law
enforcement agency that tried to suppress such footage.

Furthermore, US government film footage (and any other kind of media)
is not protected by copyright.  Once the footage gets out into the public,
the government cannot even call it back based on copyright grounds.
Anyone can make duplicates and even sell them for profit!

They most certainly cannot, therefore, claim copyright on news events, even
if they are highly involved in the event.

Anyone can keep secrets (even if the law forbids such secrets) and there is
no way to guarantee that US agencies are not keeping secrets.  But once the
US "leaks" a secret, it cannot be suppressed.  This was tested in the so
called "Pentagon Papers" case, where top secret documents were leaked to
the press and published in a newspaper serial.  The courts ruled that the
government could not even stop the publication of those secrets, and at best
could only go after the newspaper AFTER publication.

In conclusion, the only way to suppress information in the US is not to let
the media find out about it.  Once it does, the cat is out of the bag.

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428  -
- logajan@ns.network.com / ...rutgers!umn-cs!ns!logajan / john@logajan.mn.org -

mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) (08/25/89)

In article <932@brazos.Rice.edu> wasg@diomedes.rice.edu (Eric Salituro) writes:
>Not at all, in fact a TV movie about the crew of Challenger is in production
>as we speak. They did some shooting here at JSC a couple of months ago.

Which only goes to show that Americans have extremely poor taste. :-)

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (08/25/89)

<
Salituro) writes:
< >Not at all, in fact a TV movie about the crew of Challenger is in production
< >as we speak. They did some shooting here at JSC a couple of months ago.
<
< Which only goes to show that Americans have extremely poor taste. :-)

Make that "American television producers."
I don't like to be pigeon-holed with everyone else. 8-)
_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

kev@ist.CO.UK (Kev Holmes) (08/25/89)

From article <1904@brwa.inmos.co.uk>, by conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill):
> I recently went around ``Spaceport USA'' at KSC, and I noticed
> that among all the exhibits there was not a single mention of
> the Challenger disaster. I've also heard since that it is illegal
> to show the film of the disaster in America. Is this true?

You obviously missed out on the IMAX which was dedicated to the memory
of the Challenger 7.  I also recall seeing a plaque of rememberance
listing all who have died in the US space effort (i.e. Apollo 1 etc).

> Are all Americans ostriches (heads in the sand), or just NASA?

Yow! Are you trying to incite a flame war, or did you drink too much at
lunchtime? 'Ostriches' are not restricted to any one country.

> --
> Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd. UK: conor@inmos.co.uk

Kev Holmes     kev@ist.CO.UK | disney, diz'nee, v.t.
Imperial Software Technology |   to queue excessively for a very short ride
Reading, Royal Berkshire, UK |   [prob S.E. & S.W. U.S.]

jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) (08/25/89)

In article <3687@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
>In article <17591@ut-emx.UUCP>, mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>< In article <932@brazos.Rice.edu> wasg@diomedes.rice.edu (Eric
>Salituro) writes:
>< >Not at all, in fact a TV movie about the crew of Challenger is in production
>< >as we speak. They did some shooting here at JSC a couple of months ago.
>< Which only goes to show that Americans have extremely poor taste. :-)
>Make that "American television producers."

Nope.  All you can say about television *producers* is that they
have a demonstrably accurate perception of the tastes of television
*consumers*.  If it didn't sell, they wouldn't do it.

The "americans/poor taste" comment is of course a generalization,
but doesn't it wear you down seeing how accurate it is, by and large?

A slightly related comment:
I was doing a radio call-in show last week talking about Neptune, etc.
and a caller asked:  why go to Neptune, when you don't even know
anything about it, when you can find out something *definite* by
going to mars and checking out that face?

Argh...
--
Jeff Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu)

scott@bbxeng.UUCP (Engineering) (08/25/89)

In article <17591@ut-emx.UUCP> mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>In article <932@brazos.Rice.edu> wasg@diomedes.rice.edu (Eric Salituro) writes:
>>Not at all, in fact a TV movie about the crew of Challenger is in production
>>as we speak. They did some shooting here at JSC a couple of months ago.
>
>Which only goes to show that Americans have extremely poor taste. :-)

I second that.  I have grown rather tired of watching the Challenger explode.
Everytime I see a film clip of a space shuttle anymore, I brace myself for
the explosion.  If it doesn't explode, I think "Well that must've been the
one that made it".

