[sci.space.shuttle] Launch Advisory for 10/11/89

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (10/12/89)

Sarah Keegan
Headquarters, Washington, D.C.                   October 11, 1989

LAUNCH ADVISORY:  STS-34 MISSION

     NASA officials today evaluated the work that will remain
after changing out the number 2 main engine controller to prepare
the Atlantis for its next flight.  They have estimated there is a
fifty-fifty chance of completing the necessary work in time to
launch on Tuesday, Oct. 17.

     Shuttle engineers and technicians will work towards an
objective of launch on Tuesday, but managers will make a final
decision at about noon on Saturday, Oct. 14, as to whether a
Tuesday launch is achievable or whether the launch will occur on
Wednesday, Oct. 18.

snidely@inteloa.intel.com (David P. Schneider) (10/16/89)

In article <33410@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>Sarah Keegan
>Headquarters, Washington, D.C.                   October 11, 1989
>
>LAUNCH ADVISORY:  STS-34 MISSION
>
>     Shuttle engineers and technicians will work towards an
>objective of launch on Tuesday, but managers will make a final
>decision at about noon on Saturday, Oct. 14...

The word Saturday evening was "Go for Tuesday".  The launch  window  is  26
minutes long, starting near 12:30 PM [EST, probably].

The launch window is determined by the exepected send-off of  Galileo.   If
the  shuttle  launched  outside  this  window, NASA would need more dynamic
plans than they currently support [as I  understand  it,  mostly  from  the
net],  so it becomes easier to roll over to the next day while still on the
ground.

                                                David P. Schneider
                                                     BiiN (tm)
                                                   Monday, 10.16