[sci.space.shuttle] What happened to KSC Shuttle Landings

al@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Al Viall) (09/26/89)

I just finished an article in Sept's. issue of DISCOVER which tells of
alternate landing sites for the shuttles depending upon different
variations of the flight path. I did not know there were sites in Spain
and Northwestern Africa.
My question to the board is this. Wasn't there alot of talk many years
ago, of using the landing strip at KSC for all shuttle landings, and leaving
Edwards and White Sands as the alternates?
Are they still planning this, or has it been scrapped?

Albert Viall

--
  | INTERNET: al@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG  |  FLASH: "Dan Quayle's face    |
  |     UUCP: ..!amdahl!tcnet!questar!al | seen on Mars" It Looks Puzzled|

In article <3410@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> al@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Al Viall) writes:
>... Wasn't there alot of talk many years
>ago, of using the landing strip at KSC for all shuttle landings, and leaving
>Edwards and White Sands as the alternates?
>Are they still planning this, or has it been scrapped?

It's been scrapped, for the foreseeable future anyway.  The trouble is that
KSC is a lousy place to land a shuttle.  The weather is too changeable.  It
is not at all unheard-of for a small thunderstorm to come into existence in
the length of time between shuttle retrofire and landing.  The weather
at Edwards is both better and more predictable, and in addition the dry
lakebed provides an enormous emergency runway that is not too sensitive
to minor piloting errors.  The disadvantage is that ferrying the bird back
to KSC adds cost and delay; this is now seen as a worthwhile tradeoff.
--
"Where is D.D. Harriman now,   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
when we really *need* him?"    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/26/89)

al@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Al Viall) writes:

>My question to the board is this. Wasn't there alot of talk many years
>ago, of using the landing strip at KSC for all shuttle landings, and leaving
>Edwards and White Sands as the alternates?
>Are they still planning this, or has it been scrapped?

After the Challenger they decided that there were too many risks involved to
land at KSC (no alternate runway, swamp all around, etc)

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

art@buengc.BU.EDU (A. R. Thompson) (10/08/89)

In article <1173@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>al@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Al Viall) writes:
>
>>My question to the board is this. Wasn't there alot of talk many years
>>ago, of using the landing strip at KSC for all shuttle landings, and leaving
>>Edwards and White Sands as the alternates?
>>Are they still planning this, or has it been scrapped?
>

>After the Challenger they decided that there were too many risks involved to
>land at KSC (no alternate runway, swamp all around, etc)

Did any of the shuttle flights ever actually land at KSC?

In article <4468@buengc.BU.EDU> art@buengc.bu.edu (A. R. Thompson) writes:
>>After the Challenger they decided that there were too many risks involved to
>>land at KSC (no alternate runway, swamp all around, etc)
>
>Did any of the shuttle flights ever actually land at KSC?

Yes, a few of them did.  Before Challenger, NASA was trying quite hard to
make KSC the primary landing site, although there were a number of diversions
to Edwards for weather reasons.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

aviator@athena.mit.edu (Joakim Karlsson) (10/08/89)

In article <4468@buengc.BU.EDU> art@buengc.bu.edu (A. R. Thompson) writes:
>In article <1173@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>>
>>After the Challenger they decided that there were too many risks involved to
>>land at KSC (no alternate runway, swamp all around, etc)
>
>Did any of the shuttle flights ever actually land at KSC?

Yes, at least to my knowledge.  I've seen footage of it (courtesy of Imax),
including a view from the cockpit.  It looked liked landing on a carrier
deck, minus a go-around option.  Not much margin for error.  Also, if I recall
the account correctly fog covered the runway within one hour of the landing.

Joakim Karlsson            | iceman@bellerophon.mit.edu
Flying Fanatic in Training | {backbone}!bloom-beacon!bellerophon.mit.edu!iceman
                 "Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
                And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings"