[sci.space.shuttle] Need info on Venus probe

NCS12503@merrimack.edu (10/23/89)

Hi Everyone.

Can anyone tell me about the space probe that went to map the surface of Venus?
I believe the name of the probe was Magellan, but I can not confirm this.  It
was launched about a year ago from a space shuttle.  Any advice you can give
will be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to do a report for my astronomy
class of probes of the '80s.

Kevin Yetman
Merrimack College
Merrimack User # NCS12503

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (10/24/89)

In article <9271@merrimack.edu> NCS12503@merrimack.edu writes:
>I believe the name of the probe was Magellan, but I can not confirm this.  It
>was launched about a year ago from a space shuttle.  Any advice you can give
>will be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to do a report for my astronomy
>class of probes of the '80s.

While we're at it --

Contributions to the Let's Buy The Merrimack College Library A
Periodical Section And Teach The Kids How To Use It Fund should
be mailed to

	The Marsface T. Proxmire Foundation
	PO Box 6000SUX
	Lexophobia, MD 66666

--
Hey, where'd the Colombian Coffee ads go all of   %8  Tom Neff
a sudden!  Is Juan Valdez hiding in Panama?       8%  tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (10/24/89)

In article <9271@merrimack.edu> NCS12503@merrimack.edu writes:

>Can anyone tell me about the space probe that went to map the surface of Venus?
>I believe the name of the probe was Magellan, but I can not confirm this.  It
>was launched about a year ago from a space shuttle.  Any advice you can give
>will be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to do a report for my astronomy
>class of probes of the '80s.

Magellan was launched last May from the Space Shuttle. Its main objectives
is to collect geological data of Venus including surface morphology, density
distribution and the interior dynamics of the planet and small-scale surface
characteristics. Magellan will arrive at Venus in August 1990 (sidenote:
Galileo will get to Venus in February before Magellan) and radar map the
planet for 243 days. Magellan is equipped with an altimeter and radiometer,
a high-gain and low-gain attenna and a star scanner. The global imaging has
a resolution of 820 feet and a vertical accuracy of 98 feet on the global
topography.

For more details, contact the Public Information Office at JPL

             Ron Baalke                        (818) 541-2341 ext 260
             Jet Propulsion Lab  M/S 301-355
             4800 Oak Grove Dr.
             Pasadena, CA 91109