While there are obviously important lessons to learn from the Challenger
accident I don't see the point in wallowing in it.  I don't believe that
a movie about Challenger is seriously intended to "honor" the victims
as much as it is intended to cash in on America's perverse desire to
re-live bad experiences.  Now, if the movie intends to expose the
corruption and bad management that led to the accident - that's a
different matter entirely.  :-)

--

---------------------------------------
Scott Amspoker

hhd0@GTE.COM (Horace Dediu) (08/26/89)

In article <1904@brwa.inmos.co.uk>, conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
> the Challenger disaster. I've also heard since that it is illegal
> to show the film of the disaster in America. Is this true?
>
> Are all Americans ostriches (heads in the sand), or just NASA?
> Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd. UK: conor@inmos.co.uk
> Disclaimer: All views are my own,         US: @col.hp.com:conor@inmos-c
>             not those of INMOS.
> "It's state-of-the-art" "But it doesn't work!" "That is the state-of-the-art".

Are all Britons ostriches?
Illegal?  I suggest our British friend remove his head from the sand.  This
country has no such laws.  I can invite the world over to my house to watch
the Challenger disaster on TV.  It's been replayed thousands of times on
nationwide TV.  This is not the People's Rebulic!  Who ever gave you this
notion?  Statist totalitarians of the far left fringe?

That NASA will not advertise its failures is their business.  If I were in
charge of KSC I would not have a "disaster" exhibit.  We don't want to
depress the righteous tax payers and have them call representatives and tell
them how bad we are.  Public Relations, you know.
--
Horace Dediu            Goodbye, cruel world.                 GTE Laboratories
(617) 466-4111          #cd /;rm -Rf * &                      40 Sylvan Road

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (08/26/89)

In article <1904@brwa.inmos.co.uk> conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
>I recently went around ``Spaceport USA'' at KSC, and I noticed
>that among all the exhibits there was not a single mention of
>the Challenger disaster. I've also heard since that it is illegal
>to show the film of the disaster in America. Is this true?
>
>Are all Americans ostriches (heads in the sand), or just NASA?
>--
>Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd. UK: conor@inmos.co.uk
>Disclaimer: All views are my own,         US: @col.hp.com:conor@inmos-c
>            not those of INMOS.
>"It's state-of-the-art" "But it doesn't work!" "That is the state-of-the-art".

I'm a bit surprised there isn't some sort of memorial, but then again,
how many times to you see memorials to Apollo 1, hmmm?  That was just
as much a 'disaster' as the Challenger blowing up, or the HUNDREDS of
fatal accidents that occur in experimantal aviation.

Thomas C. Murphy                  Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
Internet:   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu
BITNET:     TMURPHY@WPI           BIX:  tmurphy
CompuServe: 73766,130

reb@squid.rtech.com (Richard Baum (*-= REB=-*)) (08/26/89)

In article <1904@brwa.inmos.co.uk> conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
>I recently went around ``Spaceport USA'' at KSC, and I noticed
>that among all the exhibits there was not a single mention of
>the Challenger disaster. I've also heard since that it is illegal
>to show the film of the disaster in America. Is this true?

It would be unconstitutional to prohibit the showing of the film. Your
facts are wrong.  It's been shown on TV here numerous times. As to the
mention - or lack thereof - at KSC, that's NASA's business. I thought
they had some kind of memorial.
                                                reb

This net's for   Internet: reb@rtech.COM  or  reb%rtech.com@lll-winken.llnl.GOV
***YOU***!       homeSMail: 861 Washington Ave Westwood, NJ 07675 h:201-666-9207

    This message has been sponsored by D.A.M.  -  Mothers Against Dyslexia

In article <713@larry.sal.wisc.edu>, jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:

|  The "americans/poor taste" comment is of course a generalization,
|  but doesn't it wear you down seeing how accurate it is, by and large?

  There are enough Americans that a lot of tastes are present. Consider
that we have our government on live TV every day (CSPAN), three
educational cable TV channels (Discover and two I don't get), NPR
(National Public Radio) and PBS (Public Broadcasting Service). Most
areas (even Schenectady) have several public TV stations (for
non-residents, public radio/TV is supported by people who can listen for
free sending in money because they like the station. Like shareware).

  There are people with poor taste, bad taste, and no taste at all in
the usa, but there is a lot of good taste here, too. This country
manages to support private museums, libraries, etc, because people here
are willing to pay to see quality. Tell me which other countries have
the government on TV daily, or have educational broadcasting supported
by the viewers. Short list, isn't it.
that the world is flat!" - anon

mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) (08/26/89)

In article <190@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <713@larry.sal.wisc.edu>, jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>
>|  The "americans/poor taste" comment is of course a generalization,
>|  but doesn't it wear you down seeing how accurate it is, by and large?
>
>  There are enough Americans that a lot of tastes are present. Consider
>that we have our government on live TV every day (CSPAN),

Yeah, but CSPAN is always barely breaking even (and almost went off the air,
permanently, a couple of years ago--but then again, I'm continually amazed
that the Weather Channel stays in business, too :-)).  And as far as it
providing unadulturated wisdom, I always get a chuckle when the impassioned
Senator, calling out challenges to the gallery, always turns out to be
addressing an empty room.  I strongly oppose televising House, Senate, or any
judicial activities.  It cheapens everyone involved.

>educational cable TV channels (Discover and two I don't get),

More winners, barely breaking even.

>PBS (Public Broadcasting Service).

I noticed that PBS did not deign to pre-empt Sesame Street this morning with
more Voyager broadcasts.

> etc, etc.

All of which does not deny the fact that the dramatization of the Challenger
schlock will be watched by 50 million people.  And will probably be aired
during "sweeps," in which other major competitors will attempt to air even
more lurid tales (hey, maybe there'll even be a 48-hour miniseries on Nazi gas
chambers--boy, won't THAT be a change).  Altogether, on such a distinguished
night, you'll find 120-150 million people watching CRAP.  And the next night,
you'll probably find the other half of the population. :-)

Oh, and maybe two or three million watching/listening to all the other services
you described COMBINED.

Yeah, there's a lot of diversity in the United States.  But when one talks
about popular culture, the couch potatos run the asylum.

>This country
>manages to support private museums, libraries, etc,

Just barely, sir!

>because people here
>are willing to pay to see quality. Tell me which other countries have
>the government on TV daily, or have educational broadcasting supported
>by the viewers. Short list, isn't it.

I can name countries which don't have such services--but which do have what
appear to be better-educated people, less shallow people.  Gosh, what irony,
eh?

Now, the typical reply to such a post is to sing a few bars of "My country
'tis of Thee" and quote from a document which nobody apparently has ever read,
the US Constitution...  I wonder how many we'll get to see THIS time? :-)

Cheers,

Robert Dorsett
Internet: mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!walt.cc.utexas.edu!mentat

arul@sdsu.edu (Arul Ananthanarayanan) (08/26/89)

>In article <1904@brwa.inmos.co.uk> conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
>>I recently went around ``Spaceport USA'' at KSC, and I noticed
>>that among all the exhibits there was not a single mention of
>>the Challenger disaster. I've also heard since that it is illegal
>>to show the film of the disaster in America. Is this true?
>>
>>Are all Americans ostriches (heads in the sand), or just NASA?
>>--
>>Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd. UK: conor@inmos.co.uk

I was at Spaceport USA on August 10th a few days after the recent launch.

There is bronzed eagle monument to the ten astronauts who died. (Challenger
and Apollo)

The Imax theater presentation was dedicated to the Challenger crew.

There were various other references too; pictures of the crew in the gift
shop and such.  I didn't get the impression that they were trying to hide
anything.

The crawler transport was out and about on the way back from 39A (or B?),
pretty exciting stuff.

Arul

--
  INTERNET: arul@sdsu.edu          	   	work: (619) 594-7207
  UUCP:     ....!ucsd!sdsu!arul              	home: (619) 583-0439

leech@alanine.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (08/27/89)

In article <7471@bunny.GTE.COM> hhd0@GTE.COM (Horace Dediu) writes:
>Are all Britons ostriches?
>Illegal?  I suggest our British friend remove his head from the sand.	This
>country has no such laws.  I can invite the world over to my house to watch
>the Challenger disaster on TV.  It's been replayed thousands of times on
>nationwide TV.  This is not the People's Rebulic!  Who ever gave you this
>notion?  Statist totalitarians of the far left fringe?

    Yeah, right.  The US would *never* censor anyone.  Except maybe by
denying their NEA funding, or not admitting foreign artists with
politically incorrect views in, or...
    Followups to talk.politics.misc.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``You're everything I ever wanted in a human AND an extraterrestrial.''

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (08/27/89)

In article <17591@ut-emx.UUCP> mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>In article <932@brazos.Rice.edu> wasg@diomedes.rice.edu (Eric Salituro) writes:
>>Not at all, in fact a TV movie about the crew of Challenger is in production
>Which only goes to show that Americans have extremely poor taste. :-)

And how.  A friend of mine got a part in it, and I wasn't sure I wanted
to talk to him afterward.  As a favor I'm withholding judgement and will
watch it to see, but YUCK!  Give it a rest.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 890952  Houston, Texas  77289

Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) (08/27/89)

"> I'm a bit surprised there isn't some sort of memorial, but
"> then again,
"> how many times to you see memorials to Apollo 1, hmmm?

There are memorials to killed workers, astronauts, and the like on the Space
Coast; I will attempt to find out info on same and return to the
conversation.

--
Don't trust that map entry.  Try "...peora!tarpit!libcmp!mamab" first.

Fidonet:  Mac Druaidh via 1:363/9
Internet: Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Usenet:  ...!peora!tarpit!libcmp!mamab!69!Mac.Druaidh

Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) (08/27/89)

"> film. Your
"> facts are wrong.  It's been shown on TV here numerous
"> times. As to the

It sure has.  CNN rolled it every 5 minutes the day it happened.  I was home
that day, and had just awakened to see the launch.  Augh.

--

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (08/27/89)

> In article <1904@brwa.inmos.co.uk> conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
> > I recently went around ``Spaceport USA'' at KSC, and I noticed
> > that among all the exhibits there was not a single mention of
> > the Challenger disaster. I've also heard since that it is illegal
> > to show the film of the disaster in America. Is this true?

 Not so!  I was there yesterday and saw at least two references to the
Challenger disaster :
  In the Galaxy center, adjacent to the "applications of space
technology" display, there is a memorial to all of those who have died
while working in the space program, including the Challenger crew.
  The introduction to the IMAX film in the Galaxy theater, the fact that
several of the Challenger crew appear in and contribute to the film is
clearly pointed out, and in fact the film is dedicated to the Challenger
crew. (It is, by the way, an INCREDIBLE film!!!!)

  Scott Denham
    Houston, TX

bei@elephant.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) (08/28/89)

I just watched the Korean Air Lines docudrama on one of the cable pay
channels.  It isn't the best example of made-for-TV oversimplification,
but the formula it follows is likely the one the Challenger special will
obey.  Picture this:  some clips of the explosion, for background in case
you were thinking of some other Challenger disaster.  Then some scenes with
policy disagreements, probably over sending Christa McAuliffe up.  Expect
some photogenic aerospace engineer to spend some time pondering whether the
shuttle is ready to fly.  He'll roll over when an actor doing a real soap
opera backstabbing slimeball at either NASA or M-T shoots him down.
The truth about the way it happened would make poor television.  The movie
"Taps" has the military school commandant answer a confused cadet's question
about how someone could close the school by saying, "With the stroke of a pen."
Well, NASA and Thiokol managers doomed Challenger with the stroke of a
speakerphone.  They conference-called those 7 people to death.  The reality
of how small the thinking behind the launch decision will be overplayed, so
that the people buying the Enquirer will understand it.  Subtlety has no
place on commercial television.

--- Bob

Bob Izenberg, Brandon Consulting [ ] {backbone!}(nsscb,attctc,cbis3)!bei

jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu (Jay C. Smith) (08/28/89)

In article <17643@ut-emx.UUCP> mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett)
writes:
>I can name countries which don't have such services--but which do have what
>appear to be better-educated people, less shallow people.  Gosh, what irony,
>eh?

Please name the countries.

--
"Good.  For a minute I thought we were in trouble."
Jay C. Smith                      uucp:     ...!mcnc!ncsuvx!ncspm!jay

sanderso@rpics (Donald B. Sanderson) (08/28/89)

In article <334.24F7EF42@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) writes:
>There are memorials to killed workers, astronauts, and the like on the Space
>Coast; I will attempt to find out info on same and return to the
>conversation.

 A rather impressive memorial to the Challenger 7 is planned (in construction?).
It will consist of a Dark Slab of rock, through which the names of the
astronauts have been drilled.  The slab will be elevated with a mirror
behind it, and a motor drive that will follow the sun.  Thus the names will
glow with the light from the sky they were reaching for.  This is to be
located somwhere in the KSC complex, but I do not know where.
 This memorial is being erected by the people of Florida, specifically
those of us who pay the extra fee each year for a Challenger Memorial
License Plate. The rest of the funds generated by these plates are used to
to fund college scholarships.
 I have hade one fo these plates since they first became available I like
to think of it as a mobile memorial. It is a conversation starter
(Especially while I am out of State), and let's me get a pro space
point or two across when I am asked about it.

| Donald Sanderson				sanderso@turing.cs.rpi.edu    |
| RPI Computer Science Department		(518) 276-8326		      |
| In the Final Analysis Each Student is Responsible for his/her Own Education |

mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) (08/29/89)

In article <1803@ncspm.ncsu.edu> jay@ncspm.ncsu.EDU (Jay C. Smith) writes:
>In article <17643@ut-emx.UUCP> mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett)
>writes:
>>I can name countries which don't have such services--but which do have what
>>appear to be better-educated people, less shallow people.  Gosh, what irony,
>>eh?
>
>Please name the countries.

Austria, Switzerland, Japan, the Netherlands, Yugoslavia, Israel, West
Germany, Australia, Palestine (gov't in exile), etc.

There are, undoubtedly, more.  If you wanted a scientific sampling, we could
look at various characteristics, such as education (up to 30% illiteracy rate
in the United States, the worst of the Western powers, political involvement,
economic output, etc.  Surveys show that 99% of the population can't name
their representatives to Congress, the Secretary of State, Secretary of
Defense, and other prominent figures.  A hell of a lot of us seem to think
that Judge Wapner is a member of the US Supreme Court.

We're running on fumes.

Robert Dorsett
Internet: mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!walt.cc.utexas.edu!mentat

jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu (Jay C. Smith) (08/29/89)

Noticed you changed the distribution on the follow-up to "usa."

In article <17772@ut-emx.UUCP> mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett)
writes:
>>In article <17643@ut-emx.UUCP> mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett)
>>writes:
>>>I can name countries which don't have such services--but which do have what
>>>appear to be better-educated people, less shallow people.  Gosh, what irony,
>>>eh?
>
>Austria, Switzerland, Japan, the Netherlands, Yugoslavia, Israel, West
>Germany, Australia, Palestine (gov't in exile), etc.

All countries with a very high degree of cultural single-mindedness and an
almost complete lack of diversity among their citizens when compared to the
US.  One can say that there is an "appearance" of being better-educated and
less shallow, but it certainly depends on one's frame of reference.  Literacy
rates may be one measure of these perceived qualities, but I can't think of
how to measure the education involved in exposure to diversity.

>A hell of a lot of us seem to think
>that Judge Wapner is a member of the US Supreme Court.
>
>We're running on fumes.

"Us?"  "We?"  Include me out, and stop reading USA Today!  :-)

--

Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) (08/29/89)

">  This memorial is being erected by the people of Florida,
"> specifically
"> those of us who pay the extra fee each year for a
"> Challenger Memorial
"> License Plate. The rest of the funds generated by these

I have mine.  A while back, the parents of one of the astronauts killed on
Challenger were going through parking lots in Florida, leaving thank-you
cards on cars with the tags.

--

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (09/09/89)

In article <346.24FB5796@mamab.FIDONET.ORG>, Mac.Druaidh@f69.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mac Druaidh) writes:
> ">  This memorial is being erected by the people of Florida, specifically
> "> those of us who pay the extra fee each year for a Challenger Memorial
> "> License Plate. The rest of the funds generated by these
> I have mine.  A while back, the parents of one of the astronauts killed on
> Challenger were going through parking lots in Florida, leaving thank-you
> cards on cars with the tags.

(I've tried sending mail, and it bounced)

Can non-Florida residents get one of these plates for hanging on a wall?
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA 508-626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu