[sci.space.shuttle] Vandenburg

hwt@.uucp (Henry Troup) (09/20/89)

In article <1989Sep14.161150.25944@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>thoroughly mothballed and would be quite expensive to revive.  Much of the
>support equipment has dispersed to other uses, the skilled crews have done
>likewise, and in general the USAF has completely lost interest.

Are we using mothballed as a polite term for abandoned ?  It seems to
me that the picture of I have of mothballed is 'put away with some
thought for reactivation' - not canibilized!
utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not       | All that evil requires
hwt@bnr.ca (BITNET/NETNORTH)         | responsible for  | is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)               | my opinions      | nothing.

In article <251@bmers58.UUCP> bnr-public!bmerh490!hwt writes:
>>thoroughly mothballed and would be quite expensive to revive...
>
>Are we using mothballed as a polite term for abandoned ?  It seems to
>me that the picture of I have of mothballed is 'put away with some
>thought for reactivation' - not canibilized!

Nothing has actually been torn down, although portable equipment has been
moved elsewhere so it can be useful.  In principle reviving the Vandenberg
pad would be straightforward:  a large influx of people and minor bits of
equipment, and a fair bit of work to sweep the cobwebs :-) off the fixed
stuff.  In practice, "mothballed" in this connection *means* "abandoned".
The site could be revived but won't be.  It would probably have been
scrapped, rather than just mothballed, were it not for the political
uproar that would have resulted.
--
"Where is D.D. Harriman now,   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
when we really *need* him?"    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dal@tasmania.micro.umn.edu (David A. Larsen) (09/20/89)

In article <251@bmers58.UUCP>, hwt@.uucp (Henry Troup) writes:
> In article <1989Sep14.161150.25944@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >thoroughly mothballed and would be quite expensive to revive.  Much of the
> >support equipment has dispersed to other uses, the skilled crews have done
> >likewise, and in general the USAF has completely lost interest.

I heard from a pretty reliable source that they are converting that pad
to a Titan 4 pad. In addition the USAF ( or military in general) plans
to use the Titan 4's for most, if not all, of their payloads.

BTW I stood on that a few years ago. It is amazing how BIG every
thing is.

Dave Larsen
dal@boombox.micro.umn.edu

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (09/21/89)

In article <118@tasmania.micro.umn.edu> dal@tasmania.micro.umn.edu (David A. Larsen) writes:

>I heard from a pretty reliable source that they are converting that pad
>to a Titan 4 pad. In addition the USAF ( or military in general) plans
>to use the Titan 4's for most, if not all, of their payloads.

From AW&ST (July 17, p.34):

"Complex 4E will be completed for Titan 4 at Vandenberg in about a year,
Cogliatore [Titan 4 programme director] said. The second West Coast Titan 4
pad - Complex 6/7 - will be on line in the mid 1990s, he said".

As it was SLC 6 ("slick six") that the shuttle was to use, I guess
that's about it for the West Coast shuttle. Current USAF motto seems to
be "rather a straight eight than a slick six" :-)

Nick

--
Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND