[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Status for 09/25/89

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (09/25/89)

            KSC SPACE SHUTTLE PROCESSING REPORT - MONDAY, SEPT. 25, 1989

                       STS-34  -  ATLANTIS (OV 104) - PAD 39-B

               This weekend, workers successfully replaced a quick
          disconnect for auxiliary power unit number one. A leak was
          discovered at the disconnect when hydrazine was being loaded
          aboard the orbiter about two weeks ago. The disconnect is between
          the fill line and the APU 1 fuel tank in the orbiter's aft
          compartment.

               Early this morning, the payload bay doors were opened.
          Preparations are underway to perform a partial interface
          verification test to recertify electrical and data connections
          between the Galileo/Inertial Upper Stage with the shuttle and
          ground support systems.

               Today, workers will verify connections between the launch
          pad, orbiter and launch platform. Preparations are underway for
          the first part of ordnance operations. The pad will be cleared
          between midnight and 8 a.m. tomorrow for this activity.
          Wednesday, the power reactant storage and distribution system
          dewars at the launch pad will be filled with liquid hydrogen and
          liquid oxygen.

               Launch remains targeted for Oct. 12 at 1:29 p.m. Eastern
          Time. The official launch date will be set at the conclusion of
          the Flight Readiness Review scheduled for Oct. 2-3 here at KSC.

                     STS-33  -  DISCOVERY (OV 103)  -  OPF BAY 1

               The payload bay is ready for cleaning operations with
          rollover to the Vehicle Assembly Building scheduled for less than
          two weeks away. Hydraulic operations are planned this week
          including a final cycle of the aerosurfaces and a brake anti-skid
          test.  A flight pressurization test of the main propulsion system
          helium system is scheduled Thursday. Redundancy tests of the
          orbiter's systems were performed Saturday.

                       STS-32 - COLUMBIA (OV 102) - OPF BAY 2

               As a result of the inadvertant activation of the firex water
          deluge system yesterday, workers are conducting detailed
          inspections and assessments of all areas of Columbia today.
          Cleanup activities are also underway. An investigation board has
          been named to determine the cause of the incident.

                         STS-33 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB

               Technicians are closing out the joints on the right and left
          boosters for flight. Preparations to mate the external tank are
          underway for first shift tomorrow. Alignment measurements were
          taken of the solid rocket boosters this weekend.

                         STS-32 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB

               The left aft booster was stacked over the weekend and
          workers are connecting the umbilicals today.  The left aft center
          segment is scheduled for stacking the end of the week.

mechtjm@tness7.UUCP (Tom Mecke ) (09/26/89)

In article <32507@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>               As a result of the inadvertant activation of the firex water
>          deluge system yesterday, workers are conducting detailed
>          inspections and assessments of all areas of Columbia today.
>          Cleanup activities are also underway. An investigation board has
>          been named to determine the cause of the incident.

What does this system do?

fireman@tippy.uucp (09/26/89)

Fire sprinkler system.

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (09/27/89)

In article <238@tness7.UUCP> mechtjm@tness7.UUCP (Tom Mecke (512+222-7018)) writes:
>In article <32507@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>>               As a result of the inadvertant activation of the firex water
>>          deluge system yesterday, workers are conducting detailed

>What does this system do?

It sits around quietly for ten years or so.  Then, when you least
expect it, it dumps 10-year-old water onto your spacecraft.  Just
to see if you were paying attention.

Seriously, it is basically just a sprinkler system.  My friend in
contamination control at the cape says there is some concern that
the water had become acidic from sitting in the piping since it
was installed, but other than that it shouldn't be a big deal.

If the payload bay doors had been open though ...

I haven't heard the real deal, but the way the news was talking
made it sound like some meathead did this rather than good old
mechanical failure.  Anyone know the whole story?
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 270249  Houston, Texas  77277

dsmith@hplabsb.HP.COM (David Smith) (09/28/89)

In article <15035@nuchat.UUCP> steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:
>Seriously, it is basically just a sprinkler system.  My friend in
>contamination control at the cape says there is some concern that
>the water had become acidic from sitting in the piping since it
>was installed, but other than that it shouldn't be a big deal.

I had presumed that there would be concern that if water soaked into
the tiles, and didn't fully evaporate before re-entry, that flash
evaporation could break tiles.  I had read of such concerns before
with respect to the shuttle sitting out in the rain.  Is this truly
a concern, or am I all wet?  :-)
--

			David R. Smith, HP Labs
			dsmith@hplabs.hp.com

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (09/28/89)

In article <5442@hplabsb.HP.COM> dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) writes:
>I had presumed that there would be concern that if water soaked into
>the tiles, and didn't fully evaporate before re-entry, that flash
>evaporation could break tiles.  I had read of such concerns before
>with respect to the shuttle sitting out in the rain.  Is this truly
>a concern, or am I all wet?  :-)

My understanding of it is that the tiles, officially called the
Thermal Protection System (in NASAese, if it doesn't have three
words in its name you have to add "system") are designed to deal
with rain as long as they are intact.  There is concern about raindrops
encountered aloft, either during atmospheric ascent or descent or
ferry operations, causing pitting of the tile surface.  The tiles
are not homogenous by the way -- they consist of a non-porous ceramic
"glaze" layer encapsulating a very porous ceramic inside.

The tiles are laid over a backing that is basically a felt of
some kind.  Excess water in the felt could lead to steam explosions
damaging tiles, as could steam explosions in individual tiles.
Fortunately the whole system gets a good soaking in hard vacuum
on a normal mission, which should make any water in it sublimate
harmlessly.  I don't know the numbers but without running the
calculations carefully I'd be concerned that an abort during
the first few orbits (or partial orbit) might carry a steam
explosion risk.  Such an abort could occur if the orbiter fails
to achieve a safe orbit or for a medical emergency, for instance.

I'd guess that the forces involved in flash evaporation of water
at ordinary temperatures in vacuum would not be great enough to
damage an otherwise nominal tile.