[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Status for 09/26/89

yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (09/27/89)

            KSC SPACE SHUTTLE PROCESSING REPORT - TUESDAY, SEPT. 26, 1989

                       STS-34  -  ATLANTIS (OV 104) - PAD 39-B

               Overnight, workers installed ordnance devices and tested the
          firing circuits on the vehicle. Preparations are scheduled today
          for loading the dewars on the pad with liquid oxygen and liquid
          hydrogen reactants. Dewar load is planned for early tomorrow
          morning. These propellants will be loaded into Atlantis' power
          reactant storage distribution system during the launch countdown.

               The orbiter's hydraulic system is being prepared for the
          main engine flight readiness test scheduled for Thursday.
          Software is being loaded into the Inertial Upper Stage (IUS)
          computer today for an IUS countdown test scheduled on Friday.
               Launch remains targeted for Oct. 12 at 1:29 p.m. Eastern
          Time. The official launch date will be set at the conclusion of
          the Flight Readiness Review scheduled for Oct. 2-3 here at KSC.

                     STS-33  -  DISCOVERY (OV 103)  -  OPF BAY 1

               Technicians have begun cleaning the payload bay beginning
          with the aft end of the bay and working forward as rollover
          preparations continue. Discovery is schedueld to be transferred
          to the Vehicle Assembly Building in less than two weeks.
          Hydraulic operations are planned this week. These include a final
          cycle of the aerosurfaces and a brake anti-skid test.  A flight
          pressurization test of the main propulsion system helium system
          is scheduled Thursday. Only nine tile cavities remain.

                       STS-32 - COLUMBIA (OV 102) - OPF BAY 2

               The orbiter was powered up at 9:30 this morning with no
          problems. The payload bay doors are scheduled to be opened today.
          This will allow a detailed inspection of any water penetration
          from the inadvertent activation of the Firex water system on
          Sunday. Thermal protection system operations are underway today
          to get the system ready for flight. Routine tests of the
          orbiter's systems are scheduled to resume tomorrow.

                         STS-33 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB

               Technicians are bonding the last piece of closeout cork on
          the right forward segment today. Preparations to mate the
          external tank are underway. The tank will be transferred to the
          high bay this afternoon and mated early tomorrow morning.

                         STS-32 SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS - VAB

               Technicians are calibrating instrumentation on the left aft
          booster today. The left aft center segment is scheduled for
          stacking the end of the week.

dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;6291545;92-101;OPUS_SW;) (10/06/89)

Peter E. Yee writes:

>                       STS-34  -  ATLANTIS (OV 104) - PAD 39-B
>
>               Overnight, workers installed ordnance devices and tested the
>          firing circuits on the vehicle.

"Ordnance devices"?  "firing circuits"?  What, pray tell, are they going to
blow up?  Are these devices explosive bolts or photon torpedoes?

---
Dan Tilque	--	dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM

"You may fire when ready, Mr. Sulu."

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (10/06/89)

In article <334@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;6291545;92-101;OPUS_SW;) writes:

>Peter E. Yee writes:
>>
>>           STS-34  -  ATLANTIS (OV 104) - PAD 39-B
>>
>>  Overnight, workers installed ordnance devices and tested the
>>  firing circuits on the vehicle.

>"Ordnance devices"?  "firing circuits"?  What, pray tell, are they going to
>blow up?  Are these devices explosive bolts or photon torpedoes?

If it's supposed to explode, it's ordnance.  The storage and handling
requirements don't really discriminate between explosive bolts and 30
mm cannon shells, for example.

In ejection seats, the explosive materials are usually called pyros
(for pyrotechnical materials?), as in canopy pyro or seat pyro.

Maybe it's ordnance if it's outside and pyro if it's inside.
--
Mary Shafer   shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

In article <334@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
>>               Overnight, workers installed ordnance devices and tested the
>>          firing circuits on the vehicle.
>
>"Ordnance devices"?  "firing circuits"?  What, pray tell, are they going to
>blow up?  Are these devices explosive bolts or photon torpedoes?

Most modern launchers are full of explosive bolts, explosive cable cutters,
explosive-actuated valves, etc.  The shuttle is no exception.
--
Nature is blind; Man is merely |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
shortsighted (and improving).  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

johnson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (10/10/89)

>In article <334@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
>>               Overnight, workers installed ordnance devices and tested the
>>          firing circuits on the vehicle.
>
>"Ordnance devices"?  "firing circuits"?  What, pray tell, are they going to
>blow up?  Are these devices explosive bolts or photon torpedoes?

There is also, of course, the few pounds of explosives in the SRB and ET.
Used by the Range Safty Officer in case these start heading (uncontrolled)
into populated areas.  They had to use this on one of the Challenger SRBs.
--
Wayne Johnson                 (Voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.             (E-MAIL) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or

leech@cassatt.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (10/14/89)

In article <334@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
>"Ordnance devices"?  "firing circuits"?  What, pray tell, are they going to
>blow up?

    Hopefully, Jeremy Rifkin and his ilk.

>"You may fire when ready, Mr. Sulu."

    Neo-Luddites coming on screen now...
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``Those what cannot remedy the past can pretend to repeal it."