[sci.space.shuttle] Space Shuttle Cargo

ken@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Hall) (10/20/89)

Can anyone tell me whether the plutonium-257 aboard the last flight occurs
naturally in the earth or if it's synthetic?

--
Ken Hall - Department Manager         |    Bellnet:  (404) 894-5559
Office of the Assoc. VP for Bus & Fin |    Bitnet:   khall@gtri01.gatech.edu

gt0818a@prism.gatech.EDU (Paul E. Robichaux) (10/20/89)

In article <9396@pyr.gatech.EDU> ken@pyr.gatech.edu (Ken Hall) writes:
>Can anyone tell me whether the plutonium-257 aboard the last flight occurs
>naturally in the earth or if it's synthetic?
>
>--
>Ken Hall - Department Manager         |    Bellnet:  (404) 894-5559
>Office of the Assoc. VP for Bus & Fin |    Bitnet:   khall@gtri01.gatech.edu
>Georgia Institute of Technology       |    Internet: ken@pyr.gatech.edu

1. First, there's no such thing as Pu-257. Someone's pulling your leg.

2. Pu-238 is manmade; first discovered by Glenn Seaborg of Caltech, it is
produced in breeder reactors designed specifically to manufacture it. It is
not pleasant stuff at all.

-Paul
--
Paul E. Robichaux                  |"Collateral damage is the number of women
Georgia Institute of Technology    | and children you kill when attempting to do

kellogg@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Rob -Not from Bloom County- Binkley) (10/21/89)

In article <9396@pyr.gatech.EDU> ken@pyr.gatech.edu.gatech.edu (Ken Hall) writes:
>Can anyone tell me whether the plutonium-257 aboard the last flight occurs
>naturally in the earth or if it's synthetic?
>
>--
>Ken Hall - Department Manager         |    Bellnet:  (404) 894-5559
>Office of the Assoc. VP for Bus & Fin |    Bitnet:   khall@gtri01.gatech.edu
>Georgia Institute of Technology       |    Internet: ken@pyr.gatech.edu
Here's a quote that might shed some light (or radiation) on the subject:

"Beyond uranium there are other elements that do not naturally occur on Earth.
They are synthesized by human beings and in most cases promptly fall to pieces.
One of them, Element 94, is called plutonium and is one of the most toxic
substances known.  Unfortunately, it falls to pieces rather slowly."

					     COSMOS
					     by Carl Sagan

Gary Kellogg	kellogg@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov

tjoe@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Tjiong Tjoe) (10/21/89)

In article <2665@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0818a@prism.gatech.EDU (Paul E. Robichaux) writes:

>2. Pu-238 is manmade; first discovered by Glenn Seaborg of Caltech, it is

	Actually, I thought it was Glen Seaborg of U.C. Berkeley.

						Ed Wang

In article <9396@pyr.gatech.EDU> ken@pyr.gatech.edu.gatech.edu (Ken Hall) writes:
>Can anyone tell me whether the plutonium-257 aboard the last flight occurs
>naturally in the earth or if it's synthetic?

Well, it's plutonium 238, actually.  And no, it's entirely synthetic.
Very small traces of plutonium 239 do occur in nature, in uranium ores --
transmuted from uranium naturally, in the same way that it's done in
reactors.  The amounts are much too small to be of practical interest,
though.  The natural production rate is miniscule, and the half-life is
short by geological standards.  There might be a few atoms of natural
plutonium 238 on Earth somewhere, in uranium or thorium ore, but its
half-life is so short that there wouldn't be any detectable amount.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <371@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> kellogg@skipper.UUCP (Gary Kellogg - No relation to Tony the Tiger) writes:
>"Beyond uranium there are other elements that do not naturally occur on Earth.
>They are synthesized by human beings and in most cases promptly fall to pieces.
>One of them, Element 94, is called plutonium and is one of the most toxic
>substances known.  Unfortunately, it falls to pieces rather slowly."
>
>					     COSMOS
>					     by Carl Sagan

Do remember that Chairman Carl is an expert only in certain aspects of
planetary science and astronomy, despite his tendency to shoot his mouth
off on many topics.  There are better references than "Cosmos" on a topic
like this.  E.g., any decent encyclopedia, volume "P".