[sci.space.shuttle] Why 3 SSME's?

keithl@loop.UUCP (Keith Lofstrom) (09/20/89)

Why three 2 MegaNewton SSME's rather than one 6MN engine?

Back when NASA was choosing contractors for the SSME, Pratt & Whitney
had a 2MN LH/LOX engine on the shelf;  NASA went with Rocketdyne for
political reasons.  As long as Rocketdyne was developing a new engine
from scratch, why did they choose three engines rather than one?

While there might be some cost savings early in the development of a
smaller engine, there seem to be significant operational advantages to
one large one:

1) Chamber pressure - There's room back there for a 6 meter nozzle,
rather than three 2.4 meter nozzles.  For the same thrust, you could
run at half the chamber pressure and pump pressure.  The turbopumps
are running at engineering limits as it is, they have to be changed
out after each mission, and there has been blade cracking (a failure
here could destroy the shuttle).  I'm told that these pumps are
running at 3 times the pressure of any previous effort.  This sounds
like a catastrophe waiting to happen.

2) Less things to fail - with one engine rather than three, even with
the same chamber pressure, there is a 3x improvement in reliability.

3) It is probably cheaper to change out one large engine than three
smaller ones.  Heavier lifting equipment is required, but it's easier
to use what you've got if you can come in from all sides.

Well, I could run on, but perhaps someone with more knowledge of rocket
engines, or the history of SSME development, can pick up from here.
It's probably silly to reinvent the wheel, but it's good to know the
right way to do things when the time comes to do it again.

--
Keith Lofstrom    keithl@loop    tektronix!psueea!qiclab!loop!keithl
Launch Loop, P.O. Box 1538, Portland, Oregon 97207   (503)-628-3645

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (09/22/89)

Well, for one thing, it means that if one engine fails, the other two may
still be able to get the shuttle to orbit.  This has in fact happened at
least once.  With one engine, if it cuts out, you've got yourself a sub-orbital
glider.

In general redundant systems are a good idea.  The flip side is that you may
have three times as many possibilities of catastrophic failure, but that's
not a trade-off I can make judgements on.

   Robert

ccsupos@prism.gatech.EDU (SCHREIBER, O. A.) (09/22/89)

In article <24@loop.UUCP> keithl@loop.UUCP (Keith Lofstrom) writes:

>Why three 2 MegaNewton SSME's rather than one 6MN engine?

Would an F-1 have been possible? Less specific impulse but denser
fuel.
>Back when NASA was choosing contractors for the SSME, Pratt & Whitney
>had a 2MN LH/LOX engine on the shelf;  NASA went with Rocketdyne for
>political reasons.
I read about that too. For what market did P&W intend its product
or why was it ready so much earlier than Rocketdyne's?
Also, about the shuttle, I have an issue of "Discover" (end of
'85) that deals with the design history of the shuttle.
In addition to the early horizontal takeoff and landing
configurations which make sense to me (less thrust necessary
on the vehicle) my attention was caught by the mention that
in '74 two features were dropped from the design:
Air breathing engines for rentry flight
and Abort rockets.
If the orbiter weighs 80 tons and one has two 50 tons abort rockets
to lift away the orbiter from the rest of the stack in case of
SRB ("major") malfunction during ascent I think it would have
been worthwhile to keep that feature in the design of what was
supposed to become a routine access to space vehicle. I must
add that on the drawing of 'Discover', the two rockets were
positioned at the trailing edge of the wing of the Orbiter.
After all, all the early manned space vehicle had abort rockets
albeit in the form of escape towers. It seems to me that you don't
just design a manned space vehicle by being satisfied with a
percentage of catastrophic failure low enough, you ought to
supply a backup escape system at least in the most traumatic
sequence of flight (vertical ascent).
About the Challenger accident,
the public was struck by the fact that once the problem
occured, the astronauts could not do anything and the press,
long after Challenger exploded kept on speculating on how
long some of the crew members stayed conscious.
Sure, there was nothing that could be done about the shuttle
to prevent the loss of the crew or may be there was...back in
1974 when they drop the escape rockets from the design.
By the way, the Europeans quickly put an escape system in the
planning of their Hermes project soon after the accident whereas
they had not planned for any prior to that.

--
Olivier Schreiber (404)894 6147, Office of Computing Services
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ccsupos

kcarroll@utzoo.uucp (Kieran A. Carroll) (09/22/89)

>keithl@loop.UUCP (Keith Lofstrom) writes:
>
>Why three 2 MegaNewton SSME's rather than one 6MN engine?
>Back when NASA was choosing contractors for the SSME, Pratt & Whitney
>had a 2MN LH/LOX engine on the shelf;  NASA went with Rocketdyne for
>political reasons.  As long as Rocketdyne was developing a new engine
>from scratch, why did they choose three engines rather than one?

One good reason for multiple engines is in order to have a "one engine
out" capability --- that is, retaining the ability to attain orbit
even if an engine fails sometime during launch. This capability was
demonstrated on one of the early shuttle flights, when an apparent
fault in one engine forced it to be shut down early; the remaining two
engines were sufficient for an abort-to-orbit, as I recall.

--

     Kieran A. Carroll @ U of Toronto Aerospace Institute
     uunet!attcan!utzoo!kcarroll kcarroll@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <14647@netnews.upenn.edu> rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) writes:
>Well, for one thing, it means that if one engine fails, the other two may
>still be able to get the shuttle to orbit.  This has in fact happened at
>least once.  With one engine, if it cuts out, you've got yourself a sub-orbital
>glider.

Or worse.  There are points during the shuttle's ascent where a multi-engine
failure is guaranteed fatal -- there is no possibility of making orbit and
the altitude/speed combination is wrong for a safe reentry.
--
"Where is D.D. Harriman now,   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
when we really *need* him?"    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (09/29/89)

In article <1979@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccsupos@prism.gatech.EDU (SCHREIBER, O. A.) writes:
>In article <24@loop.UUCP> keithl@loop.UUCP (Keith Lofstrom) writes:
> ---
>albeit in the form of escape towers. It seems to me that you don't
>just design a manned space vehicle by being satisfied with a
>percentage of catastrophic failure low enough, you ought to
>supply a backup escape system at least in the most traumatic
>sequence of flight (vertical ascent).

It seems to me that manned aircraft are designed exactly like this, by
keeping a failure rate low.  Perhaps this is a bad approach, but if it's
good enough for commercial aircraft, it should be valid for spacecraft as
well.

Thomas C. Murphy                  Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
         Internet:   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu
             BITNET:     TMURPHY@WPI           BIX:  tmurphy
                          CompuServe: 73766,130

If the Universe is constantly expanding, why can't I ever find a parking space?

ccsupos@prism.gatech.EDU (SCHREIBER, O. A.) (09/29/89)

In article <4337@wpi.wpi.edu> tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) writes:
>>albeit in the form of escape towers. It seems to me that you don't
>>just design a manned space vehicle by being satisfied with a
>>percentage of catastrophic failure low enough, you ought to
>>supply a backup escape system at least in the most traumatic
>>sequence of flight (vertical ascent).
>
>It seems to me that manned aircraft are designed exactly like this, by
>keeping a failure rate low.
>Perhaps this is a bad approach, but if it's
>good enough for commercial aircraft,
>it should be valid for spacecraft as well

I would like to know how low the percentage of catastrophic
failure was for the shuttle when they sized its reliability.
I think that they cannot make it as low as that of an airliner
because of the vertical take off phase which involves
by definition enormous thrust levels. This
is why I say that they should have kept the concept of the
escape system... or gone to a horizontal take off configuration.

In article <2152@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccsupos@prism.gatech.EDU (SCHREIBER, O. A.) writes:
>I think that they cannot make [risk] as low as that of an airliner
>because of the vertical take off phase which involves
>by definition enormous thrust levels...

The thrust:weight ratio of the shuttle at launch is not much higher than
modern jet fighters.  (Conventional ones, not Harriers [which *can* take
off vertically].)  And the shuttle's engines only have to run for a few
minutes between overhauls, while jet engines are expected to run for days.
There is no intrinsic reason why rockets should be less reliable than jets,
and NASP notwithstanding, they have enormous performance advantages.

(Max Hunter has commented, roughly:  "If the Wright Brothers had had engines
with the thrust:weight ratio of modern rockets, there probably wouldn't be
a runway on Earth.")
--
"Where is D.D. Harriman now,   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
when we really *need* him?"    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Mike.Pompura@f49.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Pompura) (10/04/89)

I submitted a proposal to NASA and Rockwell that involved the escape
sequence for a shuttle PES system.

Basically what it was is a method of escape for the astronauts in the
event of a Challenger-type mishap.  It was dismissed as not being cost
effective.

I suggested that the pressurized inner crew cabin be severed from any
remaining orbiter pieces by explosive bolts <the shuttle carries a
multitude of explosives already>, and provided with a series of drogue
and main parachutes stowed near the front landing gear, attached to the
inner crew cabin.  In the event of a catastrophe that renders the
orbiter non-suitable for flight  <no fancy abort maneuvers>, the only
other alternative for escape is either the crew abandons ship and bails
out with parachutes <a clever task - ask any WWII bomber pilot>, or
they remain in the crew cabin, firmly seated in their chairs - whiffing
the O2 emergency supply, and having the PES system save their butts.

The explosive bolts clean off any remaining debris from the crew cabin,
it free-falls or "tumbles" to clear the explosion zone, and implemenets
the series of parachutes near the foreward attaching area.  They settle
back to the earth in this aluminum tin can to either land or sea ala
Apollo splashdown.  The sea impact represents an additional challenge
in the form of buoyancy, but nothing to impractical.

  The Challenger episode represented the extreme of an accident
scenario...and the inner crew cabin remained INTACT untill it hit the
ocean surface at 200 mph <give or take>.  If they had parachutes at
this point, they could have had a better chance for survival.

This is one chance that apparently the powers-to-be deam
non-cost-effective.

 I would be interested in hearing your commentsa on my PES design
proposal.  BTW: PES= Parachute Emergency System.

--
Fidonet:  Mike Pompura via 1:363/9
Internet: Mike.Pompura@f49.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (10/11/89)

In article <538.252A3A3B@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Mike.Pompura@f49.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Pompura) writes:

>I submitted a proposal to NASA and Rockwell that involved the escape
>sequence for a shuttle PES system.

>Basically what it was is a method of escape for the astronauts in the
>event of a Challenger-type mishap.  It was dismissed as not being cost
>effective.

[Describes a cockpit jettison system with parachutes]

> I would be interested in hearing your commentsa on my PES design
>proposal.  BTW: PES= Parachute Emergency System.

As Gene Miya says, if you have a great idea to make the Shuttle
better, someone probably already thought of it.

The cockpit jettison, with parachutes, was proposed _long_ before the
ALT (Approach and Landing Tests) in 1978.  I remember Fred Haise and
Gordon Fullerton sitting down in the pilots' office here, talking
about it.  They were picking on Fitz Fulton, because he had an escape
hatch in the 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA).  Of course, the SCA
crew had run back behind the cockpit, fire the shaped charges, climb
through a little tunnel, and drop out the bottom of the SCA, but it
was an escape hatch.

As I recall, much of the difficulty in putting an escape capsule
system in the Shuttle is that the Shuttle doesn't have a cockpit
"capsule" that is separable from the rest of the vehicle.  The F-111,
which is the best example of this type of escape system, was designed
and built with just such a capsule, making it feasible.  (Even it
isn't perfect, BTW, but it's probably better than using a regular
ejection seat supersonically.)

Since the entire Shuttle would have to be rebuilt to do this, it's not
practical.  Or cost-effective.

It's very interesting to me that the public is _so_ much more
concerned about things like crew escape systems than are the
astronauts.  The astronauts know how dangerous the Shuttle is.  They
know that they'll probably die if there is an accident.  Yet they
still fight and politick and maneuver for crew assignments and
flights, and don't want to wait around for the Shuttle to be perfectly
safe.

The same is true for test pilots, BTW, and military pilots.  And
others, as well.  On the rare occasions that I've been allowed to fly
in a fighter, I do think about what can go wrong, whether I'll be able
to eject or not, how reliable ejection seats really are, etc, but I
still go fly, because I'm willing to accept the risk.  It's worth it
to me.

But there's risk in everything that we do.  How do you deal with risk?
What do you think about being an astronaut, knowing the safety record?
I'd be at the Cape tomorrow, if they'd let me.  Am I the only one?

--
Mary Shafer   shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

robina@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Robin Adams) (10/12/89)

In article <538.252A3A3B@mamab.FIDONET.ORG>, Mike.Pompura@f49.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Pompura) writes:
> I submitted a proposal to NASA and Rockwell that involved the escape
> sequence for a shuttle PES system.
>
> Basically what it was is a method of escape for the astronauts in the
> event of a Challenger-type mishap.  It was dismissed as not being cost
> effective.
>
> I suggested that the pressurized inner crew cabin be severed from any
> remaining orbiter pieces by explosive bolts <the shuttle carries a
> multitude of explosives already>, and provided with a series of drogue
> and main parachutes stowed near the front landing gear, attached to the
> inner crew cabin.  In the event of .............

 -- I agree. I've always felt NASA's first obligation is to ensure that all
aspects of Challenger should not be able to repeat.

I would however go a couple of steps further on your proposal and suggest:

	1.  The addition of a small escape rocket to get them out of the
            immediate area.

	2.  Quick electrical (and other) disconnects between the inner
            cabin and orbiter to facilitate seperation.

		                                  *    |_____
                                             *         |     |/   Robin
                                                     * |          Adams
                                                       |_____|\
                                                    *  |

ccsupos@prism.gatech.EDU (SCHREIBER, O. A.) (10/12/89)

In article <SHAFER.89Oct11081832@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:

>As Gene Miya says, if you have a great idea to make the Shuttle
>better, someone probably already thought of it.

...and didn't do anything about it you could add.

>Since the entire Shuttle would have to be rebuilt to do this, it's not
>practical.  Or cost-effective.

That is the whole point of engineering: to design something from
the start to meet some functionalities and an escape system for
the propelled phase of the ascent should have been one of them
way back in 1972 when the design was chosen.

>flights, and don't want to wait around for the Shuttle to be perfectly
>safe.

I think this type of vehicle, without an escape system can never
be safe enough.
>still go fly, because I'm willing to accept the risk.  It's worth it
>to me.
[...]
>But there's risk in everything that we do.  How do you deal with risk?

How much risk is the question
--

hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) (10/12/89)

In article <4900@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> robina@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Robin Adams) writes:
>>[Proposal of ``PES'' system to explosively separate shuttle cabin from
>>rest of craft in Challenger-type emergency, and land it under parachute.]
>
> -- I agree. I've always felt NASA's first obligation is to ensure that all
>aspects of Challenger should not be able to repeat.
>
>[Description of additional ``safety'' devices.]

I myself have always felt that NASA's first obligation is to carry out
research into aeronautics and space.  This can't be done without risk;
the key is risk management.

Each ``safety feature'' that is added to a shuttle carries at least three
costs:
	1) Its dollar cost.  Would you rather spend $10 000 000 (random
	   figure) on Shuttle safety, where it *may* save seven lives, or
	   on highway safety?  Or AIDS research?  Or supplying a proper
	   diet to expectant mothers?  Or flood control?  Add your own
	   life-saving program...

	2) Its safety cost.  As Henry Spencer points out every so often,
	   military ejection seats regularly kill careless maintenance
	   workers.  Adding any sort of escape system to a shuttle incurs
	   a non-zero risk of the system being deployed at the wrong time,
	   with potentially disastrous consequences.  Many KSC engineers
	   were *very* worried that the recent dousing of Columbia by a
	   (safety!) sprinkler system might have created some hidden
	   danger.

	3) Its opportunity cost.  Every kilo of ``safety'' equipment is a
	   kilo less of payload.  That's a kilo more that has to be taken
	   up by another flight.  Is it safer to fly n times without the
	   escape system, or n+1 with?

I'd start ranting at this point about how Mary Shafer is dead on, and I'd
jump at a shuttle berth, but we went through that post-51L.  Let's let it
lie this time.
---
John Hogg			hogg@csri.utoronto.ca
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

In article <SHAFER.89Oct11081832@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:
>But there's risk in everything that we do.  How do you deal with risk?
>What do you think about being an astronaut, knowing the safety record?
>I'd be at the Cape tomorrow, if they'd let me.  Am I the only one?

Never mind tomorrow; my credit cards and I would be at the airport in an
hour, ready to grab the first flight south.  (Of course, that might well
end up being tomorrow anyway...)
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <4900@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> robina@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Robin Adams) writes:
>	1.  The addition of a small escape rocket to get them out of the
>            immediate area.

When one is talking about a multi-ton crew cabin, there is no such thing
as a "small" escape rocket that will get them out of the immediate area.
The Apollo escape tower, with a rather smaller cabin to lift, weighed
four tons.
--

colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) (10/12/89)

In article <SHAFER.89Oct11081832@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:
>It's very interesting to me that the public is _so_ much more
>concerned about things like crew escape systems than are the
>astronauts.  The astronauts know how dangerous the Shuttle is.  They
>know that they'll probably die if there is an accident.  Yet they
>still fight and politick and maneuver for crew assignments and
>flights, and don't want to wait around for the Shuttle to be perfectly
>safe.

And I'm sure they understand, as do the engineers, that it never will
be perfectly safe, nor will airplane travel, elevators, eating, and
walking down the sidewalk.  I wonder if the apparent public attitude
that you mentioned is somehow related to the idea that if something
bad happens to me, then it necessarily follows that somebody, somewhere,
needs to be sued for it?

>The same is true for test pilots, BTW, and military pilots.  And
>others, as well.  On the rare occasions that I've been allowed to fly
>in a fighter, I do think about what can go wrong, whether I'll be able
>to eject or not, how reliable ejection seats really are, etc, but I
>still go fly, because I'm willing to accept the risk.  It's worth it
>to me.

No, it's not, Mary.  You're taking foolish risks here.  Next time,
call me, and I'll go up for you.  I know, I know, why would a stranger
do such a nice thing for you, but hey, that's just me.

>But there's risk in everything that we do.  How do you deal with risk?
>What do you think about being an astronaut, knowing the safety record?
>I'd be at the Cape tomorrow, if they'd let me.  Am I the only one?

Heck no.  You and I are the only two. :-)  I've had my application on
file for about 6 years now, and they even check my references every so
often.  (But I guess that either my reviews aren't raving enough or they
don't need computer designers in the shuttle, because that's as far as
it has ever gone so far.)

I think a lot of us see it the same way.  There are rational risks,
like flying airplanes and driving cars, and there are stupid unnecessary
ones, like smoking and having the bureaucratic chain screw up on you
(a la Challenger).  The goal is to take the rational ones where appropriate,
and minimize or eliminate the rest.

Bob Colwell               ..!uunet!mfci!colwell
Multiflow Computer     or colwell@multiflow.com
31 Business Park Dr.
Branford, CT 06405     203-488-6090

phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/12/89)

In article <2430@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccsupos@prism.gatech.EDU (SCHREIBER, O. A.) writes:
>In article <SHAFER.89Oct11081832@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:
>
>>As Gene Miya says, if you have a great idea to make the Shuttle
>>better, someone probably already thought of it.
>...and didn't do anything about it you could add.

No, I wouldn't add that.

>>flights, and don't want to wait around for the Shuttle to be perfectly
>>safe.
>
>I think this type of vehicle, without an escape system can never
>be safe enough.

I'd venture to say that more people die in a typical commercial
airline disaster than died in the Shuttle accident.  What exactly do
you mean by "safe enough"?  Safe enough for paying tourists?  No.
Safe enough for scientific experimentation (which is all it was
intended for)?  I think it is.  And I think that over 100 employees
who are in the astronaut program at NASA/JSC think so too.  That's why
they're still in it.  If prior to 1986 they didn't understand or
realize just how dangerous it was, then Challenger demonstrated it to
them.  But they're still there.  I think that it is "safe enough" for
*the intended purpose*.

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

leech@alanine.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (10/13/89)

In article <538.252A3A3B@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Mike.Pompura@f49.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Pompura) writes:
>I submitted a proposal to NASA and Rockwell that involved the escape
>sequence for a shuttle PES system.
>This is one chance that apparently the powers-to-be deam
>non-cost-effective.

    It isn't cost-effective because of the enormous payload penalty.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    "Opossums ran amok in Chapel Hill this weekend..."

tneale@aeras.UUCP (Tom Neale) (10/14/89)

In article <SHAFER.89Oct11081832@drynix.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:

>But there's risk in everything that we do.  How do you deal with risk?
>What do you think about being an astronaut, knowing the safety record?
>I'd be at the Cape tomorrow, if they'd let me.  Am I the only one?

No Mary, your're not the only one.  My application for Mission Specialist
has been in to Houston for several months (no I'm not holding my
breath, but I can always hope).

It is unfortunate that so many people want all of their technologly
totally risk free.  So few advances are made without sacrifice.  But,
this has all been hashed over before...

--
Blue skies,	| ...sun!aeras!tneale	|
		| in flight:     N2103Q	|         The hurrieder I go
Tom Neale	| in freefall:   D8049	|         the behinder I get.
		| via the ether: WA1YUB	|

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (10/14/89)

In article <9941@thorin.cs.unc.edu> leech@alanine.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) writes:
>In article <538.252A3A3B@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Mike.Pompura@f49.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Pompura) writes:
>>I submitted a proposal to NASA and Rockwell that involved the escape
>>sequence for a shuttle PES system.
>>This is one chance that apparently the powers-to-be deam
>>non-cost-effective.
>
>    It isn't cost-effective because of the enormous payload penalty.
>--
>    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
>    "Opossums ran amok in Chapel Hill this weekend..."
>	_The Daily Tar Heel_, 11/1/88

Hang on a minute.  Do cars have ejection seats?  Do passengers carry
parachutes into airplanes?  It seems to me that one of the original design
considerations was *safe* entry into space.

IE, to pilfer a semi-quote from Gary Hart, the idea is not to  make the
system safe to use whether it fails or not, but to make the thing free
from failure to begin with.

What we need is a completely new design, not merely a re-hashed version of
a proven /unreliable/ spacecraft.

That's not to put the SS down -- I happen to like the idea.  I liked the
original shuttle much better, of course.

The time for the immature/veteran-pilot approach to space flight has to end
someday -- why not now.  Of course, that makes it easier for weenies like
myself to go there.... :-)

David Navas
navas@cory.berkeley.edu
I'm not even responsible for the things I say.... :-)