[sci.space.shuttle] shuttle landing

doyle@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Matt Doyle, 408-437-5284) (10/05/88)

I haven't seen this question asked yet so I'll stick my neck out..

why were there two sonic booms when the STS passed over head when landing
and not one?? I heard the news casters telling people to prepare for the
double sonic boom, so I assume that it is normal.

---
These are my opinions (would you wan't them??)

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (10/06/88)

In article <69@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com> doyle@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Matt Doyle, 408-437-5284) writes:
>I haven't seen this question asked yet so I'll stick my neck out..
>why were there two sonic booms when the STS passed over head when landing
>and not one?? I heard the news casters telling people to prepare for the
>double sonic boom, so I assume that it is normal.

If I remember correctly, the double sonic booms are caused by the
aerodynamics of our lovable 200 ton flying brick :-)  Seems that there
is one sonic shock wave (aka sonic boom) from the nose of the orbiter,
and another from the tail (rudder?).

It was interesting to see the crowd reaction to the double boom.  Many
cheered and pointed, but one or two seemed to be ducking for cover.  I
will say that (on TV anyway) that was the clearest and loudest re-entry
I have seen.

Was anyone out there in person (envy, envy, envy)?

dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) (10/07/88)

In article <69@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com>, doyle@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Matt Doyle, 408-437-5284) writes:
> why were there two sonic booms when the STS passed over head when landing
> and not one?? I heard the news casters telling people to prepare for the
> double sonic boom, so I assume that it is normal.

It's normal for supersonic aircraft.  There's a bow shock and a tail
shock.
--

			David Smith
			HP Labs

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/07/88)

In article <69@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com>, doyle@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Matt Doyle, 408-437-5284) writes:

> I haven't seen this question asked yet so I'll stick my neck out..
>
> why were there two sonic booms when the STS passed over head when landing
> and not one?? I heard the news casters telling people to prepare for the
> double sonic boom, so I assume that it is normal.

This is normal for supersonic aircraft (and spacecraft, too :} ).

There are a number of distinct shockwaves forming from parts of
the airframe, the (by far) largest being from the nose and tail.

Until a supersonic craft is a loong distance from the listener,
you normally hear two closely-spaced booms, the timing being
somewhat variable, depending on the speed of the craft, its
length, atomospheric conditions, ...

greg@proxftl.UUCP (Gregory N. Hullender) (10/07/88)

In article <69@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com> doyle@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Matt Doyle, 408-437-5284) writes:
>why were there two sonic booms when the STS passed over head when landing
>and not one?? I heard the news casters telling people to prepare for the
>double sonic boom, so I assume that it is normal.

I think it's one from the nose and one from the tail.

When I went to Edwards to watch STS-1 land, the announcers were telling
people to listen for ONE sonic boom, but one of the engineering students
with our group kept saying "TWO sonic booms, TWO!" and he turned out to
be right.  Anyway, that was his explanation, and I've been repeating it
for years now.
--
		Greg Hullender  uflorida!novavax!proxftl!greg
		3511 NE 22nd Ave / Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308

	    My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer.

hulse@iris.ucdavis.edu (C.A. Hulse) (09/12/89)

Are the landing dates for the upcoming shuttle flights posted?  I'd like
to break free and go watch one either in October or December...

Also, could some kind soul give any good advice on going about this? Is
it as hard to find a good vantage point as the launch?

Thanks in advance,

Andy Hulse

"Just my (own) two cents..."

In article <5303@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> hulse@iris.ucdavis.edu writes:
>Are the landing dates for the upcoming shuttle flights posted?  I'd like
>to break free and go watch one either in October or December...

One problem with watching shuttle landings is that both time and site are
subject to change on very short notice, even after launch.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu